Author Topic: From Keady to Emy  (Read 29786 times)

Offline Newgent_for_life

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: From Keady to Emy
« Reply #63 on: Friday 08 May 09 23:58 BST (UK) »
Dear Siouxsie,
I received your e-mails and content which I am most grateful for. Although this is not the Catherine we are looking for, I agree with you that both this  Catherine and Herbert will be related somewhere along the line.

Yours etc.,

Newgent.
Arbuckle;Bamford;Fagan;Glenny;Graham;Maxwell; McAlister;Mitchell;Williamson;Wisdom

Offline Siouxsie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My grandmother, Myrtle Isabel
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Thursday 21 May 09 06:02 BST (UK) »
Dear Newgent,
Sorry to have not gotten back to you.......have had some major family issues to deal with.

Has the wonderful library lass sent you anything yet on the Graham family?

I have had a message from the Family History man, and he is unable to locate Archie's grave, so we must assume he is buried in the Rose Garden. When I next head into Wollongong (and it's nor pouring with rain as it currently is), i will take several photos of the garden for you.

Cheers
Susie :D
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Hutton : Edinburgh, Scotland
Downey : England
Ingram: St George East, Middlesex and New Zealand
Roberts : Grafton, NSW
Blackadder : Grafton, NSW
Gillett : Grafton, NSW
Brocklebank :Carkettle, Lancashire
Bowes : Ulverston, Lancashire
Rose : Bo'ness, Linlithgowshire, Scotland
Kelleher:County Cork, Ireland
Shepherd : Helpringham, Lincolnshire

Offline Newgent_for_life

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Friday 22 May 09 10:17 BST (UK) »
Dear Siouxsie,
You have been more than gracious towards me with your time. May God bless you and your family always.
I received an e-mail from Marisa O'Connor on 18th. last. She was most helpful, generally speaking, however I am still going to reserve my credit for J.J.
Marissa, that wonderful library lass, has sent some worthwhile contacts; The Illawarra Family History Group; Historical Society INC., etc. I hope I can help her collections by sending some snaps of Archy's wives and children. Say nothing at the moment incase its not successful.
I was not able to say what I wanted to say regarding the Memorial; in fact I was not able to say anything other than give my e-mail address, which is inserted after the notes on Cathering Fox.

Yours sincerely,

Newgent.

PS. Thats a nice photograph.
Arbuckle;Bamford;Fagan;Glenny;Graham;Maxwell; McAlister;Mitchell;Williamson;Wisdom

Offline Siouxsie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Friday 22 May 09 11:12 BST (UK) »
Dear Newgent,
As we have torrential rain here at the moment, I have not been able to get a photo of the rose garden for you yet.

The library lass is wonderful.......she is off work for a couple of weeks I believe.

What happened with the memorial??????

Many thanks for your comment re my photo........my mother died on 12th May and we held her funeral this Tuesday where I gave the eulogy....it has been an emotional time.

Cheers
Susie

Offline Newgent_for_life

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Monday 25 May 09 08:23 BST (UK) »
[quote author=Siouxsie. Has the wonderful library lass sent you anything yet on the Graham family yet.
Here are some extracts from the ( Illawarra Pioneers; pre 1900; LR929.3 ILL ); information Marissa sent me.
The first difference was Archy's mother's maiden name was Hillem (not Laverty).
Places of residences; Sydney -1852; Brownsville- 1863; Keira Cottage, Cross Roads, Wollongong-1893.
Occupations; Baker- 1838-52; Baker and Flour Millowner - 1853-1885.
Marriages; Mary Campbell, Armagh, 1834; Catherine Fox, St. Philip's, Sydney, 14.10.1852.
After a major setback when the Flour Milling business nearly folded, but survived, Archy's two sons carried on the business and he, along with John Bright, ran a ketch, "The Comet" between Wollongong and Sydney.
Archy was involved in various mining ventures down the coast and in various parts of the colony.
PS have to  rush off; more later; Yours sincerely,  Newgent.

Offline Siouxsie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Tuesday 26 May 09 08:32 BST (UK) »
Dear Newgent,
Great news that you have some information on Archie's life. Here is a photo of Wollongong Harbour around the time Archie was sailing http://illawarraimages.wollongong.nsw.gov.au/illaweb/scripts/default.asp?Lib=/IllaIms

Enter Boats and there are all sorts of great photos of the harbour.

Cheers
Susie

Offline Newgent_for_life

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 10:25 BST (UK) »
[quote author=Siouxsie. Here is a photo of Wollongong Harbour around the time Archie was sailing.

Dear Siouxie,
Thank you very much for these wonderful photographs. At last I can see how my Ancestors lived and worked in Australia.

Yours sincerely,    Newgent

Offline Siouxsie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 21:30 BST (UK) »
Dear Newgent,
It's a wonderful photo of a working harbour (that is still a fishing boat harbour today).

There are some wonderful photos of Brownsville, Mount Kembla (where some of Archie's children lived), Flour mills and old Wollongong in "Illawarra Images" http://illawarraimages.wollongong.nsw.gov.au/illaweb/scripts/default.asp?Lib=/IllaIms

Just put in these search terms and explore your ancestors life.

Also.........I have just realised........if you put in Rose Garden, then the Pioneer Cemetery Rose garden pictures are there (this is where we think Archie is buried)........they are old photos......I will still take some for you next time I am in Wollongong.

Cheers
Susie

Offline Newgent_for_life

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Saturday 30 May 09 22:21 BST (UK) »
Continuation of reply no. 67.......Archie was involved in mining ventures down the coast and in various parts of the Colony and was a main shareholder in the Old Temperance Hall and, after it was burnt down, the sole owner. He was one of the first Aldermen on the Wollongong Council and for a time a Warden at St. Michael's Anglican Church. He died in 1893 leaving a widow and twelve surviving children out of a total of 21.

Archibald Graham, jun., was born in Sydney in 1853. He was brought up in Illawarra, and learned the milling business under his father, Mr. Archibald Graham, sen., who started about 1862. The latter gentleman carried on business until 1883, when he retired handing over to our subject the control of the mill. This is a silk dressing steam mill of 14 horse-power, and has two pairs of stones, turning out about thirty tons of flour per week. The district not being now what is called a grain- growing one, Mr. Graham imports his corn from Victoria and South Australia, and has always succeeded in taking prizes for his flour at the local shows. He also carries on, in conjunction with the mill, the largest produce business on this coast, and altogether finds employment for ten hands.He was married in 1883 to the daughter of Captain Cummins, of London, and has two sons. He is a member of the Church of England and a director of a local gas company.
(The Aldine Centennial History of N.S.W. 1888 by W.F. Morrison, Vol. 2.)

Yours etc.,    Newgent.