Author Topic: 1830 EDWARDS-LLOYD marriage in Chirk  (Read 3651 times)

Offline nudge67

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
1830 EDWARDS-LLOYD marriage in Chirk
« on: Sunday 05 April 09 23:42 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

On 20th December 1830, a Thomas Edwards married an Elizabeth Lloyd at Chirk, Denbighshire. I'm looking to confirm that they are my gt-gt-gt-grandparents.

My Thomas Edwards (born October 1800 in Oswestry, the son of John Edwards) was a farmer at Llanvorda, Salop. He married Elizabeth (born ~1795, surname unknown), who according to the 1841 census was born outside the shire. Their three known children (those that survived to teenage years and migrated to Australia) were born 1833-1837.

Of all the Thomas Edwards marrying Elizabeths in that era, the marriage at Chirk is the best fit in terms of time and location.

Is someone able to look up the parish register to confirm this, or provide me with the contact details necessary to do so?

Cheers
Nudge
NSW Convict 1836: Peter WIFFIN (alias VIVIAN)
VDL Convict 1841: Richard REES
SA Pioneers (<1847): Hornsby, Wallis, Willoughby, Floate, Mills, Chesson, Degenhardt.
SA Old Colonists (<1857): Messenger, Tyler, McFeat, Ladner, Edwards, Cassidy, Rhodes, Shaw, Waye, Sibly.
SA Colonists (<1901): Jones, Pike, Bowyer, Davey.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1830 EDWARDS-LLOYD marriage in Chirk
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 April 09 23:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Nudge

The records that I have confirm the date and names. The marriage was by the publication of Banns. Both made their mark rather than signing. They were both of the parish (but they only needed to be resident/have an address of convenience in the parish for 3 weeks prior to the marriage).

witnesses were -  T Evan Hughes; Maria Jones; Richard Stocker and John Butterton. The last three making their mark rather than signing.

Where were the children born? Children born after Sept 1837 are likely to have their birth's registered and obtaining one of these certs would confirm the mother's maiden surname.

Regards

Gadget

PS - fiche/film of the Bishop's Transcripts for Chirk can be hired via a local Family History Centre
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline nudge67

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 April 09 05:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that, Gadget.

Unfortunately, they may not be my people. Thomas Edwards was definately literate, often writing to council and government authorities on behalf of his neighbouring landholders, so I would expect him to have signed his name, not made his mark.

The youngest son John was born in January 1837. And as they migrated in 1850, they are not in the 1851 census.

unfortunately, as I am in a rural part of Australia, I don't have a local Family History Centre. But I know the BT's for St Asaph's are online at Ancestry. Is Chirk part of St Asaph's diocese?

Cheers
Nudge
SA Pioneers (<1847): Hornsby, Wallis, Willoughby, Floate, Mills, Chesson, Degenhardt.
SA Old Colonists (<1857): Messenger, Tyler, McFeat, Ladner, Edwards, Cassidy, Rhodes, Shaw, Waye, Sibly.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 April 09 10:08 BST (UK) »
Chirk is part of St Asaph Diocese but I don't believe the records for Chirk are online. There was a bit of a protest about the LDS copying them.

I have the full set of transcripts for Chirk as some of my ancestors (and I) were in the area since about 1750.

I've also got fiches of some of the Shropshire parishes.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline nudge67

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 April 09 10:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help, gadget.

If you happen to have Oswestry, any chance you could check for thomas edwards there?

Cheers
Nudge

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 April 09 12:09 BST (UK) »
I don't have the Oswestry records beyond 1812. However, I think that they are all on the IGI anyway  :-\

Did the whole family migrate because there might be a death record for Elizabeth in Australia that would give her maiden name.

Gadget

Offline Paul

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 April 09 23:39 BST (UK) »
nudge, Gadget :) I had a quick look in Chirk baptisms.
I couldn't see a baptism for a John Edwards s/o Thomas & Elizabeth around 1837 :(

Paul.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 April 09 23:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul  :)

That's a pity because I have the Chirk records to 1848 -ish and had checked.

All the births took place in Llanvorda or (at least) the Oswestry parish, I believe, and they just say Thomas Edwards and Elizabeth. Elizabeth was not b. in Shropshire but it could be Denbighshire or Merionethshire. Montgomeryshire

I found a marriage for a Thomas Edwards and Elizabeth (I think it was Eyton) in Llangollen in 1833 but not enough info to say for sure.

Gadget

Offline Paul

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 06 April 09 23:58 BST (UK) »
Sorry Gadget :) didn't realise you already checked Chirk.

Paul :-[  :D