Author Topic: WW1 photo  (Read 2110 times)

Offline brimarge

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WW1 photo
« on: Monday 06 April 09 19:14 BST (UK) »
This is a photo of Herbert L Martin born 25 Dec 1890 died 8 Jan 1968

I am trying to find if he served in WW1 and any other information, parents, brothers/sisters, what does the middle intial of L represent. he married Agnes Sloan (probably in Canada in the late 1920s) but they had no children

Offline percy porter

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Alan NZ
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 photo
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 April 09 19:16 BST (UK) »
alan nz
Britton:Hawkins: London
Stephenson: Cox: London
Straughan: Sweeney: Newcastle/Durham
Liddell: Hobson:Newcastle/Durham
Horne:Oxfordshire/ Bienfait/Winnipeg
Voss: Dorset

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline brimarge

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 April 09 19:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shelly,

It was me that asked before but not about his possible war service, is it a USA uniform, it does not seem to have any insignia
Brian

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 April 09 02:23 BST (UK) »
I have access to a book entitled, "Heraldry and Regalia of War: Uniforms and Decorations of World Wars I & II" edited by Bernard Fitzsimons, published by Phoebus, London, 1973, page 74, 76.  It appears that the hat is American, circa 1902/03, from the Mexican War, and the uniform appears to be American infantry from 1917.  Your picture shows a US emblem on the stand-up collar and seaming from the upper inside of the leg to the outside of the knee as does the  WWI picture depicted in the book.  The hat, circa early 1900s is the same as that depicted in the book for the Mexican War.  My husband has an interest in uniforms of this era and by looking at his reference books, he thinks it is a WWI infantry uniform.  If he was in the cavalry, he would be wearing knee high boots and jodhpurs, not the army boots and puttees.  It also appears that the photo might have been taken after he mustered out, since the uniform appears to be stretched to fit.  If you would like me to send the images, PM me your email address.

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 April 09 06:03 BST (UK) »
Can I suggest that you post an enquiry on the Armed Forces board:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,300.0.html

:)
Prue

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 April 09 12:45 BST (UK) »
My husband located another reference that shows the hat and shirt in combination with the ammunition pouches, which your photo is lacking.  This photo is definitely a WWI US uniform.  The book is entitled, "World War I" by H.P. Willmott, published 2003, by Dorling Kindersley Publishing Inc, New York, New York, page 267.

Offline brimarge

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 April 09 14:08 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the detailed info regarding the uniform, I would not be surprised if there is a mis-match of uniform ie hat and uniform as the USA (and most other belligerents) was fairly unprepared for the number of men that eventually went into uniform.

Pru, not sure how to transfer this to the armed forces section or do I just put it in as new topic.

What I would now like to know, of course, is alittle bit about his time in the army, when did he enlist, discharge, did he go overseas to Europe etc

Brian

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 11 April 09 23:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Brian   :)

Just start a new topic on the Armed Forces board asking for help, and paste in the URL for this topic that we're on now - here it is:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,373457.0.html

Hope that helps  :D

Cheers
Prue