Author Topic: post card album, needs mending  (Read 1798 times)

Offline little meg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
post card album, needs mending
« on: Monday 30 March 09 05:37 BST (UK) »
I have an old post card album full of p/cards that were my gr Aunts.
I would like to keep them in it but a lot of the slits have torn from years of use and the p/cards do not stay put.
What is the best way to mend it please.
I know normal sticky tape would be a no no, being that it goes brown and not acid free.

Any help appreciated.

Margaret
Simpson-Kildwick,Yorkshire & Australia, Overend-Sutton, Kildwick,Yorkshire & Australia, Whitaker - Cononley/Yorkshire, Pickard - Silsden/Yorkshire, Howarth - Skipton/Yorkshire and Lancashire, Heaton-Yorkshire, Preston-Yorkshire, Myers-Yorkshire & Australia, Wild-Yorkshire & Australia. Storey-Middlesex/Australia

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
Re: post card album, needs mending
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 March 09 10:04 BST (UK) »
hello...

I think I would re- create a cover page - for each page - out of translucent or clear paper.  Which will enable you to see the original and you could ------- carefully use spray glue to keep it in place   (not over the cards of course  but in an area that would not damage anything too much)  Spray glue is great - cos it can be stuck and unstuck... if you know what I mean..  Maybe even make a window for each card... long and messy but worth it.. (needs the 'P' word though)

xin

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 March 09 10:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret

Prue has given advice on this thread:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,307754.0.html

You need to ensure that anything that you use is acid-free. I have used small linen mount tags in the past.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline little meg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 March 09 10:53 BST (UK) »
Thankyou xin and Gadget, some wonderful advice.
I will look at the site provided by Prue, thanks  ;)

Margaret
Simpson-Kildwick,Yorkshire & Australia, Overend-Sutton, Kildwick,Yorkshire & Australia, Whitaker - Cononley/Yorkshire, Pickard - Silsden/Yorkshire, Howarth - Skipton/Yorkshire and Lancashire, Heaton-Yorkshire, Preston-Yorkshire, Myers-Yorkshire & Australia, Wild-Yorkshire & Australia. Storey-Middlesex/Australia