Author Topic: LIVERPOOL COWKEEPERS  (Read 83024 times)

Offline Humphpaul

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: LIVERPOOL COWKEEPERS
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 23 April 09 13:03 BST (UK) »
Just thought I would stick in my twopeneth!. Prewar and just after there was a small dairy in Glamis Road just opposite where Witton Road meets it. Glamis is off Marlborough Rd, Tuebrook.
There was a small field and quite a big shippen which was behind the shop. They did the bottle washing and filling in sheds in a yard. Bottles had those deadly cardboard caps.
There were six cows which lived in the field and were brought into the shippen for milking and extra feed from hay which was on the 2nd. floor and fed through trap doors  to the cows. Also upthere they had sacks of cowcake and a barrel of molasses or treacle - delicious.
The family was Mr and Mrs Taylor and a son about 8 I think.
The only smell I remember was warm milk. After the war Police houses were built on the field which I think are still there. I lived in Montrose Rd.
I also new a family name of Tudor with a dairy in Cherry Lane but don't know the details.
Happily I am still TB free. Alan Williams
Paul, Humphrey, Vaughan, Lewis, Williams, Parry, Jones, Fairclough, Howard, Allan, Baylis, Wright, Ritson.
Barmouth, Llangellinin, Liverpool, Maryport Cumberland, Port Glasgow, Nercwys (Nerquis), Mold, Gwysaney, Hope, Doddleston, Higher Kinnerton.

Offline Jackie464

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 23 April 09 13:07 BST (UK) »
I am glad someone mentioned the TB problem.  I wondered how much these dairies up all over the country were responsible of the spread of TB.  My mother came to Liverpool from Newfoundland.  Her family had a similar set-up to the cowkeepers back in Newfoundland and TB was rife.  Many member of her family alone died from it - Jackie

Offline skyblueFF

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 23 April 09 17:46 BST (UK) »
hello

You've reminded me that my GF got TB and so went back to the cleaner air of Westmorland.

Michael
HEISE ,Germany, London and Birkenhead.
HARTWELL. London. Arundel.
CAPSTICK, Westmorland and Liverpool
BUTLER Liverpool
CHARTERS,  Walton Liverpool
GORE,Sefton, Liverpool .
CRUICE Roscommon and Liverpool.
ROBINSON, Westmorland.
ATKINSON,Westmorland.
DACRE, Westmorland.
FORSHAW,Sefton,Liverpool

Offline Humphpaul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 23 April 09 18:51 BST (UK) »
O dear!  I was being frivolous but now I remember that a girl from our sunday school whose family had a dairy got TB age about 15. She was in Fazakerley isolation hospital for about 6 months I think and I think is still going strong so I wont mention her name. Alan Williams
Paul, Humphrey, Vaughan, Lewis, Williams, Parry, Jones, Fairclough, Howard, Allan, Baylis, Wright, Ritson.
Barmouth, Llangellinin, Liverpool, Maryport Cumberland, Port Glasgow, Nercwys (Nerquis), Mold, Gwysaney, Hope, Doddleston, Higher Kinnerton.

Offline skyblueFF

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 24 April 09 08:27 BST (UK) »
Grandad lived ti be 78 and was very active as I remember.
Michael
HEISE ,Germany, London and Birkenhead.
HARTWELL. London. Arundel.
CAPSTICK, Westmorland and Liverpool
BUTLER Liverpool
CHARTERS,  Walton Liverpool
GORE,Sefton, Liverpool .
CRUICE Roscommon and Liverpool.
ROBINSON, Westmorland.
ATKINSON,Westmorland.
DACRE, Westmorland.
FORSHAW,Sefton,Liverpool

Offline MissM

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 27 April 09 18:29 BST (UK) »
I'm sure in my search for Moneypennys someone told me there had been a Moneypenny Dairy, probably in the Everton area of Liverpool.  I've never managed to find any trace of it so if you come across it in your research, I'd appreciate any news.

Thanks.
MONEYPENNY (Liverpool/N Ireland/Scotland)
CRETNEY (Isle of Man)
KIDD (N Ireland)
DAVIES ( Denbighshire, N Wales)
ROBERTS (Liverpool)
WHITE (Liverpool)
Local History website - www.spekeliverpool.co.uk

Offline Humphpaul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 03 June 09 09:19 BST (UK) »
Just to let people know ;- there is an article in the latest (june 2009) liverpool Family History journal about cowkeepers in Liverpool which covers and expands on things mentioned. It mentions Capstick's dairy at the Tuebrook end of Marlborough Rd. which I remember too as my brother was pals with their son born about 1931 who also went to Lister Drive school as far as I remember.

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 03 June 09 13:10 BST (UK) »
I have just looked at the Trades section of Green's Directory of Liverpool, 1870, and there are 88 names under Dairymen and Cowkeepers.
I can copy the list for anyone wanting more - send me your email address by PM.
There were still plenty around in the 1930s and 40s and even later, with a few cows, a dairy and [usually horse] delivery rounds, but most have gone the way of most small businesses.
I await the Liverpool FHS journal with interest.
A

Offline Pegasuss

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 07 June 09 11:12 BST (UK) »
I'm sure in my search for Moneypennys someone told me there had been a Moneypenny Dairy, probably in the Everton area of Liverpool.  I've never managed to find any trace of it so if you come across it in your research, I'd appreciate any news.

Thanks.

Moneypennys was on the corner of the street (opposite St Georges Street) on Netherfield Road!

I can't remember it being a Dairy, but they did have large back Gates (which would be were the Cow/Cows were kept!).
Hertzberger, Highton, Walker, Eaton, Webster, Brown, Wright, Speed, Dodd, Holland, Melling, Murphy, Edwards, Bennett, Collins, Critchley, Duffy, Owens, Morgan & Humphreys

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk