Author Topic: Patrick Doyle executed 14/3/1921  (Read 26230 times)

Offline seanod

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Doyle executed 14/3/1921
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 03 February 10 14:03 GMT (UK) »
I think the meaning of this is fairly clear:

" The cause at the centre is pure -
the wise plan
Is to keep the circumference pure -
if you can".

I think he is saying that an idea or a movement is still pure and clear close to its point of origin but as it spreads out it becomes compromised and altered. If you can keep the circumference (the points away from the centre) as pure as the centre then that is a good aim. I would suspect he had probably read Yeats's theories of history. Yeats had this elaborate and quite strange idea that history runs in cycles of roughly two thousand years. The Trojan War was the point of origin of one of these cycles and the whole of Roman and Greek civilization was an echo of that event, spreading outwards like ripples (he called them gyres) and getting weaker and weaker, but then there was a new point of origin, that of Jesus, which has governed the last two thousand years. We are due for another - hence the line "and what rough beast, its hour come round at last, slouches towards Bethlehem to be born." As history, it's completely wacky, but at least it gave the world some of Yeats's greatest poetry, and you don't really need to know all that to appreciate his poems!  :)

Offline Private 1st class

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 03 February 10 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Seanod.Many thanks, Have you any idea what this fellow done for a living. I remember see a programe on prisons and the thought behind them and how they have evolved. The high windows so the inmates would have to look up toward their maker. This lad was in deep thinking while in there. Do we have any idea what he done in later years. Private 1st class

Offline gormangenealogy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 05 February 10 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Found this today in my files

Offline johnny_doyle

• RootsChat Senior
  • Genealogy = navigating brick walls........
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 05 February 10 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Niland/Neiland/Neilan/Nyland - Dublin
Doyle - Enniscorthy
McCullen - Coastguards from Drogheda, Co Louth
Shepley - Macclesfield and Wheelock
Clarke - Macclesfield
McDermott - Macclesfield and Dublin
Pender - Dublin
O'Brien - Dublin and Galbally

Offline seanod

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 06 February 10 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Sorry for the delay, folks. I have been occupied with other things. There is a lot of really useful stuff here so thanks and keep it coming. I had a look in my files for the other John Doyle, (ie. not the Seán/John Doyle killed in the Custom House). He died in 1952, and his obituary appeared on the 15th of January in the Irish Independent. He was living in McDowell Ave in Mount Brown at the time. The obit says that he was with 2nd Batt in the Custom House fighting", as well as an attack on a hotel in Dublin. There were about 7-8 letters in the name of the hotel but I can't read it. Any suggestions? I have a note here that he must be one of thirteen children of a Mary Doyle who lived in Fairview but stupidly I haven't written where I got that information from. Does any of this ring any bells with any of you?  :)

Offline sueter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 19 June 10 13:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Obbie,
I was looking up facts on Patrick Doyle to get dates for my family tree.This page came up and I saw your requests for information.Mine is scant but hopefully useful.I noticed some one gave a lot of useful stuff which gave me exactly what I was looking for and so I thank them.Where that person has said Of Louisa and Albert Brock adopting a child,Betty,She was actually her niece.Betty's mother was my granny,Elizabeth Murphy,nee Herbert.She married Michael Carroll in Sept 23rd in 1925 in York.He was in the Green Howards and died at age 41 leaving her with 2 small boys,one of them was my Dad,Matthew Carroll.She came back to Dublin and stayed with her sister,Louisa.She then married Patrick Murphy and had two girls,Louise and Elizabeth (Betty)and they moved to Carlow.Because Betty was sick and had to have hospital treatment,her Aunt Louisa had her to live with them.Even when her mother came back to Dublin where they set up home in Benmaddigan road in Drimnagh,Betty stayed with her Aunt.Betty married Cyril and had three children.Louise married Dave and had one Daughter.Sadly Betty died June 2009 and her sister Louise died six months Later in December 2009.I taped the state funeral when it was televised and have it on vcr I can transfer it to disc if you would like a copy,the relatives give some information about Patrick Doyle and it shows photographs.Also Betty was from Scotland and you can see the family on the 1901 and 1911 census.The father was William herbert and the Mother was Louisa Herbert,1901 they lived in Dorset street and in 1911,in fitzwilliam place nrth.
Best wishes with your search,regards Susan.

Offline obbie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • miska moo samoyed and holly hunter cocker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 19 June 10 13:55 BST (UK) »
thanks so much for the info , and a big hi .
lots of information tryin to figure out whos who !
i wish you good luck in your family tree .
please should you come across info on albert i would be grateful .
i will send you a private message when you have the obligatory 3 messages posted .
goodluck .
 census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Hanrahan dublin - brock limerick dublin - farrington wicklow dublin - fagan dublin wicklow - mescall clare u.s.a - heron herring wales england

Offline obbie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • miska moo samoyed and holly hunter cocker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 19 June 10 16:21 BST (UK) »
knew i had this photo somewhere .
 census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Hanrahan dublin - brock limerick dublin - farrington wicklow dublin - fagan dublin wicklow - mescall clare u.s.a - heron herring wales england

Offline sueter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 22 June 10 13:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Obbie,
This is my third time to try and attach a photo.It  just won't do anything,
How do I attach a photo,many thanks for the one with Louisa and children.
Any tips appreciated,new to this and not a tec head,sorry,
regards Susan