Author Topic: maiden names!-COMPLETED WITH INTREST - THANK YOU  (Read 1841 times)

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: maiden names!
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 05 April 09 04:52 BST (UK) »
JJ,

It seems that Peter was 20, not 30.

1871 census has, at Arnloss Colliery Slamannan, Peter RANKINE 22 Coal Miner, born Polmont Linlithgow; Jane wife 17 b Denny, Stirling; Elizabeth daughter 2 months, b Slamannan; and a boarder, also a coal miner, Charlie JARVIE.

1881 census 105 Roughrigg Row, New Monkland Landward Lanarkshire, Peter RANKIN 33 Coal Miner, b Slamannan; Jane 27 wife b Slamannan; and children Elizabeth 10 b Slamannan; the rest  born New Monkland - James 8 ; Mathew 5; Agnes 3; Marion 1.

From the IGI:
Elizabeth RANKINE b Slamannan Stirling, 4 Jan 1871, parents Peter RANKINE & Jeanie HOGGIN.

James RANKIN b New Monkland, Lanark, 18 Jan 1873, parents Peter RANKIN & Jane HOGGANS.

(Submitted entry) Peter RANKINE, b 1849, Polmont Stirling, parents James RANKINE & Agnes MARSHALL.

I don't see an entry for Jane's pre-1855 birth/baptism.  But several extracted entries for younger siblings, children of Matthew HOGGAN & Elizabeth PATON all b Slamannan - Robert (surname as HUGGINS) b 1856, John b 1857, Helen 1859, John 1861, David 1863, and James 1865.

Jane's father seems to have re-married.  In 1881, Mathew HOGGANS is at Arnloss Colliery with a wife Margaret, his sons David 7 and James 5 (from his first marriage), four GRAY children (presumably Margaret's from a previous marriage), and a William HOGGANS 10 mths (presumably from the second marriage). 

JAP

Offline JJbeech

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 05 April 09 10:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Net
Thank you for your help, I only recognised the marshall after i started to post, but the more people agree the better i like it!

Jap,
Thank you for your wonderful information, i'll need to finish my coffee before i can start studing it i think! ;)
Peter being 20 makes much more sense but that has to be the strangest 2 i've ever seen, registrars?? ???

Thank you ALL for you help and the loan of your eyes! (which obviously are all better than mine!)

Thank you
JJ

Offline JJbeech

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 05 April 09 11:34 BST (UK) »
JJ,

Jane's father seems to have re-married.  In 1881, Mathew HOGGANS is at Arnloss Colliery with a wife Margaret 

JAP

How strange is this I just had to share it with you all! Jap is obviously spot on with the above!(and the rest JAP! ;) ) I previously only posted a cropped version of the marriage line, however have just looked at it again! :o :o :o

Posting the full thing! TY Jap I'd never have noticed my 2 for one deal!!! How strange! ;D ;D

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: maiden names!-uncomp for 2mins!, added cert FYA!!
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 05 April 09 12:05 BST (UK) »
Hi JJ,

Ain't that something!!!

Especially as Margaret apparently married under her maiden name!

I would have been searching for her under GRAY (the surname of what were presumably her children) - I guess that needs looking into too.  You can get Prop searching some more in the censuses!

A great find!

Best of luck,

JAP

Offline JJbeech

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: maiden names!-
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 05 April 09 12:12 BST (UK) »
Oh I will!!! (She likely want to after I show her that page!! ;))
Thank you JAP, I'd never have noticed it without your info!

JJ