Author Topic: Mary Reynolds/Madden marriage  (Read 5738 times)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Reynolds/Madden marriage
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 08 April 09 17:02 BST (UK) »
Marriage
Ap/May/JUn 1888
Lambeth 1d 741
Alfred Ernest Brunger
one of brides on same page: Charlotte Ann Butler

so it is all tying in - Charlotte Butler in 1881 (with mum Mary Reynolds) is looking like the right girl.

But the birth cert you have is NOT her.

If you follow through jorose's post you will see that Charlotte was born Burr, but then takes adds the name Reynolds when her Mum (Mary Burr) marries John Reynolds in 1862.

Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 08 April 09 17:05 BST (UK) »
St. George in the East, Middlesex is going to be completely the wrong area - that's pretty much in central London, whereas Uxbridge/Hillingdon are areas to the west of London in Middlesex. Also, there's a death in the same quarter in St. George East for a Charlotte Reynolds, so I think the one you have the birth certificate for may have died young.

Because there are so many infant deaths, it's always worth looking for a death that matches your birth before you order a certificate.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline m1ldmay4

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 08 April 09 17:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all your suggestions. It's made me rethink the data I have and I tend to agree that the birth cert I have is NOT the right one. One probelm I do have is with recorded ages. EG:

Agreed my Gt Grandmother is Charlotte Brunger (Formerly Reynolds) previously married to Butler and born possibly BURR.

1881 census shows she is married to Richard But(t)ler aged 24. DOB is 1857.

1888 marries Alfred Brunger. I have a marriage cert of Alfred Ernest Brunger and Charlotte Ann Butler aged 34!! This makes dob 1854!! Her father's name is John William Reynolds.

1891 census shows a C Brunger as Mother to my Grandfather but her age is 29. This makes dob as 1862!!

1893 I have a death cert of Charlotte Brunger (36 yrs). The last address was very close to where she was living with Alfred (Hamilton Rd, Lambeth) so looks good.

So I have two sources that agree with the 1857 dob but 2 other sources that don't. My head hurts now. Which are the correct dates?

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 08 April 09 17:46 BST (UK) »
Have you found Alfred Brunger as a widower in 1901,to prove that you have the right death for Charlotte. Don't forget that it isn't the person themselves giving info on  death cert. So it can often be a year or two out,especially if given by a friend or in hospital and not someone in the family.

When censuses are completed people often give the age they're going to be next birthday ( my mum does that she tells everyone she's 82 but she won't be till November!) rather than how old they are on census day,particularly if their birthday is soon after census day.

Carol

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 08 April 09 17:50 BST (UK) »
Ahhh I've just noticed another thread with helpful extra info..ie Alfred died in 1895,so won't be on the 1901  ::)

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,355184.msg2351860.html#msg2351860

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 08 April 09 17:52 BST (UK) »
I was musing about the Burr lass yesterday, but didnt progrees it like JoR has done - I think its a high probability .....

wouldnt worry too much about a 3 - 5 year age discrepancy, some people didnt know how old they were !

You could get this cert conditional on mothers name being Mary Ann ?

Births Mar 1857    

Burr  Charlotte Ann    Uxbridge  v3a p16
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 08 April 09 18:27 BST (UK) »
I think the Grandparents shown in the 1861 are really SIBLEY - can see them in 1841/51, with a dau called Ann c1840, who may be this death ....

Deaths Jun 1857 

Sibley  Ann     Uxbridge  v3a p15

..... just after Charlotte Ann's birth - cant see a likely Sibley / Burr marriage tho ..... maybe Parish records would help ....

not sure how this tallies with a Mary Ann Burr marrying a John Reynolds in the Uxbridge District in 1862 tho !

also noticed that Charlotte has a Bucks PoB in the 1861 ....

you need that Birth Cert for Charlotte Burr  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 08 April 09 22:49 BST (UK) »
Well, if Charlotte Burr b. 1857 and in 1861 is the same as Charlotte Reynolds b. 1857 and in 1871, her mother (Mary Ann Sibley or Burr?) must have married John Reynolds at some point (post 1857 and pre 1871).

Actually I wonder if one of the two sons shown in 1841 is the father. Jesse Sibley (aged 7 in 1841) may be the one who dies in early 1862 but I can't see him in 1861. :(

Offline m1ldmay4

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 09 April 09 09:47 BST (UK) »
Ok lots of food for thought here. You've all given me lots to research and it's clear I was off track a bit. I'm now ontrack (I think ???) When work stops interfering I'll go checkout all this info and update you. Would be so much easier if I didn't have to work  :(

JoR you didn't answer my question on the Charlotte Ann B. Reynolds entries. Does the B.Reynolds indicate effectively two different surnames??