Author Topic: Info Please on McCahon Family  (Read 10571 times)

Offline michaelc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Info Please on McCahon Family
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 08 July 09 12:36 BST (UK) »
Hello there - my mother's maiden name was McCahon, and the family came from Kilrea, where the name seems to have been fairly prevalent, as there are a number of McCahon headstones in the churchyard.

hth

michaelc

Offline microbe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 09 July 09 09:27 BST (UK) »
I have spent some time recently at PRONI going through the presbyterian church records and I found quite a few marriages and baptisms for the McCahon name around Kilrea. If you are willing to give me more details about your mother i could look at my info. I am keen to build up a picture of how the various McCahons are connected.  My family came from just outside Kilrea mostly Boveedy & Moneydig. 
McCahon, Gilmore &Culnaman

Offline michaelc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 10 July 09 11:01 BST (UK) »
 Well done on the PRONI records !   There is a list of headstones for 1st Kilrea Presbyterian Church (the one near the Diamond) on  http://www.torrens.org.uk/Genealogy/BannValley/church/KilreaP1/graveyard.html .   My grandmother is buried in plot 130, and when in N Ireland, we have visited it from time to time to make sure all is well.    This takes us back to my great-great-grandfather, John Mc Cahon, b1801, if that's of any help.

( There is also a McCahon in 2nd Kilrea Presbyterian Church (the off off Maghera St) - see  http://www.torrens.org.uk/Genealogy/BannValley/church/KilreaP2/Gravestones.html)

It's not my field, but I was told that sometimes Presbyterian communities didn't have a burial ground attached to their church, especially in the early years (say before 1800), and so some Presbyterian burials may be in C of I churchyards.   Haven't come across this myself, though.     

will be interested to hear how you get on,  ..

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 10 July 09 12:11 BST (UK) »
Many Presbyterians would certainly have been buried in Church of Ireland graveyards but the headstones (if any) might not survive and the details of burials may or may not appear in the C. of I. burial register.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline alexmills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 18 November 10 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I am researching McCaughern/McCahons, which seem to be the same name. My grandfather was married twice once under McCahon and once as McCaughern and my ggrandmothers family had both names among her brothers and sisters. It seems that when they were at Rasharkin church it was McCaughern and at Finvoy McCaughern.
I have a George McCahon, born anout 1835 in Boveedy. He married a Mary Jane Michael and had a son Robert John born Aug 1865 Dallaghy, Kilrea.
Alex

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 18 November 10 12:22 GMT (UK) »
George McCahan (age 21), son of Robert, married 10 Apr.1861 Tamlaght O'Crilly (parish) to Mary Jane Michel (age 22), daughter of John Michel.

Civil registration of births started in 1864 so it's possible that son Robert was the first child whose birth was registered- townland would be Dullaghy (between Kilrea and Garvagh).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline alexmills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 18 November 10 12:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks
If this is the same family - I have her as Mary Jane, Margaret and Elizabeth Michel or Michael, I have a James William McCahon, born 1861 Boveedy.

As I am researching all McCaughrn/McCahons, I would be very grateful for any info, especially interested in a John McCaughern/McCahon b abt 1823, a schoolteacher who lived for a time in Ballydonnelly, Rasharkin, and later in Claudy, Londonderry

Regards
Alex

Offline microbe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 14 December 10 20:38 GMT (UK) »
I have been researching McCahon Family around Kilrea and have produced a family tree back to George that includes the information you mention (see below).  Have you additional info on this family? I would particularly like info on George McCahon's parents etc.
One last thought, I have never come across McCaughern/McCaughrn confused with McCahon.  Are you sure they are the same?
Many thanks

Marriage 1 June(?) 1861 @ Boveedy Pres. Church
George McCahon , Weaver of Boveedy (Father Robert McCahon, weaver)
To
Mary Jane Michil of Boveedy (Father, John Michil, occupation unknown)

Children (details from BMD site with some confirmation from other sources)

8.7.1861 James William, baptised at Boveedy Pres.
   (father listed as George McCahon married to Margt Jane Michel)

13.6.1865 Robert John ,birth registered @ Kilrea, baptised @ Boveedy Pres
 (father listed as George McCahey married to Margaret Michael)
Robert John married Mary Morell 20.1.1887-----My great grandparents

17.6.1870 Martha McCahey, birth registered @ Garvagh
      (father listed as George McCahy married to Margaret Michael)
      Martha married James McLaughlin 4.7.1889

15.3.1873 George McCahon birth registered @ Ireland
   ( father listed as George McCahon married to Margaret McMichael McCahon)

12.8.1874 James McCahon birth registered @ Garvagh, baptised @ Garvagh Pres.
      ( father George McCahon married to Margaret Michael)

26.7.1877 Nancy birth registered @ Desertoghill
      (father George McCahon married to Margaret Michael)   

From BMD Data ----Is this same couple?

George McCahon       X      Elisabeth Micheal

Children:
24.10.1867 Elisabeth birth registered @ Garvagh, baptised @ Garvagh Pres

(Possible marriage: Lizzie McCahon  X  Joseph Fleming 3.10.1895 @ 2nd Kilrea Pres)

McCahon, Gilmore &Culnaman

Offline alexmills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 15 December 10 11:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the information, I will check it with what I have and come back to you over any differences, or further information I have.
The McCahon/McCaughern family are definitely the same. My ggrandfather was an Alexander McCaughern born abt 1852 in Rasharkin. However, he was married in Finvoy Presbyterian Church under the name of Alex McCahon. My gggrandmother was a Margaret McCaughern but I have found her under McCahon, McCaugherin and her brother and sisters have 5 different spellings of the name. Her father Hugh's gravestone has the name as McCahon.
I think that the difference in spelling is due to the way the Ministers heard the name. McCaughern is used around Rasharkin, and McCahon/McCahan is used in Kilrea etc. To complicate matters further, I have just discovered a large family who are McCahay in the early church records - before 1830 and McCahan or McCahon later.
The earliest Irish records 1760 have McCaughan, and I suppose the name was recorded as heard.
Thanks again
Alex