Author Topic: All Saints, Sudbury PR Look-up Please - James ROGERS c1733  (Read 6173 times)

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: All Saints, Sudbury PR Look-up Please - James ROGERS c1733
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 10 April 18 21:05 BST (UK) »
Locations of Wills are complicated...

Simplifying hugely:

National Archives have wills that were proved at the Prerogative Courts of Canterbury - these should be for those who had property in both North and South of England i.e. the richest in the land but there was also a snobbery value plus also if you held Government bonds or were a sailor who died on service or... all sorts of other reasons you might have the will dealt with there. No harm in looking, they're searchable by name on both Ancestry and the National Archives site

Less well off would have their wills read in local (arch)diocesan courts so it would be back to the Suffolk Record Offices again

However they have an explanatory page here

https://www.suffolkarchives.co.uk/probate-records/pre-1858-wills/

and there's 11 pages of search results here (I didn't find anything searching for John Rogers will Sudbury but don't my word for it)

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01lvs/

And if you don't find anything there, then you could just search for Rogers and see if you can find any likely relatives

Good luck!
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline petey22

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Charles Bocking Rogers & sons, Hendon1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 10 April 18 21:15 BST (UK) »
simple is good  ;D
Looking forward to this. Many thanks, I will post any success.
again thanks for the help  ;D
Sudbury Suffolk, Bocking/Braintree Essex, Hendon/Bethnal green Middx.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 10 April 18 22:06 BST (UK) »
Pre1858 there were three levels of probate courts covering Suffolk and the odd exception.

For Sudbury itself, top court as Steve says would be Prerogative Court of Canterbury, next would be Norwich Consistory Court whose records are held at Norfolk Records Office, and the lowest court was Archdeaconry of Sudbury.  These are the courts for what would be the Archdeaconry of Sudbury area which is pretty much most of the west of the county.  Archdeaconry Court of Sudbury probate records are held at Bury St Edmunds Record Office but as Steve has said, you can search for them on the main SRO website.

There is also the Archdeaconry Court of Suffolk which covers the east of the county. The top two courts are the same as for Sudbury and then the Archdeaconry Court of Suffolk whose probate records are held at Ipswich Records Office but again searchable on the SRO website itself.

Even then there are some exceptions.  As Steve says its a bit complicated and depends on the value of the estate and where property may be owned.

You can search Norwich Consistory Court probate records on NRO's website - http://nrocat.norfolk.gov.uk/DServe/DServe.exe?NS&dsqServer=NCC3CL01&dsqApp=Archive&dsqCmd=Index.tcl.  Select Category Searches from the Menu and Wills and Probate Records.  The entries tend to be indexed surname then first name so its advisable to stick surname in the top box only and then to filter to Suffolk only, put Suffolk or even Sudbury in the "Title" box.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline petey22

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 10 February 21 11:58 GMT (UK) »
hello,
Within this post, I mention that within All Saints church, Sudbury there is/was? a plaque dedicated to the two deceased sons: 
Zechariah Rogers b/chr? 03-05-1765, buried 22-05-1765 and
Zechariah Rogers b/chr? 03-04-1767, buried 26-04-1767
of parents James and Martha Rogers.
To be honest I recieved this information from a forgotten contact and have no actual proof that this plaque still exists (or ever did) When I visited all Saints, the church was being extensively refurbished/restored  so it was not possible for me to search for it.
Does anyone know of this plaque or inscription? It would be really nice to have this actually proven one way or the other,,,, who knows maybe the inscription may reveal something else?
If anyone may be able to shed some light on this I would be very grateful  ;D
best wishes
Pete

Offline petey22

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 18 November 21 08:10 GMT (UK) »
dear all,
With regard to the death/burial of James Rogers c1733, I came across this reference:

FHL film number 989616 select deaths (ancestry)

can anyone tell me what this is/means ??? Is it a reference to the Bury records office? maybe something to do with ancestry.com?
best wishes
Pete

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 18 November 21 08:28 GMT (UK) »
dear all,
With regard to the death/burial of James Rogers c1733, I came across this reference:

FHL film number 989616 select deaths (ancestry)

can anyone tell me what this is/means ??? Is it a reference to the Bury records office? maybe something to do with ancestry.com?
best wishes
Pete

That is a transcript that Ancestry have from familysearch.  The FHL (Family History Library) film number can be found in the familysearch catalogue
https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/results?count=20&query=%2Bfilm_number%3A989616
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline petey22

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 18 November 21 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Rosie,
thanks very much for clarifying that  ;D unfortunately, following the link reports that due to technical difficulties no search results can be shown (and then in Dutch) :( Can you please relate any details you found/saw?
Was it a burial date or date of death? If burial does it say where?
kind regards
Pete

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 20 November 21 12:56 GMT (UK) »
You can search the familysearch catalogue from this page, you just need to put the film number in

https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk