Author Topic: LIVERPOOL COWKEEPERS  (Read 83035 times)

Offline Pegasuss

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: LIVERPOOL COWKEEPERS
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 07 June 09 11:16 BST (UK) »
Another bit of Misc 'Cowkeeper' Info (sort of):

Prince Alfred Road, Wavertree used to be called 'Cowslip Lane' until it was renamed shortly before one of Queen Victorias Children was due to pay a visit to stay with a friend who lived there, the local council thought it better to change the name (to save any embarrasment!
Hertzberger, Highton, Walker, Eaton, Webster, Brown, Wright, Speed, Dodd, Holland, Melling, Murphy, Edwards, Bennett, Collins, Critchley, Duffy, Owens, Morgan & Humphreys

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MissM

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 01 July 09 20:50 BST (UK) »
<quote>Moneypennys was on the corner of the street (opposite St Georges Street) on Netherfield Road!

I can't remember it being a Dairy, but they did have large back Gates (which would be were the Cow/Cows were kept!). <quote>

Hi Pegasuss,

Only just noticed your reply but thanks for the info.

This was my Great Uncle Albert's shop (christened as Richard!) and it was a grocery shop.  My Dad, Matthew worked there as a young lad and took me to see it once but it was closed.  I have a photo of it from the Liverpool Records Office when it was the only building left standing in that area!

MissM
MONEYPENNY (Liverpool/N Ireland/Scotland)
CRETNEY (Isle of Man)
KIDD (N Ireland)
DAVIES ( Denbighshire, N Wales)
ROBERTS (Liverpool)
WHITE (Liverpool)
Local History website - www.spekeliverpool.co.uk

Offline Pegasuss

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 01 July 09 23:00 BST (UK) »
MissM.

Small World!

My Mother used to help out in the shop (a few times a week, for @1-2Hrs).

We used to get given a free Ice cream (on a Stick) by the Owner/Manager when we went in. (C1959-61).  :P ;) ;D
Hertzberger, Highton, Walker, Eaton, Webster, Brown, Wright, Speed, Dodd, Holland, Melling, Murphy, Edwards, Bennett, Collins, Critchley, Duffy, Owens, Morgan & Humphreys

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 01 July 09 23:16 BST (UK) »
It was obviously quite a common thing in Liverpool - my stepfather's family had a dairy complete with cows in Park Road, in the Dingle area of Liverpool 8, just behind where Woolworths was (don't know whether either the old dairy or Woolworths are still there!). It is amazing to think cows were kept so near to the city centre. Presumably they also kept at least one horse, which would have been used to deliver the milk (which was how we all got our milk when I was young).

Don't things change quicky -that was only a couple of generations ago!

Offline Pegasuss

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 02 July 09 14:00 BST (UK) »
It was obviously quite a common thing in Liverpool - my stepfather's family had a dairy complete with cows in Park Road, in the Dingle area of Liverpool 8, just behind where Woolworths was (don't know whether either the old dairy or Woolworths are still there!). It is amazing to think cows were kept so near to the city centre. Presumably they also kept at least one horse, which would have been used to deliver the milk (which was how we all got our milk when I was young).

Don't things change quicky -that was only a couple of generations ago!

What a Coinsidence!

I was talking to a Taxi driver (@15mins ago) who told me about the Dairy in Park road!  ::) ;)

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 02 July 09 17:13 BST (UK) »
Woolworths in Park Road disappeared long before the recent total shut-down of all its branches.  Can't say about the dairy, as I only pass on the bus!
There was an article in the latest 'Liverpool Family Historian' about Liverpool cowkeepers who came from Westmorland, and many names were mentioned.
A

Offline big g

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 19 July 09 10:14 BST (UK) »
My grandfather had a dairy at 3 Argos Rd., Kirkdale in 1905, he and his family had moved from Llandwrog, Caernarvonshire.  Later he had a dairy and general shop at 47 Linacre Lane Bootle, where he, my parents, and I  lived for a year before it was lost in the May Blitz 1941.

Glenys
Williams - Llanllyfni Llandwrog Llanrug Bedd Austr.
Jones - Beddgelert/Nantlle
Parry - Llanllyfni
Owen s - Beddgelert
Pierce - Llanrug
Jarvis/Jervis - Llanrug
Roberts - Llanddeiniolen
Griffith  - Beddgellert/LLanrug

"This information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Corrin - I.o.M./Bootle/K'dale/Seaforth
Stewart - Durham L'pool
Whitford -I o M L'pool
Atkinson - Bootle K'dale
Crookham - Formby Crosby L'pool

Lloyd Dickinson Burgess Threlfall Tarbuck - Lancs

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 19 July 09 14:41 BST (UK) »
And the milk from the dairy was delivered to the local houses by a horse and cart .

Offline Brie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 21 December 09 11:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

There was an article in The Dalesman May and June 1978 entitled 'Cowkeepers from the Pennine Dales' by P J Mellor.

Apparently about 4,000 head of cattle were kept within the Liverpool boundary at the beginning of this century (Last century now!).  The owners of the milk houses were predominately from Westmorland, Cumberland and Yorkshire Dales farming families. Often they went in order to make enough money to set up on their own farm back home.

The article says that this movement of people probably started about the 1860s when the lead-mines were closing down and there was a period of agricultural depression. One family moved in the 1870s as farm rents had been raised for three successive years.

The houses in Liverpool were "Constructed of brick, they comprised a large house with dairy, shippon, hay loft over stable, trap shed, muck midden and a cobbled yard, within high walls and wooden gates".

There are details about cowkeeping and about the families from the area - the whole article runs to nearly 8 A4 sheets.

There is a  further references at the end of the article:

Harris, Alan: The Milk Supply of the East Riding 1850-1950. East Riding Local History Society

Brie