Author Topic: LIVERPOOL COWKEEPERS  (Read 83120 times)

Offline lorraineosborne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: LIVERPOOL COWKEEPERS
« Reply #135 on: Wednesday 19 February 20 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you ThrelfallYorky,
I think from later census, Emma Johnson was born around 1824, but it gives place of birth as Liverpool.
On her marriage certificate in 1847 at St Philips Church, Liverpool, the witnesses were John and Elizabeth Hewitt. I had a hint that Elizabeth could have been Emma's married sister.  I did find a record of marriage in 1834 - Elizabeth Johnson to John Hewitt but no father's name given.
Any help is welcome - I am really struggling.

Loz57

Offline lorraineosborne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: Wednesday 19 February 20 10:11 GMT (UK) »
PS - it was Emma's father John Johnson Carter who was deceased at the time of her marriage in 1847 not Thomas Challinor Cowkeeper.

I have been given some information that a Thomas Challinor - Cowkeeper - and family were on the 1841 census  - address 22 Mason Street, Liverpool.  The only problem is there is no son James living with them.  I suppose he could have moved out  - nothing is simple!!!

Offline Susan Ealey

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: Monday 03 May 21 16:14 BST (UK) »
hi im studying glebe farms and others along the Church Road, Cherry Lane area in Walton, Liverpool. I saw aphoto on here of a dairy and cowkeeper in Walton Village and would like to include it but dont know who to get permission from. Also if anyone has any other info re that area and the cowkeepers id be vey grateful.

Offline leggywelshman

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: Wednesday 20 October 21 14:16 BST (UK) »
My Great Grandparents, Angelo Maria TRIMARCO and Mary Ellen CONNOLLY were Cow Keepers and Ice cream makers from at least 1926 to 1946 at 108A PARK ROAD, DINGLE.

The photograph attached was taken outside the back of the dairy in the late 1920's (the baby is my 94 year-old mother).

I was particularly interested in the quote from Lesleyhannah regarding relatives operating a dairy in PARK ROAD. 

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: Friday 22 October 21 09:23 BST (UK) »
My Great Grandparents, Angelo Maria TRIMARCO and Mary Ellen CONNOLLY were Cow Keepers and Ice cream makers from at least 1926 to 1946 at 108A PARK ROAD, DINGLE

Here's the listing for that block of Park Road in the 1938 Gore's Directory
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: Friday 22 October 21 09:27 BST (UK) »
The photograph attached was taken outside the back of the dairy

Looks like it was taken at the back of number 363
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nametabpoppy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: Wednesday 30 November 22 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Not sure how live this thread is.
Just to say my great granduncle on the maternal side was John Bowman Capstick from Birkhaw farm, Howgill who established one of the several Capstick lines of Liverpool cowkeepers. His descendants were to be the very last of the breed in Liverpool. Another cowkeeper line, descending from a Roger Capstick of Firbank on the other side of the Lune from Howgill had a tragic history in the city.
Bateman, Westmorland,  Bateman, Ontario, Capstick, Hutchinson, Postlethwaite

Offline nametabpoppy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: Wednesday 30 November 22 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Would you like more information about Liverpool Cowkeepers?  Both I and my husband had ancestors who were cowkeepers in Liverpool.  In my case it was an uncle by marriage, have some photos of him, with his prize cows and the Cowkeepers' Association Championship Cup.  My aunt had an uncle, Edward Capstick whose family had cows in Liverpool.  I have funeral cards for two of their children who died as infants.
Willing to share info and photos if anyone is interested.  Did visit uncle's dairy once, just after the war, in 1945.
Kath

Kath - I am related to Edward Capstick on the maternal side. I would be very pleased to share information.
Best wishes
Bateman, Westmorland,  Bateman, Ontario, Capstick, Hutchinson, Postlethwaite

Offline CarlB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: Wednesday 15 February 23 15:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I'm a descendent of Samuel James Bargh (of S J Bargh hauliers).  I am a second cousin three times removed.

I am a 1st cousin three times removed of George Bargh the Liverpool cowkeeper.

I'm actually a professional genealogist by trade and have done quite a bit of research into my ancestors.

It can be quite addictive - especially when your job is also your hobby!

Carl