Author Topic: Blencathra Sanatorium Burials  (Read 8698 times)

Offline Colin Cruddace

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for GG Grandad... Must have GSH
    • View Profile
Re: Blencathra Sanatorium Burials
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 02 February 12 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello Clearly,  :)

Thank you very much for checking and for your very generous offer which I would like to take you up on. I will send a PM.

Very much appreciated,
Colin

Offline clearly

• RootsChat Senior
  • If we understand the past we understand the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 07 February 12 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Colin,
Just to tidy up this posting for those who have read the foregoing. Blencathra records are virtually untouched in Carlisle archives -- still thick with soot from before their deposition. I hit lucky and found Charles Henry's case notes in the first few envelopes.  It did not say anything about his death but did give his date of admittance, home address and a fairly complete resume of his life for the previous four years.
Forster Cul, Harrison Cul, Wood Cul Yks, Castley Cul & Wes, Lorimer Cul and Perth,Innis Cul, Casson, Cul, Johnston,Cul & Nfk, Carruthers Cul, Ewart Cul, Jardine Cul & Dmf, Story Cul, ONeill Cul & NI, Davis Cul & Ldn,

Offline Jos, Whitehaven

• I am sorry but I have turned off all notifications to my topics
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 07 February 12 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Colin,
Just to tidy up this posting for those who have read the foregoing. Blencathra records are virtually untouched in Carlisle archives -- still thick with soot from before their deposition. I hit lucky and found Charles Henry's case notes in the first few envelopes.  It did not say anything about his death but did give his date of admittance, home address and a fairly complete resume of his life for the previous four years.

Having his home address may indicate where his funeral service and burial took place, if not at Threlkeld. You have done really well for Colin.

Offline Colin Cruddace

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 08 February 12 01:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jos and Clearly,

I agree that Clearly has done exceptionally well in checking the records for me (and emailed a copy  :D :D ;D).

I was surprised to find that his symptoms had been treated over a 4 year period, which started with Pleurisy and ended with TB. The record shows that both his parents and a brother died of TB (Phthisis) but there are others who died, which I had also assumed was through TB, except for one who died from drowning in the Tyne. I'll need to get a few more death certificates to sort out what happened to each one. It just goes to show that it doesn't pay to draw conclusions.

It was such a tragic family and I am so grateful to my Grandad's Aunt who got him drunk to get married to my Gran  ::) ;D ;D

As for Charles Henry's burial, I have checked for Gateshead cemeteries burials without success, so am awaiting a reply from St Mary's Threlkeld to see if he was buried locally, which would fit in with the other burials - buried where they died (and no headstone  :'( )

Many thanks for your interest and help,
Colin

Offline Colin Cruddace

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 08 February 12 01:36 GMT (UK) »
I'm getting very slow nowaday's. so it would seem  ::)

The record that Clearly sent was his Admission details, so his treatment was for well over 6 years as he was at Blencathra for over 2 years. I've never come across anyone with TB lasting more than a year so this seems to be quite exceptional for that time.

My mother remembers that she was treated for TB and convalesced in the Lakes when she was about 15, so it could well have been Blencathra. She is aged 97 and still going strong so they must have done a good job  ;D ;D ;D

Colin

Offline Mcguigly

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 06 June 22 11:47 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I am just messaging on this chat as I am also searching for someone who died at Blancathera sanatorium. My fiancé's nan died there aged 24 in 1949. His name was Edward Styles, son of Mary and William John Styles. His daughter (my fiancé's nan) was just 2 when he died. She has recently suffered a stroke and we are trying to help her remember and process her memories and one thing she is desperate to do is visit her fathers grave.

If anyone can provide any help or advice on who best to contact about getting further information on this, that would be massively appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Hannah