Author Topic: Dovercourt Essex School?  (Read 4049 times)

Offline Lorrie127

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Dovercourt Essex School?
« on: Saturday 28 March 09 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Can any one give me any information or point me in the right direction as to where to find any as to what school was located at Orwell Terrace, Dovercourt. One of my relatives was there in 1911.
Thanks
Lorrie
Brown - Willaston, Capenhurst & Birkenhead
Marshall, Harrison, Twist, Meadows, Moss - Lancs
Carson - Liverpool & Birkenhead
Connolly, Driscoll, Holland - London & Ireland
Aldred - Lancs & Birkenhead
Jarvis, Barnett - Shropshire
Roscoe - Willaston & Birkenhead
Bennett - Capenhurst
Lamb, Curson - Norfolk
Hastings - Birmingham

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
Re: Dovercourt Essex School?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 March 09 17:02 GMT (UK) »
just posting so I can follow this - have a similar query about Dovercourt school attended by 3 brothers from this very period !
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bobsdog

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 September 10 20:08 BST (UK) »
There was a convent and small school at the top end of Orwell Terrace run by the sisters of the Convent of Mary Help for Christians.  The following from"Harwich, Dovercourt and Parkeston, Then and Now" by Phil Cowley may be of interest; "Over the years there have been several small schools in Orwell Terrace, including one run by Thomas Lermit (born in the East Indies) described as Clergyman and Master at Dedham School in the 1860's. He had seven scholars living in. By the turn of the century Rosa Bidwell ran a school from several of the houses."
In 1888 J.Whickham Towser had his Dovercourt High School for Boys at No. 9 Orwell Terrace.

Offline Harwich

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 August 11 09:43 BST (UK) »
Can any one give me any information or point me in the right direction as to where to find any as to what school was located at Orwell Terrace, Dovercourt. One of my relatives was there in 1911.
Thanks
Lorrie

Hi I Was wondering if you found any more info re dovercourt convent, im trying to find picture and
stories from the convent for my web site on harwich & dovercourt
would be interested to hear from you

thanks
steve

Offline bobsdog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 August 11 11:51 BST (UK) »
The convent alas is no more. It was the end building of Orwell Terrace, closest to the sea. About 5-6 years ago, possibly more, the foundations became unstable and the whole building fell down. Orwell Terrace still exists, mostly converted into flats, it's only the convent that collapsed.
What photographs in particular did you want? I could probably find one of the convent as it was originally.
I assume that you don't live in the area?

Offline bobsdog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 August 11 11:54 BST (UK) »
just posting so I can follow this - have a similar query about Dovercourt school attended by 3 brothers from this very period !

There were several schools in Dovercourt and the surrounding area at this time, more than ten as a guess, if you can be more specific, I may be able to help.

Offline Harwich

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 August 11 12:21 BST (UK) »
The convent alas is no more. It was the end building of Orwell Terrace, closest to the sea. About 5-6 years ago, possibly more, the foundations became unstable and the whole building fell down. Orwell Terrace still exists, mostly converted into flats, it's only the convent that collapsed.
What photographs in particular did you want? I could probably find one of the convent as it was originally.
I assume that you don't live in the area?

i have lived here for 43 years, my dad talked about the convent and i've heard stories about life in the convent,but never seen any photos..

Offline bobsdog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 07 August 11 12:32 BST (UK) »
In that case, I probably know one or both of your parents!
Orwell Terrace was built around 1847 by John Bagshaw, an East India Merchant, who had big ambitions for Dovercourt, just as well that he cannot see the condition of the town now!

Offline bobsdog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 08 August 11 13:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks
Lorrie

Hi I Was wondering if you found any more info re dovercourt convent, im trying to find picture and
stories from the convent for my web site on harwich & dovercourt
would be interested to hear from you

thanks
steve

Just found on another web site;

The Convent in Orwell Road
I was brought up in a Convent in Orwell Road between the years 1947 and 1954. The Convent was vacated in the summer of 1954 and moved to Hastings a year after the sea wall broke which demolished the old school in Harwich.
When I visited the convent again in 1980 it was still there, only standing derelict. I wondered if the building was still standing.

Ruth Wright