Author Topic: SOLOMON Family from England to Melbourne  (Read 29387 times)

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: SOLOMON Family from England to Melbourne
« Reply #90 on: Monday 22 August 11 07:52 BST (UK) »
Hello Lynda,

You certainly pack a lot into a post.

Yes, Noah and Judah could have been brothers; a theory well worth pursuing. However, Judah's father was recorded as 'Isaac Lemplik' in the Jewish records, whereas Noah's was 'Isaac from Karg', i.e. a clear attempt was made to distinguish between the two Isaacs.

What is the significance of 19 Love Court?

I do not fully understand what you are saying here:

The reason is that the men in my Davis family were adamant the Davis' were from Russia or Poland, which could have been mispronounced instead of Prussia, which was part of Poland, Russia and Germany. They were NOT known as Davis until they came to England but no one knew their real surname. I knew I had to find a grave if I ever had a chance of finding out what their real name was.

The reason for what?

London's 18th century Ashkenazi Jewish community was an immigrant community, all of them originating in Holland, the German-speaking territories or parts of Poland. You are quite right in saying that Davis was the surname adopted in England, as Ashkenazi Jews did not adopt fixed surnames until the early 19th century. I would speculate that there was a David in some earlier generation, e.g. Judah's grandfather perhaps.

Given names, i.e. forenames, are very important to all Jews - Ashkenazi and Sephardi. The key differentiator comes in the manner in which the forenames are passed on. Ashkenazi Jews regard it as bad luck to give the name of a living relative to a new-born child, whereas Sephardi Jews would name a new-born baby after a living grandparent.

The secular forename Levy/Levi was an alias of Yehuda, as it sounded similar to early forms of the Yiddish word for 'lion'. The patriarch Jacob had likened his son Yehuda to a lion.

This is a fascinating puzzle.

Justin

Offline techlyn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Monday 22 August 11 13:33 BST (UK) »
Hello Justin,

Sorry I do like to state my reasoning. Its been years of hard work finding this tree and its various branches!

This is the reason I think one record states the name Lemplik and the other states where they came from if Judah and Noah were brothers: My experience is that different documents can contain different information about the same family. One has the name and the other where they were from. Noahs record confirms the family story of where they originated passed down to me through the men of the Davis line and the story that they were Dutch was passed down only the female line. I was lucky and got both stories because I asked everyone I knew about it before they died - and got various stories that were all true but about the wrong person or era.

19 Love Court, off Petticoat Lane (now Holland Estate) is the address of Judahs son, Isaac and Rosetta in 1841 and 1851. In 1861 they had moved to 3 Dinah Buildings, Tripe Yard and Emanual Salomons lived at 19 Love Court with his wife Rachael (a possible relative). Noahs daughter Jane who married Edward Levy lived virtually next door. I found her by searching for Noahs son Marcus Davis who was living with his sister Jane Levy in Love Court.

After the Davis' moved over to the Elephant & Castle and Camberwell areas, in particular East Lane, they still all stayed close with sons, daughters and cousins living in 26, 48, 54, 58 and 63 East Lane or roads off East Lane such as King and Queen Street (where my Dad was born in 1932 to Isaac Davis and Esther Melhados son Levy and wife Hannah) and other members of the family lived in Elliots Row, off East Street. I found them by searching all the names associated with my family incase they were related and then traced them back to Isaac and Rosetta or to their Son Judah and Rosa Melhado or to their son Isaac and Esther Melhado. Some of the brothers and sisters of my direct relatives married Levy and Solomons people. So I thought it possibly makes sense that Catherine Levy married to Noah Davis are related and back further there are probably other Levy/Davis unions somewhere because their daughter Jane lived close by in Love Court and their children later also moved to Camberwell. We took my Dad around the family 'homes' from 1841 to his birth and he recognised where his cousins lived. That turned out to be roads next to or walking distance from where their Grandparents, Judah and Rosa Melhado, had lived with their children. So they often only moved one street or a few doors away. Now my generation have spread across the world.

I read it was the second wave of Ashkanazi jews who were immigrants and not liked, not the first when Isaac of Karga came to England around 1800, and that Sephardi Jews often married and converted Ashkanazi to the Sephardi tribe. Thats why I think that the Salomons/Solomons and Davis family might have later been Sephardi converts. I cannot find Davis or Lemplik in Sephardi documents and it 'sounds' Ashkanazi or at least Prussian to me. I have found Salomons/Solomons older than Rosetta in Ashkanazi records but so far have not established a link to Rosetta. 

Sorry its a long explanation. I really do appreciate your time.

Lynda

Offline Kevin Martin

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Friday 18 January 19 04:00 GMT (UK) »
To clarify for readers in the late 18th century the numbers of Sephardim were quite small compared to the growing mass of Ashkenazim so intermarriage was common and even though illegal marriage to converts. You married in the Synagogue of the husband  an Ashkenazi man could not marry in Sephardi Synagogue nor vice versa