Author Topic: Hull policemen?  (Read 2648 times)

Offline HilaryW

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Hull policemen?
« on: Wednesday 01 April 09 09:54 BST (UK) »
Having seen some posts on here about policemen, I am hoping someone can help me with this photograph.

It belonged to my grandparents and I thought that it showed relatives/friends of my grandfather who was a policeman in Manchester, but apparently the helmet badge doesn't belong to Manchester and Hull was suggested.

Any help would be appreciated
CUL - Wilson, Gainford, Fox, Banks, Rooke
YKS - Plaxton
LAN - Rhodes, Wolstenholme, Pemberton
NFK - Hammond, Tombling

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hull policemen?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 April 09 10:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Hilary...I have a book on the registration of Hull Policemen and will have a look for you when I get home to see if their numbers appear in the book...do you have any names?
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline HilaryW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 April 09 13:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol

Unfortunately there is nothing written on the back of the photo, so it is only guess work. If they are from my grandmother's side then they might be Plaxtons - most of this family is located in the East and North Riding.

I thought that they would be easy to identify since you can see the collar numbers, but have realised that the numbers were reissued and used by many policemen.

Sorry I can't be more helpful

Hilary
YKS - Plaxton
NFK - Hammond, Tombling

Offline RockofAges

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 April 09 15:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Hilary,
    I have had a look at the policemen of Hull, The first number 228 was issued to George Watson on 29th March 1883 and from there  we have :- George Henry Clift issued 31,7,1909. then  Edward Marson on 1.11.1910, then Edward Stephenson 11,12,1923 and lastly James Harry Curtis 26.5.1952 I have nothing in my books for after 1974 but looking at their dress I would say they were well before then.
  As for PC 378 I have William Warcup issued 13.8,1908 then Harry Edward Lee issued 16.6,1936 then John Michael Marsh issued 28.1,1963 and Kenneth George Wood issued 29.11.1963
   In the East Riding for PC 228 I found David Eltherington issued 26.1.1948 and Walter Gerald Kingston issued 4.4.1949,  There were no PC 378 shown.
   In the East Riding there was a George Plaxton joined 7.7,1872 but number not known.

Hope this helps  Rockofages
Cawkwell, Tunstall

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 April 09 16:30 BST (UK) »
Looks like Rockofages beat me to it ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D...nice work.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline HilaryW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 April 09 16:57 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Rockofages - I think you may have identified them.

I do have an Edward Marson on my tree. He was a first cousin to my Gran, his mother being Rachel Ann Plaxton. In which case the other policeman would be William Warcup - must have been a colleague, not a relative as far as I know.

I have found an Edward Marson in the 1911 census in Hull who would be the right age, so I will put him on the list of ones to get.

The George Plaxton is also on my tree - my Gran's uncle. He can't have been a policeman for long, as he was a servant in the 1871 census, a policeman when he married in 1878 and a general labourer in the 1881 census, then later becoming a railway signalman.

Thank you so much for sorting a long lasting family mystery

Hilary
YKS - Plaxton
NFK - Hammond, Tombling

Offline RockofAges

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 April 09 16:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Hilary,
   I will be going into Beverley next week where I can have a look at the Police records, I will look up your man if you wish
     Regards  Rock of ages
Cawkwell, Tunstall

Offline HilaryW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 April 09 22:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rock of ages

Any information that you come across would be very welcome

Hilary
YKS - Plaxton
NFK - Hammond, Tombling

Offline Ray Woodward

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 January 20 18:47 GMT (UK) »
Dear Hilary, 

I have just come upon your post, which includes a photograph of two Hull City policemen.  PC 378 is definitely my maternal grandfather, William ‘Bill’  Warcup.  (I have never seen this photograph before. It’s a wonderful shot.) He was stationed at Norfolk Street Police Station, Beverley Road, Hull.  For some 25 years, from whence he “retired” to the Warrant and Summons Department at Hull’s Guild Hall, for a further period of duty until he retired fully by the end of WWII.

Yours sincerely

Ray Woodward