Author Topic: All Saints, Sudbury PR Look-up Please - James ROGERS c1733  (Read 6164 times)

Offline petey22

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Charles Bocking Rogers & sons, Hendon1903
    • View Profile
All Saints, Sudbury PR Look-up Please - James ROGERS c1733
« on: Saturday 28 March 09 16:39 GMT (UK) »
dear all

usually I don't get a reply for this type of request  :-\ but, please, does anyone have access to all Saints, Sudbury, parish records ??  ::)

I'm looking for a James Rogers c1733, of All Saints Sudbury (IGI) so maybe from another district ? as it seems that a few weeks as resident in the district gives the status of ' of this district ',,,, married to Martha Archer c1735 of st Gregory, Sudbury, married 6-2-1758, All Saints, Sudbury. ( all from Family search, IGI )

OK, my problem is, I have taken this information from a fellow researcher but didn't double-check, and now see that James is added to the family that can be reconstructed from IGI of Timothy Rogers c1690 and Susan (annah) Whitlock of Sudbury All Saints, but it seems that James is the only sibling that receives the status 'abt' and no mention of parents, and simply ' of All Saints Sudbury'

A marriage entry for James and Martha would possibly reveal Fathers name's ? or possibly witnesses that may give clues ? and of course a possible birth entry for James in 1733 would be fantastic !

Please, this is my last gasp hope other than flying from Holland back to 'ol blighty' to visit to the records office or pay for research service there. If anyone can help me in any way, I would be more than willing to refund any expenses that may be met  ;D and extremely grateful to any kind soul willing to help  ;D this is so very important to my research from afar to me  :D
Many thanks in advance for reading my request and for any help  ::)

all the best

Pete Rogers

Sudbury Suffolk, Bocking/Braintree Essex, Hendon/Bethnal green Middx.

Offline Keeweegal

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: All Saints, Sudbury PR Look-up Please - James ROGERS c1733
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 March 09 10:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Pete  :D

May I suggest you refer the Suffolk Surnames website and locate a person who may do the look up for you....who also have access to parish records,  alternatively visit the Suffolk Records Office and request research,  they have the on-line applications and you can arrange from overseas.  Highly Recommended,  they are fabulous!!

www.suffolk-surnames-list.co.uk

Good Luck  :D

Kimberly

Offline annes

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 April 09 15:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Pete

I tried to look at Sudbury parish registers for you at the RO but unfortunately all they have on film/fiche are handwritten parish register transcripts, therefore marriage entries etc just give the bride, groom and the date, and no witnesses or anything.

Unfortunately, of all the baptisms of children for Timothy and Susan, James was not amongst them.

I hope some of the following might be helpful though.

Sudbury All Saints
James Rogers m. Susanna Cornwell
27th May 1756

James s/o James and Susan Rogers
baptised 23rd February 1757

Susan w/o James Rogers buried 6th April 1757

Sudbury All Saints
James Rogers (W) m. Martha Archer
6th February 1758

Children of James and Martha:

Elizabeth 4th Jan 1759
James 27th Feb 1760
Ann 8th Apr 1761
Nehemiah 16th Nov 1763
Zachariah 3rd May 1765 - buried 22nd May 1765
Zachariah 3rd Apr 1767 - buried 26th Apr 1767
Zachariah 16th June 1768
Martha 17th Apr 1770
Timothy 27th May 1772 - buried 26th june 1772
Ann 9th Jan 1774 - buried 8th Feb 1774
George and William - 20th Jan 1782 - William buried 5th Apr 1775
Elizabeth - 27th June 1782

Anne

Offline petey22

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 April 09 19:57 BST (UK) »
hi ya Kimberley  ;D

thanks very much for that,,,, completely forgot about the ' Suffolk Sirnames ' ,,, I have contacted them and hope for an interesting reply  ::) and yes I'm in the process of getting a list of questions together for the Suffolk records office research dept,,,

Anne,, how very kind of you to check at the Records office for me,, thankyou  :o ;) 

How interesting to see that James was a widow at the time of his marriage to Martha Archer, I was not aware of this at all !

So he was originally married to Susanna Cornwell and they even had a son ; James jnr,, although it seems Susanna dies a couple of months after his birth,, and I think that James jnr. may have died too as James and Martha have a son ; James in 1760,, what a drama !!!  :'(

I had found the children of James and Martha, the third Zechariah being my direct ancestor and I think that I heard or read that the first two Zechariah's are actually buried or have a plaque(s) within All Saints church itself ?
but thank you for this additional information.

all the best

Pete

Offline petey22

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 April 09 18:00 BST (UK) »
hi ya all  ;D

well this is going to prove difficult to find the parents of James Rogers ( abt 1733 ) or find proof that his parents were Timothy Rogers and Susannah Whitlock  ???

Just thinking out loud now,, please bare with me,,, I'm thinking about the Bishops transcripts,,, but aren't they just copies from the Parish records and therefore will only have the same information as the Parish records ? 

Unfortunately, of all the baptisms of children for Timothy and Susan, James was not amongst them.

This is making me think even more that he was not one of their children,, if the rest are listed and James not,,,, a little strange ?
I'll check IGI for a James Rogers born 1728 - 1738 and see if that helps,,,,  :-\  hope that there will not be too many,, maybe

all the best
Pete

Offline petey22

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 April 09 19:25 BST (UK) »
hiya again
well, I contacted 'Suffolk Sirnames' and within the reply was the following ;
could be on one of the many faded pages impossible to read..
this may be the reason that there is no baptism entry and an ' abt' with no parents name for James Rogers ?
does any one know by chance which year(s) are unreadable ? if this coresponds, then a good explanation !

Maybe they have been transcribed many years ago ? before they became unreadable ? plus I am thinking of the Bishops transcripts ?

all the best
Pete

Offline petey22

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 April 18 20:08 BST (UK) »
Dear all,
I made a trip to England and went to the Bury records office to obtain prints of all the entries that Ann so kindly looked up for me. At a pound a throw, it was worth it  ;D
Also, as Ann pointed out, James was (suspiciously) missing  :o The pages were not smudged or unreadable, so what has happened here ? It looks to me that I may have inherited a tree which has been put together with sticky tape, trying to make things fit ?
Would Timothy and Susan have moved their baptism's to St. Gregory or St. Peter's for a year or two ? The death entry only mentions his name and burial, so no clues there. The two marriages also reveal no clues  :P
Does anyone have any ideas on where to go from here ? Any suggestions would be gratefully received  :D
all the best
Pete Rogers

P.s. a huge horah ! for the fantastic and helpful staff at the Bury RO

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 09 April 18 22:22 BST (UK) »
If the Zechariahs have a plaque in the church then this might suggest that the family were well off enough to have wills so you could have a hunt for those

Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline petey22

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 10 April 18 20:19 BST (UK) »
hi Steviesteve,

now that looks like the beginnings of a seriously good plan ! Thanks for that. When I visited all Saints I couldn't find the plaque as the Church was being renovated inside and all the walls where covered up or had stuff pilled up against them.
But anyway, Wills are to be found at the National archives site ? Do ancestry and those sites have wills too ?

all the best
Pete