Author Topic: BAKER family NSW from 1837  (Read 5984 times)

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
Re: BAKER family NSW from 1837
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 04 April 09 08:22 BST (UK) »
Susie, as it maddeningly just says Sydney, it's not likely it's Norfolk Isl though :-\

There are musters for those early years in NSW I believe... maybe someone can tell you about them?

Scrapping the barrel...

charlotte

Offline Siouxsie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My grandmother, Myrtle Isabel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 04 April 09 08:36 BST (UK) »
.....another thought.......how were shipboard births registered when they arrived????? I know some say "at sea"....could he have assumed Sydney and was born on the journey??? If that is the case, you might need to find his parents journey.......I am hopeless at ship records......my eyes just glaze over!

Cheers
Susie
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Hutton : Edinburgh, Scotland
Downey : England
Ingram: St George East, Middlesex and New Zealand
Roberts : Grafton, NSW
Blackadder : Grafton, NSW
Gillett : Grafton, NSW
Brocklebank :Carkettle, Lancashire
Bowes : Ulverston, Lancashire
Rose : Bo'ness, Linlithgowshire, Scotland
Kelleher:County Cork, Ireland
Shepherd : Helpringham, Lincolnshire

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 04 April 09 08:38 BST (UK) »
Ulysses, have you got Charles's death certificate?  The information on it might not be accurate but you could get a helpful hint depending on who gave the info...e.g. might tell you how long in the colonies, different birthplace etc.

Offline ulysses

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 04 April 09 08:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks Susie,

That's a couple of avenues to explore. I agree shipping lists are hard work!

Cheers,

Ulysses

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 04 April 09 08:45 BST (UK) »
In looking for Charles I see he was buried at Lockwood Cem, Vic, in 1891 - this page states he is buried with three infant children, and a free photograph of the stone is available on request:
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ausvsac/Lockwood.htm

...you probably already have this info but just in case you haven't, I thought I'd post it  :)

Offline ulysses

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 04 April 09 08:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks Prue,

Yes, I do have this information, but only recently, and we never knew that there was a headstone, so it was a nice discovery.  I' ll have to search for the death certificate, which I think I have?

Thanks for your help.

Ulysses

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 12 April 09 06:57 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

Umm, re ship board births,  I can offer following, but tis ten years earlier.  Baby born onboard "Elizabeth" on 3 April 1827.  Ship arrives 7 April 1827 to Sydney.  Baby christened by Wesleyan rites 22 April 1827.  In letters to Col Secretary by baby's father, he refers (in an aside) to that baby born "just off the coast of NSW".  By 1828 Census baby is noted as born in the colony.  I have found image of christening rego at State Library in Sydney.   It indicates that the Wesleyan info was then transmitted to Rev Cowper (C of E) for inclusion in the Established church's registry book. 

Perhaps similar pattern may be found to help with Ulysses search for Charles Levi Baker in Sydney NSW 1837 - Does anyone have clues for "Levi" - eg any Hebrew registration online sites perhaps?  -

Umm,  I am not sure when Col Sec recognised non C of E registrations directly ie without needing to be transmitted from the church/synogue to C of E.  I do know that it was not until mid 1850's that bdm registrations were administered by civil regulations.

Sorry if I am providing too much detail of the processes and practices without actually helping to locate Ulysses Charles Levi BAKER's birth rego.

Cheers,  MA
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 12 April 09 08:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks Prue,

Yes, I do have this information, but only recently, and we never knew that there was a headstone, so it was a nice discovery.  I' ll have to search for the death certificate, which I think I have?

Thanks for your help.

Ulysses

Hi Ulysses -

In case you haven't the death cert - you need the reg# to purchase - cheaper to purchase an image online
https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/bdm/index-search?action=purchaseImage

Death
BAKER Charles Levi
Parents unknown   55 years  at Lockwood  1891  Ref#16217

There are eight births to Charles and wife Emma SINGLE between 1864 and 1886 on the Vic indexes.  Birth certificates of the children in Vic usually detail the place of birth of the parents.  If the death cert is not more informative, perhaps downloading a couple of the birth certs may give information.

If there is a place of birth on Charles death cert perhaps a search of appropriate parish records may help you further.

Cheers
Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ulysses

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 14 April 09 01:24 BST (UK) »
Thankyou for your advice.  I have followed up on the Death certificate. Place of death states Yass, New South Wales. This is in contrast to the marriage certificate which says Sydney NSW.  Which of the two would be more reliable, if either? I have followed up and tried to find the birth through Dept Justice NSW, and no luck.

I will start looking up birth certificates for the children. I know of up to 12 or 13. At least three to four died in infancy.

Thanks again.