Author Topic: Whitburn Durham request  (Read 14186 times)

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: Whitburn Durham request
« Reply #9 on: Monday 06 April 09 23:28 BST (UK) »
Hi John,

The link I gave you gives the Record Office visitor information, but here are the opening hours:
Monday 8.45 a.m. - 4.45 p.m.
Tuesday 8.45 a.m. - 4.45 p.m.
Wednesday 8.45 a.m. - 8.00 p.m.
Thursday 8.45 a.m. - 4.45 p.m.
Friday closed
The Record Office is closed on Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays and all public
holidays.
Appointments: Visitors must make an appointment to consult documents or microfilms

They also have a research service - minimum charge £25  :o

Barbara  :)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 09 April 09 16:30 BST (UK) »
Will the parish records of Whitburn give location information of parents?? O.T.P or native of/address?

You can see examples of all Church Records at  http://www.rootschat.com/links/0619/   

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wilk47

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 15 May 09 19:47 BST (UK) »
I have a photocopy of a parish register page from Durham records office showing the marriage of 'william wilkinson bachelor of this parish and isabella robinson of this parish  being both of full age were married in this church (by licence) this first day of May 1782 by me  ?? Pye rector. this marriage was solemnized  between us  William Wilkinson and Isabella Robinson (now Wilkinson)  Mark X  in the presence of us Joseph Lee, Mary Lee.
entry no 157

I'm on the trail of the father of a son named Thomas Wilkinson (who I have a marriage cert for). 

Is this of use to you? This is my first post so hope it works!

Regards
Polly

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 15 May 09 19:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Polly and welcome to rootschat. 
It worked!   You could start a new post on this board for your Thomas.  (Assuming he was from Durham) Give us all the information on the marriage certificate and we will see what we can do.
Andrea

Offline wilk47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 18:20 BST (UK) »
Angela, thank you. Re THOMAS WILKINSON - I have copy of marrriage entry  from Christ Church (via Local Studies North Tyneside) showing marriage by licence of Thomas Wilkinson (my g.g.g. grandfather)of the Parish of Whitburn to Elizabeth Brewis of this parish (ie Christ Church) 07 02 1819.  I also have a photocopy of Whitburn church register showing 5th Nov 1784 baptism of Thomas born 9 August, son  of William Wilkinson which seems to tie in.  Also a photocopy of a marriage at Whitburn on 01 05 1782 between William Wilkinson and Isabella Robinson, which looks promising but I don't know how to verify that he is in fact my Thomas's father. Would be grateful for any guidance.  Live in the south so can't visit location in person
Regards
Polly

Offline tongariro

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 17 July 09 12:12 BST (UK) »
Hello Polly (and others)

I came across this post via Google.

I am researching a family line for a friend and, like you Polly, I have arrived at the marriage of Thomas Wilkinson and Elizabeth Brewis at Christ Church, North Shields on 7 Feb. 1810 [You gave 1819 in your post].  The line I am following is from their 2nd daughter, Isabella Wilkinson born in 1812.

It would be nice to get back another generation for my friend and I wondered if you had finally confirmed that it is the correct Thomas Wilkinson (of Whitburn parish) who was born in 1784 and he was the son of William Wilkinson and Isabella Robinson who married in 1782 as quoted in your posting.

Thank you.
Malcolm
Yorkshire (Rawdon) EXLEY.
Scotland (Dumfries) REID

Offline wilk47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 19 July 09 22:05 BST (UK) »
Malcolm, apologies for typo,  it certainly was 1810.  I have hit a brick wall now with my search and cannot confirm any further back than I already have. I have purchased a disk of Whitburn parish records 1579-1812 and had a look for your Isabella who you said was b.1812 but the only one recorded as being baptised in 1812 was the daughter of a John Kirkton, shoemaker (but  she was born in 1811) so is not your girl.  I have to say I am getting totally confused, as each generation in my family seemed to have just kept recycling the same Christian names.  If I get any further info though, will post it.

Kind regards
Polly

Offline tongariro

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 19 July 09 22:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Polly. 
Isabella Wilkinson (b.1812) was born to Thomas Wilkinson & Elizabeth Brewis in North Shields and I had found her baptism record on the Tynemouth parish records.

What I was really asking is whether you are satisfied in your reasearch that the marriage of William Wilkinson & Isabella Robinson in 1782 and the Thomas born in Whitburn  in 1784 were the direct line to the Thomas Wilkinson who married in North Shields in 1810.  It certainly seems so to me, and I don't suppose any other proof is available to you, but I thought I would ask.   :)
Regards
Malcolm
Yorkshire (Rawdon) EXLEY.
Scotland (Dumfries) REID

Offline wilk47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 20 July 09 17:47 BST (UK) »
Malcolm
I have 3 scans from the Durham records office showing:
1) the marriage of Thomas Wilkinson of the Parish of Whitburn and Eliz Brewis of this parish (Christ Church) married by licence on 07 02 1810. Names of officials and witnesses are unintelligable.
2) scan of baptism in 1784 at Whitburn parish church showing Nov 5th, Thomas, son of William Wilkinson born 9th August (no mother mentioned).
3) scan of marriage at Whitburn parish church of William Wilkinson of this parish, bachelor, and Isabella Robinson of this parish, spinster, being both of full age, married by licence 01 05 1782. Rector Benjamin Pye, witnesses Joseph and Mary Lee.  Isabella signed with a X, William signed his name.
That's all the concrete evidence I have I'm afraid.  Frustrating isn't it.  I can try and send you copies if you'd like them.