Author Topic: Immigration - Benjamin Thomas MILES  (Read 3161 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Immigration - Benjamin Thomas MILES
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 31 March 09 02:23 BST (UK) »
There is also a birth of a son to Benjamin and Laurel in SA on  27 Jan 1925.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 31 March 09 02:32 BST (UK) »
As Sandra is currently off-line, and there are a few RootsChatters trying to help, this is part the information Sandra had in her other posting. It may help. Other parts of her posting dealt with his family's Welsh background.

Amendment: Another RootsChatter Pm'ed me about this reply, indicating it was thought I could in breach of copyright using information from another board. This reply was only copied in part, and therefore I thought it was okay. The infomation was taken from another public forum notice board as RootsChat is. To allivate any concerns, I have edited this original reply, and just added facts that I read from the other public Notice Board.

Facts:

*Benjamin Thomas Miles*
Born: 26 Jun 1901, Fishguard, Pembrokeshire, Wales

Sandra could not find him on 1901 Welsh Census.

In 1924 he married a Laurel Burrows in Victoria.

He married a year Bella Maud Bell. He went to prison for 6 months for
bigamy.

In 1939 he joined the military service. His wife is indicated as Bella Maud Miles.

His military record indicates he was in the Mercantile Marine between 1915 and 1918. -

Sandra thought he amy have been a seaman i]

Sandra, hope you didn't mind me doing this - just trying to help you and the other RootsChatters  ;D

Les

de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 31 March 09 02:36 BST (UK) »
The 1901 census was taken on the 31 March 1901, therefore Benjamin will not be on it as he was not born intil the 26 June. His parents should be, but you may now have all that..........Kris
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 31 March 09 03:17 BST (UK) »
Sandra do you have his death certificate?  The years in Victoria should be detailed and that may narrow down the period to search.  If he was a seaman there is the possibility that he may have jumped ship.   

I see that Bella [d.1964], Benjamin and their daughter Barbara Joyce [d.1936]who was born in Adelaide are buried at Fawkner. 

and another snippet

Australian Electoral Rolls
1936  Victoria
MILES Benjamin Thomas  125 Arden Street North Melbourne  Labourer
MILES  Bella Maud  125 Arden Street, North Melbourne  HD.

Cando

Offline sanmiles84

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 31 March 09 03:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your help, It is highly appreciated.

As you would have noticed I have been searching for years on how Benjamin Thomas Miles came to Australia and when. I dont want to give up searching so i thought i would see if anyone could help me on Rootschat.

Thank you Cando, I had found the Birth of a daughter between Benjamin and his second wife Bella Maud Miles (late Bell). Unfortunately she died 10 years later.

Thank you Kris, I had the marriage details to Bella already and yes Benjamin lied about his father. He was also already married at the time :) He did go to prison for 6 months for Bigamy. (Yatala labour prison).

Dear Les,
Thank you for your help. I have located most of Benjamins Records on the National Archives, and it was here that i came across the enlistment for a Volunteer in the army. On this document it states that he was in the "Mercantile Marine between 1915 - 1918". However, I have not been able to find anything in regards to this.

I did also see on the National archives that there is a passport enquirey from his first Wife Laurel and it also states that she did not know how or when he came to Australia. she has just advised that it was sometime before 1924. (which is obvious since thats when they were married).

I dont really have any further information then what is aleady on this forum. If anyone would know another way he might have come to Australia or how to find any records for the Mercantile Marine, it would be appreicated.

Dear Cando,
Yes i have his death Certificate. It states "Wales, Great Brittain, 30 Years in Victoria".
He died 15 Dec 1953 in Victoria aged 52 years.

Thank you,
Sandra

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 31 March 09 03:38 BST (UK) »
30 Years in Victoria 

Well if accurate that would mean he emigrated in 1923.

Cheers
Cando

Edit to amend info

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 31 March 09 03:53 BST (UK) »
Sandra on Benjamin's enlistment in 1939 he mentions 1915-1918 Merchant Marine and written below  there is something about War medals....read this link. 

http://www.medalsuk.co.uk/ww1/ww1index.html

Mercantile Marine Medal This medal was awarded by the Board of Trade to personnel who had served at sea for not less than 6 months between 04 August 1914 and 11 November 1918 and had made at least one voyage through a war or danger zone.

I think you should post another request for help to locate a possible record in the UK.  Perhaps someone on the Armed Forces board could point you in the right direction for the Merchant Marine records.

Link to Armed Forces Board
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,300.0.html

Good luck
Cando

Offline hhughes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 05 October 09 22:27 BST (UK) »
Dear sanmiles84 - I know of a George Henry Miles who lived in Lower Fishguard - no more than a couple of miles from Berracah Cottage. He had a son called Percy who is named on the war memorial at Fishguard as he was killed in WWII in 1941 aged 21 yrs.  There may be some connection ????  I can certainly find out more.  Berracah is a chapel which is still a going concern, though the membership is dwindling & I'm sure that I have a photo of the old cottage across the road as it was.  I could also take a digital snap of it as it stands today.  It has a lovely view across Fishguard Bay.  Are you interested ?? - hhughes