Author Topic: Bridget Dowling Hitler  (Read 28665 times)

Offline mayoevie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bridget Dowling Hitler
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 10 May 09 19:14 BST (UK) »
Hello Shaun.

Thanks.
That is very interesting. 
In reply to your first post. If that is correct Bridget Hitlers' father was not a brother of my grandfather Patrick Dowling. However, it is possible that Martin Dowling could be his uncle. 
I don't know anything about my great-grandfather Richard before he moved to Dublin from Meath, nor do I know in what part of Meath he was born or if he had any siblings. Richards wife was Mary Brady, and all I know about her is that her father was Thomas Brady. These names might ring a bell with somebody reading this.

I haven't looked at Mike Roydens' site yet, and many thanks for the link. I look forward to seeing  it later.

It is so kind of you to look at the 1911 census for me.
Alois must have adjusted his name to suit his new position, and Bridget says in her memoirs that
he always called her Cece after a portrait of St. Cecilia which he particularly admired.

A coincidence. I have a son Shane and a grandson Séan.

Evelyn

Offline mayoevie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 10 May 09 19:23 BST (UK) »
Hello again Shaun.

I have just found a reference to Stanhope street in Bridgets memoirs.
She said that when Adolph came to visit them in Liverpool they were living in a pleasant three-roomed flat in 102 Stanhope St.

Evelyn

Offline jc33a

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 04 January 13 12:22 GMT (UK) »
The Bridget Dowling & Alois Hitler story is fascinating and I have tried to find a link with my Dublin Dowlings and failed as well.

i think there is an error on Bridget's 1891 birth certificate which gives her mother as Eliza Renolds. Her mother was more likely 'Bridget Reynolds'. The irish genealogy website has a marriage of William Dowling of Kilnamanagh to Bridget Reynolds of Ballymount at Clondalkin in 1890. This gives his parents as 'Martin & Elizabeth'. William & Bridget appear with their 4 daughters in the 1901 census at Flemings Place, Dublin, William aged 34 and born in Co Kildare. the wikipedia entry on the family suggests he came from Crookstown near Athy.  rootsireland has a baptism for William to Martin & Eliza Dowling at Athy in 1867, and their marriage in 1866.
Cherry, Hertfordshire
Benyon, Shropshire
Hockings, Devonshire
Keaveny, Ireland (Offaly, Galway)
Webb, Gloucstershire (Coaley)
Lawlor, Ireland (Laois)
Russell/Leitch, Ireland (Tyrone/Donegal)
Yore, Ireland (Meath)
Etherington, Yorkshire (East Riding)
Dowling/Dooling, Ireland (Dublin)

Offline maria1965

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 21 March 13 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Guys

Really interested in these posts, I to was lead to believe our Dowlings were related but I have different names,
Mgg James Dowling b1869 Co Kildare was meant to be the brother of William Dowling B1867 children of Patrick Dowling and ? Mary Nolan.
That is why Bridget called her son William Patrick after her father and grandfather??

I think I need to go back to drawing board.

Offline Valerie Prince

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 20 March 14 02:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I created an account here just to pass on the following information about an ancestor of mine, which may be helpful to you.

I have an Eliza(beth) Dowling, b. around 1840s and d. after 1911.  She married Joseph Nulty from Co. Meath in 1870 in or around Balbriggan, which is in Co. Dublin near the Co. Meath line (the civil registration location is Balrothery).  I am not sure who her parents are yet because I've just found the registration index record of the marriage, so I haven't ordered the microfilm.  If you visit the records office in Dublin, the book is year 1870-volume 17-page 465.

Seven children followed, then the family moved to Dublin city around 1885.  Seven more children were born in Dublin.  In 1885 - 1887 the family lived at 115 Upper Dorset St.; in 1888 at 6 N. Rutland Pl.; in 1890-1891 at 27 William Pl.;  1895 at 11 William Pl.; in 1901 at 3 Margaret Ave.; and in 1911 at 8 Rutland Pl.
Dublin: Cleary, Adams, O'Reilly
Monasterevin, Kildare: Cleary, Dunne
Ireland: McMunn (McMahon, McMann)
USA: Barbosa, Prince
Mexico: Barbosa, Prince
Italy: Granata

Offline Rita McMahon

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 27 August 14 17:53 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I created an account here just to pass on the following information about an ancestor of mine, which may be helpful to you.

I have an Eliza(beth) Dowling, b. around 1840s and d. after 1911.  She married Joseph Nulty from Co. Meath in 1870 in or around Balbriggan, which is in Co. Dublin near the Co. Meath line (the civil registration location is Balrothery).  I am not sure who her parents are yet because I've just found the registration index record of the marriage, so I haven't ordered the microfilm.  If you visit the records office in Dublin, the book is year 1870-volume 17-page 465.

Seven children followed, then the family moved to Dublin city around 1885.  Seven more children were born in Dublin.  In 1885 - 1887 the family lived at 115 Upper Dorset St.; in 1888 at 6 N. Rutland Pl.; in 1890-1891 at 27 William Pl.;  1895 at 11 William Pl.; in 1901 at 3 Margaret Ave.; and in 1911 at 8 Rutland Pl.
Just seen this Post and the info I believe is my Great Grandfather Joseph Nulty as have found the info in the census 1901/11 with the address etc. the same.  My Granny Elizabeth Nulty O'Malley I believe was the eldest in the Family and was married 1898

Offline JohnDow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 17 September 15 21:45 BST (UK) »
Hello Evelyn,
I see you were trying to find out if your grandfather Patrick Dowling was related to Bridget Hitler nee Dowling.
I'm trying to find out the very same thing. Do we maybe have the same grandfather? (Patrick, DOB I think was 5th April 1864)
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=731014.new#new
Kind regards
John

Offline Marcdoc

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 22 May 16 11:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Evelyn,

I'm a Journalist and I've doing quite a bit of research on this topic. I'm based in Dublin. Would love to pick your brain on the subject. Heres my email (*)

Thanks

Marc 

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 22 May 16 13:09 BST (UK) »
The Memoirs of Bridget Hitler on Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk

but if you go through search eng. google and put in search box -Bridget Dowling Hitler lots of articles come up with photos.