Author Topic: Whitburn Durham request  (Read 14140 times)

Offline jwilko

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Whitburn Durham request
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 17:25 BST (UK) »
no problem polly if you want to find out more about the william wilkinson you are stuck on contact the blessed trinity. He was also a member and a master mariner/captain and all members logged a birth certificate. Hope that helps

Offline jwilko

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 17:26 BST (UK) »
Not a birth certificate but they filled in forms regarding where they lived and parents etc so i am told

Offline jwilko

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 17:30 BST (UK) »
Also you will find the local archives have some maps of Whitburn that were drawn up from that period and some properties sold belonging to Captain Wilkinson by his executors after his death. I think you will find out this is william due to being a bretheren at the blessed trinity (trinity house, newcastle upon tyne). They have family history on william and his sons and family and durham university library also have a will catalogue setup online that states williams will was one of the ones sent to utah for family search to index the images on the beta website. They have not put the images up so far but you can obtain a copy from durham university library and also get information on Williams membership with trinity house. Good luck with your searches. I hope this informations helps

John

Offline jwilko

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 29 April 11 21:36 BST (UK) »
here is a link to the catalogue of north east wills given to the family search website

http://familyrecords.dur.ac.uk/nei/

Offline jwilko

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 29 April 11 21:47 BST (UK) »
This is the details of the map mentioned previously. You can find it on the national archives website

"A Plan of the late Sir W[illiam] Williamson Baronet's Estate Situated in the Parishes of Whitburn and Monkwearmouth Surveyed in 1810 and 1811 by Thomas Bulmer".  DX882/3  1811

Offline jwilko

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 11 June 11 02:18 BST (UK) »
Historical houses of whitburn

WHITBURN HOUSE built for william wilkinson in the 18th century. later became the home of richard spoor, the mayor of sunderland, in 1834

This is not to be confused with Whitburn House the mansion house on the bank.

You can purchase a book called "memories of whitburn in words and pictures, by sybil Reeder for info on whitburn and it's history

Offline bartonbeach

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 15 April 16 16:15 BST (UK) »
Hello I have only just joined this site and the post you made was back in 2009 20 July... so just hoping you are still actively researching. Post 8 Durham lookup deals with the Wilkinson family of Whitburn. My wife decends from William Wilkinson d 1802 Whitburn and we have been lucky to trace a full tree back to him and his father  Thomas elder. You say in your post that you have some scans of the register. We would love to be able to add these to our records. Hope you will reply.

Offline jwilko

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 16 April 16 09:43 BST (UK) »
the quest for the missing scans. Hope this person responds, but I suspect that the only way you will see these scans is a trip to Durham or an offer from somebody in Durham to look them up next time that they are in the records office. when I went to Durham records office the lindisfarne gospels were on show so the family history centre was relocated to a new building. When I requested to access bishopwearmouth parish records for the years not shared with family search for BT's they told me that the only records that they have to view are the same as the ones already shared on the Internet. When I asked to see Whitburn St Mary they said the same thing and that I'd have to refer to a book of transcripts for the parish and no original scans are available. I wonder how the person on this forum managed to get copies???

Offline bartonbeach

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 16 April 16 14:04 BST (UK) »
Hello John yes I wonder too and hoping that we manage to contact WILK47. We may be lucky. Also wonder if any info was gained re Master Mariner registration. Thanks.