Author Topic: Hume family 1800's?? **Completed**  (Read 21619 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hume family 1800's??
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 01 April 09 09:39 BST (UK) »
John Hume, Andrew's father died 11 Dec 1898, Cherrytrees, Dumfires. Aged 66. His parents were Robert Hume, farm servant  and Helen m.s. Hyslop, both deceased.

Gadget

PS - I could continue with this but, given that you appear to have access to the census indexes via Ancestry and by using Family Search and Scotlands People, you can get all the information that you need
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline bethsdragon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 01 April 09 15:57 BST (UK) »
 :D Again, Thank you!
I have searched Ancestry and didn't find a third of what you have. I'm excited to go home and put all of this in tonight and see what I can find with this new info. I hope I become better the more I search.   

Gadget - you are amazing!

Right now I am focusing on my maternal grandparents from Scotland. Thomas Pearson (Kircudbright) and Helen 'Nellie' Hume. 1880's birth.
I have some pictures that I would love to post as soon as I figure out how!

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hume family 1800's?? **Completed**
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 01 April 09 16:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Beth

Before you go writing ~

This might well be Agnes Hume/Andrew, mother of Helen Hyslop Hume:

Death - 7 Sept 1944 45 netherplace Road, Newton Mearns, Renfrewshire

Agnes Andrew (formerly Russell)

Widow of William Andrew Russell, general labourer

Aged 82

Mother - Agnes Hume, afterwards married to Peter Murray, road surface man, deceased

Informant - R Andrew, son,  63 Clincart Road, Glasgow

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline bethsdragon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 01 April 09 18:00 BST (UK) »
;D
You just solved one of my mysteries. We knew Nellie went to live with her grandmother between 6 mos-1 yr old after her father died and her mother went elsewhere to work. We knew her mother later remarried an Andrew but we couldn't figure out why everyone called Nellies grandmother "Grama Murray"!

Fantastic.

I'm starting to think Agnes wasn't married to Nellies father, scandalous. ha ha

You may never know how much this little piece of info means to my family but believe me it means alot. My great uncle (nellies son) is thrilled to see things that remind him of his childhood and I have a feeling my trip is going to be even better for the info.
Right now I am focusing on my maternal grandparents from Scotland. Thomas Pearson (Kircudbright) and Helen 'Nellie' Hume. 1880's birth.
I have some pictures that I would love to post as soon as I figure out how!

Offline Applause

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 05 February 10 10:05 GMT (UK) »
John and Ellen Hume  (Halliday)were also parents of Lilly May Hume - my Great Granddmother.  I have it that Robert and Helen (Hyslop) Hume were Johns parents.  Can you verify?

Regards

I am looking for information about the Hume family from scotland.
I know of Andrew Hume 1st marriage to Grace Law and second marriange to Alice Mary. He was born in Kurkcudbright and later moved to upstate NY.
His parents were John & Ellen Hume.

Our family ties in with Helen (Nellie) Hume born 1883 who married Thomas Pearson in 1909. She was raised by her grandmother Murray (?) and went to work at the Glenross house as a maid when she was 12.
Helen was first cousin to John Law Hume (Violinest on Titanic). I'm not sure which side it was on though. John L. Hume was Andrews son.

My mom and I are visiting Scotland in August and I'd love to know more history of our family when we get there!
Thanks for any help.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 05 February 10 10:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi and Welcome to Rootschat  :)

I believe that they were:

John Hume, Andrew's father died 11 Dec 1898, Cherrytrees, Dumfires. Aged 66. His parents were Robert Hume, farm servant  and Helen m.s. Hyslop, both deceased.

Is there anything else that you need to know?

Regards

Gadget

Offline Applause

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 05 February 10 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks - that is what I also have - do you know of anything further back - or where I can look?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 05 February 10 10:33 GMT (UK) »
There's quite an extensive tree on Ancestry that I mentioned in one of my previous messages.

If you have access to Ancestry, you could go here:

http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/6702663/family?fpid=-1194378678

All the facts should be checked out though.

Scotland's People is the best site ( www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk ) but check on the IGI (www.familysearch.org ) first as Scotlands People is  pay to view.

Gadget

Offline Applause

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 05 February 10 11:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Gadget, I did see the family tree for John and Ellen (Halliday) Hume.  I was trying to go beyond John Humes father, Robert and /or find some family members of the Halliday side as well as the Hyslop one :).
Many thanks for your help thus far.