Author Topic: Whitburn Durham request  (Read 14183 times)

Offline tongariro

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Whitburn Durham request
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 22 July 09 10:47 BST (UK) »
Hello Polly.
Thank you very much for that detailed infomation, and sorry for the delay in responding.
I have passed the info to my friend (100 miles away) and she is thrilled to have another generation back.  She is not too bothered to have copies of the original entires, but thank you very much for making the offer.  Her Isabella (1812) must have been a sister to your ancient ancestor - a child of Thomas Wilkinson & Elizabeth Brewis.
The 'brick wall' you mention may collapse suddenly  :) - I have experienced that more than once in my own family research - and so have many others if you read threads on this site.  After all, I would not have got your information if I had not come across your posting on here.  So, I wish you success in your research and thanks once again for your input.
Malcolm

Yorkshire (Rawdon) EXLEY.
Scotland (Dumfries) REID

Offline wilk47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 22 July 09 18:07 BST (UK) »
Malcolm, you are welcome. Yes, your Isabella was the elder sister to my g.g.grandfather, William.  I had a look at my chart and it appears that they kept the name of Isabella going for some time down the years. A daughter of my great grandfather,  b. 1883 (one of 10)! was also named for her g.g.grandmother.  Quite nice really to keep the names in the family. Something we don't seem to do nowadays.  Had I been interested in genealogy when I had my children I would have followed suit - too late now. Regards. P

Offline jwilko

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 16 March 10 02:54 GMT (UK) »
Sorry for the delay in reply but I never had an email to say this post had been added too.

Yes we appear to have a tree match please contact me via the message service on this website or find me on ancestry with a tree named lotsofbranches :-D

Ok here goes

Thomas Wilkinson born 1784 married Elisabeth Brewis as mentioned previously if you goto the eldest born child in the durham bishop transcripts it states that father William Wilkinson was native of Whitburn so yes it is a definate that he was from Whitburn.

Second to this they named a son a rather strange name Mentor Wilkinson, this is poorly transcribed most of the time but the name was Mentor and in Whitburn there is also a Mentor Wilkinson born who was a master in the royal navy.

Father william wilkinson died age 65 in 1802 named as a widower and a gent.
Isabella wife of william died in 1798 named as widower of william wilkinson gent. age 39

Evidence from the census proves that a daughter was born prior to the marriage of william and isabella robinson in whitburn named ann born newcastle upon tyne. Both William and Isabella died in Whitburn.

William wilkinson and Isabella had the following children I know of.

Ann Wilkinson born 1781 Newcastle upon tyne Never married and owned a ship

William Wilkinson Nov 5 1782 Whitburn, ended up in newgate gaol on debt charges see london gazette online was a mariner

Thomas Wilkinson aug 9 1784 Whitburn married Elisabeth Brewis

Isabella Wilkinson  Dec 1 1787 Whitburn never married owned a ship

Mentor Wilkinson oct 9 1789 Whitburn Master in the royal navy and younger brethren for holy trinity married Mary Pearson from memory

Sophia Wilkinson Dec 1 1790 Whitburn died hartlepool never married owned a ship

Maria Wilkinson (Mary) apr 23 1794 Whitburn cant recall what became of her possibly died young

Amelia Wilkinson feb 18 1796 Whitburn married Thomas Brunton Esq solicitor and town clerk of sunderland.

Hope this helpswith your research I ruled out the birth of Isabella Thompson in Newcastle because she died age 39 in 1798 and a marriage in 1772 would not make sense.

There is a marriage in stannington northumberland between a william wilkinson and isabella robinson also which happens before the birth of the first daughter ann Wilkinson in Newcastle. The marriage in whitburn between william and isabella happens after the nbirth of ann and shortly before son williams birth. The william in stannington records from family search says he was born about 1836 which would fit in with the death date and age given they also have isabella robinson as fitting the age of 39 but they have a death year for william of 1820. All of the other information appears to fit well though, however I have not looked into things deaper to see what information is available or if the persons details on family search are worthy of being correct.

Offline jwilko

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 16 March 10 03:00 GMT (UK) »
sorry that first part about william being native of whitburn i meant to type thomas being native of whitburn. Both parents are named so its a match.

Offline jwilko

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 16 March 10 03:07 GMT (UK) »
and william wilkinson of stannington should have read 1736 off to bed now I am tired. However it is possible that the records are not available online and I hear that Whitburn parish records only list males full names unless its a marriage so I feel this is the end of the road as far as confirmed records go. I did wonder since he's listed as a gent and some children owned ships who never married if a will would exsist but I am unable to locate one on national archives? Maybe this is a search which needs to be done at durham records office? In the year 1802 if anybody can help with this please get in touch he died july 26 1802 burial july 29 1802

Offline jwilko

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 16 March 10 03:25 GMT (UK) »
elizabeth wilkinson nee brewis died in 1843

Offline wilk47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 16 March 10 13:22 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for all this Malcolm. I must admit this endeavour has taken a back seat lately as I'd come to a halt on this line, but I will certainly look further into the info you have given me.  Many thanks indeed, most appreciated.

Offline tongariro

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 16 March 10 14:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Polly.
The infomation is not from me - it is from John (JWilko) who started this thread.  He has very kindly passed his research on.  :)

Malcolm
Yorkshire (Rawdon) EXLEY.
Scotland (Dumfries) REID

Offline wilk47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 16 March 10 14:09 GMT (UK) »
My apologies - thank you John for the info, most appreciated.  :)