Author Topic: William Frederick Wycherley  (Read 3691 times)

Offline ukborn

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
William Frederick Wycherley
« on: Monday 26 April 04 00:56 BST (UK) »
Searching for information on William Frederick Wycherley.  According to 1901 census he was born 1863 in Manchester.  Have looked in IGI, Freebmd, 1881 census (others have looked at 1891 census) and he is nowhere to be found.  According to my grandmother he was in the Merchant Navy.  Wife's name was Ann A. (Amy according to my grandmother's birth certificate), as shown on 1891 and 1901 census.
Children:
Florence, William H. , Alfred, Charles Frederick, Amy, Alice Ann and Edith.

Would appreciate hearing if this rings a bell with anyone.

skippy

Re:William Frederick Wycherley
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 April 04 23:31 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Think you may be looking for a birth cert, so have you tried:-

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk

Very Similiar to freebmd and sponsered by ffhs and local offices (its free). But again not all records are yet online. Certs can be ordered online from local record offices.

An alternative is:

http://www.1837online.com

This site lists all UK BMD's. (Scanned images) from 1837. Although some very early ones are a bit hard to make out.

Initial cost is £5.00 and then for every page you view 10p is deducted
from your £5.00. You can top up any time.

You may have to check from 1862 onwards as some census's listed
age next birthday as opposed to age last birthday.

You can also follow link to order certificates online.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

SKIPPY

Offline Black Sheep

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 May 04 20:53 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I had a look on LancsBMD and found only a Charles Arthur Wycherley born in Stretford, Trafford 1879 STR/28/47

I also looked the the Lancashire Directories under Manchester for Wycherley and found nothing  :'( Then looked under Stretford and found nothing either  :-\

There were approx 350 Wycherley's in the census for 1881, the highest number in Shropshire 150, followed by Lancashire 66 and then by Cheshire 44.....is there a chance that his family could have been born out of Lancashire and could be elsewhere in the 1881 Census ? You do not say which county you found them in 1891 etc does this hold any further clues ?

Regards

Sarah
Robinson, Roberts, Roles, Griffiths, Walton, Royle, Chorlton,
Mott, Jones, Greenway, Morris, Bates, Mackay, Colley, Wagstaffe, Rickwood, Winston, Sockett, Bates, Haylock, Winston, Cleminson, Goodwin, Sockett, Bevan, Williams, Bell, Johnson and Dearson.

skippy

« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 May 04 00:37 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Bit of a misunderstanding really.
I didn't actually find your folks.
I was suggesting online ways for you to research.

You said your ancestor didn't appear in any census although you had a marrige cert suggesting a birthdate of around 1863 in Manchester.
So what I was saying/suggesting is that you could search 1837.com to see if the birth was registered - if it was registered then you could always from the GRO No supplied send off for the certificate and get parentage details whilst also confirming this is your ancester. If the birth isn't registered then its only cost a couple or three dollers to check (small Change)

But I know the problems you are facing (I have at least 4 Births unregistered in my family) and I have had to send off for certificates
just to prove or eliminate them and its very trying as I always need other info.

Chers
SKIPPY