Author Topic: Linlithgow Tanneries / Bootmakers  (Read 26395 times)

Offline fruitveg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Linlithgow Tanneries / Bootmakers
« Reply #36 on: Monday 20 August 18 16:55 BST (UK) »
Bill66.  Wow indeed that must be the Walter Bellis as I thought he was a JP.  Many thanks.  When John Meek came to Liverpool (for the reason you give, no doubt) he met and married Isabella Moffat who was from Haiti but of British parentage.  They had two children, Elise and Kenneth. Sadly Isabella died around 1915 of 'consumption' and my grandfather remarried in 1917 and had two daughters with his new (and much younger) wife, Ethel.

Offline fruitveg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 22 September 18 19:43 BST (UK) »
Hi.  I am booked to go to Linlithgow in a few weeks. Can anyone help with information so I make the most of my trip.  Do we know which church the Meeks went to and so where they are buried?

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 22 September 18 20:42 BST (UK) »
The Meek family are buried at St Michael's Parish Church which is attached to the Palace, that doesn't necessarily mean that they attended it. They might have joined the Free Church but as my own g'father was an elder in Springburn Parish Church, The Kirk seems most likely. Their grave-stones are on the south side of the church. I believe there are some paintings of Provosts but whether Provost Meek is there, I dunno.

Skoosh.

Offline Bill66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 22 September 18 23:01 BST (UK) »
Alexander and his wife and sister Mary are buried at Linlithgow Cemetery. A gravestone marks the spot. Alexander attended the United Free Church. His premises were at 160-162, High Street, Linlithgow, and his house, which still stands, Rosland Cottage, is at 14, Royal Terrace, Linlithgow.
His son William is also buried at Linlithgow Cemetery. It is likely that he was a member of St Michael's Church.

As Skoosh says, Alexander's parents, William and Mary, who died on the same day in 1877, were buried in St Michael's Churchyard, by Linlithgow Palace. A gravestone marks the spot.

Hope this helps.

Bill66