Author Topic: LIVERPOOL COWKEEPERS  (Read 83038 times)

Offline Pegasuss

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: LIVERPOOL COWKEEPERS
« Reply #36 on: Monday 21 December 09 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Brie.

Apparently about 4,000 head of cattle were kept within the Liverpool boundary at the beginning of this century (Last century now!).  The owners of the milk houses were predominately from Westmorland, Cumberland and Yorkshire Dales farming families. Often they went in order to make enough money to set up on their own farm back home.

Netherfield Road in Everton, Liverpool/West Derby was originally called 'Tetherfield', it got this name from the owners of surounding fields renting out portions for Farmers/Dairymen to leave their animals (Horses, Cattle, Sheep, Pigs & etc) when on the way to Markets in Liverpool (Old Haymarket being the nearest).

There were probably other sites around the outskirts of the City used for the same purpose (Wavertree, West Derby, Allerton, Toxteth)?

Prince Alfred Road, Wavertree was originally known as 'Cowslip Lane'!
Hertzberger, Highton, Walker, Eaton, Webster, Brown, Wright, Speed, Dodd, Holland, Melling, Murphy, Edwards, Bennett, Collins, Critchley, Duffy, Owens, Morgan & Humphreys

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline elinorb

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 03 January 10 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am researching my family history. My grandma (harriet davi(d)son) lived in utting avenue and worked in a dairy in the 1930s/40s+.  I would love to find out which dairy she worked in, i'm thinking possibly the one on cherry lane as i know that is close to utting avenue.  If anyone has any info regarding my grandma or the dairy on cherry lane i would really appreciate it.  Many thanks!!

Offline Domingo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 03 January 10 23:05 GMT (UK) »
A very interesting topic.

Before my dad went to school each morning he worked in a dairy in Smithdown Road Liverpool, the building was between the cemetery and Hartington road.  Due to drinking the milk he contacted TB of the bones which resulted in him having a curvature of the spine.

Mary

Offline Humphpaul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 17:49 GMT (UK) »
To Elinorb. In the 1940s there was a dairy shop on the corner of Woodland Rd. and Cherry Lane if I remember correctly. Run by a family called Tudor. My brother knew one of the brothers and they had a sister about our age so they may be still around. The shop had a lucky dip bran tub which was not lucky for me and that is all I remember. I don't think they had any cows there. We knew the family via Clubmoor Presbyterian Sunday School and did not live near there. Hope this helps. Alan Williams. (Humphpaul)
Paul, Humphrey, Vaughan, Lewis, Williams, Parry, Jones, Fairclough, Howard, Allan, Baylis, Wright, Ritson.
Barmouth, Llangellinin, Liverpool, Maryport Cumberland, Port Glasgow, Nercwys (Nerquis), Mold, Gwysaney, Hope, Doddleston, Higher Kinnerton.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 22:56 GMT (UK) »
COWKEEPER one who kept one or more cows in cities when a cow was kept in the back yard of a house, providing milk which was sold; forerunner of the local dairy OCCUPATION

That makes sense of what one of my ancestors was doing in London.  I know its not Liverpool, but I had wondered how he could be a cowkeeper in London.  He obviously didn't like the big city because at the next census he was back with his family in rural Lincolnshire.

Lizzie

Offline birmespratt

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 05 February 10 15:22 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather had a dairy at 3 Argos Rd., Kirkdale in 1905, he and his family had moved from Llandwrog, Caernarvonshire.  Later he had a dairy and general shop at 47 Linacre Lane Bootle, where he, my parents, and I  lived for a year before it was lost in the May Blitz 1941.

Glenys
[Hi Glenys, my Grandfather along with his mother,  had a dairy at 104 Medlock street Kirkdale having both moved from Low Row Swaledale around 1880. He was a best friend of your father Bob who of course went on to become a dairyman in Formby. Happy days !

Offline big g

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 27 February 10 15:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Colin,

Just noticed your posting.

There is now only one dairy deliverying in Formby; Bates Farm & Dairy Ltd., of Birkdale.
Williams - Llanllyfni Llandwrog Llanrug Bedd Austr.
Jones - Beddgelert/Nantlle
Parry - Llanllyfni
Owen s - Beddgelert
Pierce - Llanrug
Jarvis/Jervis - Llanrug
Roberts - Llanddeiniolen
Griffith  - Beddgellert/LLanrug

"This information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Corrin - I.o.M./Bootle/K'dale/Seaforth
Stewart - Durham L'pool
Whitford -I o M L'pool
Atkinson - Bootle K'dale
Crookham - Formby Crosby L'pool

Lloyd Dickinson Burgess Threlfall Tarbuck - Lancs

Offline AiredalePete

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 21 May 10 16:59 BST (UK) »
Some of my ancestors moved from their North Craven farms and became cowkeepers in the Bootle area of Liverpool.

An extract from Faith Wolfenden Finegan's book, 'A Bit Akin - the Story of a North Craven Farming Family' reads:

The first Wolfenden to be attracted to Liverpool was cousin Robert, second son of James of Woodhouse Gate.  He went to Bootle about 1877 with his wife Jane and their young baby.  They would have plenty of family support.  Two brothers in law, James and Robert Waterworth were already there; they had married cousin Robert's sisters, Betsy and Isabella.  Some of Jane's family, the Manserghs were there too.

The life of a cowkeeper wasn't an easy option however.  The cattle were kept inside all the year round of course, so they had to be 'fothered' in the shippons with plenty of nourishing food to ensure good quality milk.  At least twice a day they were let out into the yard for an airing and to drink at the trough.  There were no water bowls in those days.  Milking was by hand and so that fresh milk would be on the breakfast tables, the men began to milk at 5am at the latest.  The afternoon milking began at 3 o'clock.  It was hot in the shippons and even strong young men would often catch cold when they went out into the wintry weather.  Many developed pneumonia and died.

Reference: A Bit Akin: The Story of a North Craven Farming Family by Faith W. Finegan

Lamberts Printers
2 Station Road
Settle
North Yorkshire
BD24 9AA

Telephone: 01729 822177
Baguley, Bargh, Boulby, Broadbent, Crabtree, Dearden, Earnshaw, Greenwood, Hanson,  Hardy, Heap, Murgatroyd, Nash, Robinson, Shackleton, Sunderland, Taylor, Uttley, Veevers, Whitaker, Wilkinson, Wolfenden

Offline CarrieBunf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 04 July 10 18:18 BST (UK) »
I have found this topic fascinating.

I have been taking photos of old dairies/cowkeepers premises in Liverpool for the past few months.
My photos are here: member has made photographs private

Please feel free to let me know if there are any other dairies you remember and I will add to my list.

Carrie
www.flickr.com/carrie132
Champion (Liverpool/Gloucester), Wilkinson (Liverpool), Bunford (West Mids)