Author Topic: Stephenson - rocket  (Read 3958 times)

Offline gailmulligan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Stephenson - rocket
« on: Friday 18 February 05 13:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
Like many others my husband is supposed to be related to the Stephenson family.
We have a Mary Ann Stephenson born 1833/4 in Tynemouth. Her father is William Stephenson.  She married in Durham. If you have any info or are conneted to the Stephensons please feel free to contact us.
Thanks
Gail

Offline jonana

• I am sorry but my emails are not working.
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stephenson - rocket
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 January 06 20:05 GMT (UK) »
hi, my mother was a Stephenson, her father was Alfred Stehenson born on 2nd August 1911 at 61 Edwin Avenue,Longbenton,Tynemouth to Eva Isabel (Wood) and Edward Stephenson, they were a supposedly large family and due to my family now all in Derbyshire we have no idea of any other family members, however we were always told of George Stephenson being our relation and Stockton a famiky residense at some time and Easington and Sunderland, Im hopoing someone out there could give me a few ideas on how to get any furthur with my tree,
 thanks Jonana
Ayre, Stephenson, Wray, Briddon, Crowder, Taylor, Whitby, Northumberland, Durham, Derbyshire

Offline adicol

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 February 06 17:03 GMT (UK) »
LOL, I am a stephenson, and we too are supposed to be related to the Stephenson Rocket guy lol
My relations are all in Easington. If u want any info just contact me, i got quite a bit...havent confirmed the stephenson rocket guy bit yet tho

Colleen
DUR; Stephenson, Wray, Collier, Lowther,Rothery
GLA; Jones, Allen, Holland, Nicholas,George,Lewis
ESS; Davey
W.Yorks; Martin, Hodgson, Tyler,Harrold
LAN; Dodd, Constable, Brinkley
Guernsey; Le Riche

Offline jonana

• I am sorry but my emails are not working.
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 February 06 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply, Im afraid  thats all the info I possess, my grandad had a brother Edward and my nana was also from Sunderland, her family name was Ayre, and Brough Ayre was a family name, also Ross is sometimes attached on the Ayre side, but Im at a loss to the Stephenson side, but any titbits you can give me Ill try to ask my Aunt about, shes too young to remember hardly anything but sometimes a name revives a memory! Thanks again,
 Joanne x
Ayre, Stephenson, Wray, Briddon, Crowder, Taylor, Whitby, Northumberland, Durham, Derbyshire

Offline mockil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 July 07 19:11 BST (UK) »
I have the same rumour in my family, if I have remembered correctly the only direct Stephenson descendants can come from George 's brothers Robert and John. He had another brother James I think who had no kids.
I am sorry but my emails are no longer working.

Offline sue1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 July 07 21:41 BST (UK) »
My g.g.g. grandmother was called Mary Ann Stephenson born 1810, who was a cousin of George Stephenson, although we are having trouble trying to find the exact link. She was born in Warenford Northumberland and married John Kirkup.
northumberland: kirkup, stephenson, hume, bell,balmbra
sunderland: colling
yorkshire: booker

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 July 07 21:46 BST (UK) »
I too, as a child, was told that Grandad was related in the far distant past to Stephenson ... I believed it implicitly when I was a child; now I'm a silver-top, I have my doubts, especially after joining RootsChat !

However, since I started tracing my Grandad's family from London back to Bath, I then worked back further and found they were Law's and Bainbridge's from STOCKTON !    That's it ... brick wall time !   :( :( :(

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline perrine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 August 13 14:21 BST (UK) »
Newbie alert

Hi Sue1,
I think we might be related, as I am descended from the Eleanor Elliott who was visiting your John and Mary Kirkup in the 1861 census. She was married to Robert Elliott in 1828 at Embledon, and was born 1802 at Ford Moss, baptised Etal Presbyterian, to John Stevenson and possibly Mary. She had 2 bothers Andrew and James, and a sister Margaret that I know of.
We also have the story that she was a cousin of George Stephenson, and that when her husband Robert who had small collieries at North Sunderland, and Newton by the Sea, got into financial difficulties because he couldn't compete with Joicey as he was further from the railway, George offered him a post/money but he refused wanting to remain his own man. This is confirmed in an interview with their son Robert Elliott, the miner's poet, in the Newcastle Weekly 6 April 1912.
I haven't been successful in finding out just who John Stephenson's father was, or proving that he was the father of 'Old Bob' too - along with everyone else.
Anyway, Eleanor was supposed to have been blind, so would make sense if she was staying with a relative ie sister?
Avery - Tintagel,Cornwall
Bray-Tintagel,Cornwall
Cooke-Stratton, Cornwall
Edgar-Cupar, Fife; Dundee
Elliott-Northumberland-Glanton, Embleton, Choppington; Victoria, Aust- Ballarat, Charlton
Gaire-London, Northumberland Hardy-Hampshire -Hamble, Southampton
Janverin-Channel Is; Hampshire,
Louttit- Wick, Caithness
McCallum-Kilfinnan, Argyll
McDiarmid-Killin, Perthshire
McDougall-Argyll
McNaughton-Argyll; Hamilton, VIC,Australia
Noonan- Clonmel,Tipperary
Stephenson-Ford,Etal,Embleton-Northumberland

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 August 13 05:19 BST (UK) »
A genealogy of George/Robert Stephenson published on the Internet.

http://www.geni.com/people/George-Stephenson/6000000015540992420