Author Topic: ggd of Mary Ann Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In.  (Read 18854 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: ggd of Mary Ann Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In.
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday 08 April 09 02:14 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
Debs, re that will document for the Malster, back in 1787, I have copy of that from the NA, its for a John Smith of Ellington.  It doesn't give any genie info at all, not even the name of the administrator of the estate which was assessed at about ten pounds.  Cheers MA
lesanne, re that June 1857 marriage, HARTLEY=DICKENS, umm, I will follow up on that, as I don't think any of us cousins have that certificate in our collections, Cheers MA
osprey, re that 1861 census, Ta, I guess that would be the couple lesanne mentions too, and I am very appreciative of that clue re Ellen DICKENS birthplace, specially as one of John and Mary's NSW born daughters was named "Nellie", which is alternative for Ellen ! Nellie was second daughter, if there is naming pattern, then perhaps Nellie Smith born 1885 is named after her maternal grandmother! WoW, I will try to find them in 1871 and later census, cheers MA
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday 08 April 09 03:03 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

Re Hartley HARTLEY, possible clues that I have just found online today, thanks to your contributions on this thread:

1. on IGI extracted there is christening 14 July 1833 Colne (Lancs), his parents recorded as John HARTLEY and Nancy. 
2. on IGI there is 1881 Canadian Census (my ancestry sub does not extend to northern America), and there is a Hartley HARTLEY and wife Jane and children at Brantford West, Brant South, Ontario.  They were Brethren and Closed Baptists.  Ummm, that makes some sense to us here in NSW, but I don't recall ever hearing anyone in my Dad's generation mentioning Canada, and Dad and his siblings and cousins all searched the "old fashioned" way back decades ago.
3. the Ancestry site in Aus has a maintenance message indicating it will be off line between 1700 and 1900 hours today AEST,
Cheers MA
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday 08 April 09 04:08 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
Re Mary Ann HUNT of Manchester, Lancashire (likely born in 1853, as per her info on NSW births of her children)
There are three possible births for her in Lancashire 1853, per http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/cgi/birthind.cgi
There’s Mary Hartley HUNT, I have that certificate and have detailed it on this thread, no father’s name.  There’s Mary HUNT, at Oldham Below Town, mother’s nee name THORP.  There’s Mary HUNT, at Wigan (Wigan & Leigh).   
Cheers and thanks for all the help so far, its much appreciated, not just by me, but by other great grandchildren of the couple,  MA

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 08 April 09 04:20 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

On the thread http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,348323.0.html - there's photo of Mary Ann HUNT, she was the youngest of those three ladies!  The photo must have been taken shortly before June 1873, as that's when her voyage to NZ started, and the photo was taken in Manchester.

On the thread http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,347785.0.html - there's photo of John (Ellington) Smith, he's the chap with the dark waist coat holding his horse and cart.  This photo was probably taken in NSW about 1887, most likely at the construction site of the Prospect Reservoir, on the then western outskirts of Sydney, where they were building the dam wall for the then main water supply for Sydney.

Cheers, MA

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 08 April 09 04:23 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

In the photo on my own profile, I can date that too, its Christmas 1919.  The baby on the mother's lap is my own Dad, with his older siblings. The lady - my Nana, and her parents are my brickwall, yes, her parents were John and Mary Smith!  ::)

Cheers,  MA

Offline Lesanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday 08 April 09 08:44 BST (UK) »
  :D Morning Ma,

How does Ralph Hartley come into the picture...  8)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Berks Bucks Oxon= Norris Coxhead Turner Cox Weston Baston Simpson
Kent= Nicholls Mepstead Watts   Mile End=Craze Wood Bennett
Cork=Howe   NZ=Coxhead   Canada=Fenn Cox Turner

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday 08 April 09 09:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Lesanne,

You up early?  Ralph Hartley is name pencilled in by my late father, in hand sketch of family tree. next to it is written "Albion", so in 1861 census I found a Ralph Hartley on a canal vessel on the Lancs area, and name of vessel was 'flat albion", also spotted a Thomas Wilkinson and that too is another name on pencil list of my Dad's.  Dad inked in names from John and Mary Smith down to present times, but had several as poss for earlier generations.  Other possibles included a Sarah Bowerman, but I suspect that is wife of Ralph Hartley.  I also have chapter and verse on the extended family of Ralph Hartley, and it does connect to Thomas Wilkinson.  Thomas is on 1841 census, mother Ann.  Ann seems to have married twice, second time to a chap surname HUNT.  If you think it would be sensible for me to put that theory on this thread, I will, but it is important to note that it ralph Hartley would be two generations earlier than my Mary Ann Hunt.  Cheers,  MA

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday 08 April 09 09:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Toni,
re your point about John Smith's birthplace as ELY.  Unfortunately the NSW records for birth of his ten children don't always provide enough clues, sometimes the registrar only has noted CAMBRIDGESHIRE, but sometimes it is shown as ELY, ENGLAND.  I have just noticed that the one for Laura's birth (Nov 1883) shows his birthplace only as "ENGLAND".  Cheers, MA

is the John s/o John
is your John on the documents you have?

Offline Lesanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday 08 April 09 09:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Ma,
  :D No it's not early. Gone 9am by now.
If your dad had penciled the names in, it's possible he found a link for them. Why, is something needed to go with.... possibly.  ::)

I leave off on my travels again, on Thurs this week. I will be in Liverpool Archives next week, (Norris hunting) before I come home.
Although that's to late for this thread, if I can take as many "avenues" of possible lookups with me, I can see if anything comes up.

There are lots of names  ;D Have you got them listed with dates and places, and how they link in with each other.   ;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Berks Bucks Oxon= Norris Coxhead Turner Cox Weston Baston Simpson
Kent= Nicholls Mepstead Watts   Mile End=Craze Wood Bennett
Cork=Howe   NZ=Coxhead   Canada=Fenn Cox Turner