Author Topic: John Stewart & Christy Robertson  (Read 4223 times)

Offline MarilynStewart96

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Stewart & Christy Robertson
« on: Friday 10 April 09 15:09 BST (UK) »
John Stewart was born in 1803 Blair Atholl according to his Death Record in Canada. He married Christy Robertson on November 28 1841 in Dull, Perthshire and I believe I have found her in the 1841 census with her parents Derald (Donald?) and Margaret living in Kinardochy. The marriage record lists John's residence as Tophorese which I believe was on the south shore of Loch Tummel and Christy's residence as Kinardochy. I have found the family in the 1851 census on Foss Farm where John is listed as the Gameskeeper. They emigrated to Canada about 1859 and settled at White Lake, Renfrew County, Ontario. Their children were Margaret (1842), James (1844), Isabella (1846), Catherine (1848), Donald Robertson (1850), John George (1854) and Robert Menzies (1857) all born in Dull, Perthshire and Alexander George was born in 1860 after emigrating to Canada.
I have been unable to decipher John's parentage. If they followed tradition, I believe the parents may have been James and Isabella. So far, I have been unable to definitively locate him in the earlier census records. Any help or hints to assist in doing so would be appreciated.

Offline shirl100

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John Stewart & Christy Robertson
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 April 09 15:45 BST (UK) »
There are quite a few possibles on IGI, but this parish record extract  shows the parents you thought might be the ones

John Stewart b 16 Oct 1801 bap 18 Oct 1801 Blair Atholl parents James Stewart & Isobel Stewart

Shirl
North,Noble,Harrison,Seller - North Riding Yorks parishes
Brown,Brooks,Watson - Belper/Duffield Derbys
Hole - Ashover Derbys
Webb, Flavell, Mason - Staffs (mainly Sedgley)
Bevan,Beamond - Chirbury Shropshire
Longridge - Northumberland/Durham
Freeman - Hampshire, Oxfordshire,Sussex
Smith - Derbyshire and Yorkshire
Whitehead - Yorkshire
Morris - St Pancras Yorkshire etc

Offline Throth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 February 11 11:33 GMT (UK) »
If your previous reply is correct then we have the following information about your family in Blair Atholl, Scotland

John Stewart, son of James Stewart and Isabel Stewart in Balintochich b 16 Oct 1801.
He is the 4th child in a family of 7.
Between 1804 and 1807 the family moved from Balintochich to Croftdouglas (not very far) where the last two children were born.  After that we have no trace of the family.
(details are on www.borenich.co.uk)  Just go to the index and select Balintochich / stewart births.

James was living at Croftcarnach 6th July 1792 when he married Isabel Stewart of Uchdnanetaig.  Croftcarnach was  half a mile to the south of Balintochich, Uchdnanetaig was even closer. There is a Gazetteer and maps on the web-site and we have pictures of the ruins of Balintochich.

James was the 5th child of Alexander Stewart of Croftcarnach and Christian Stewart

Hope that this of use.  We are tracing a first cousin who emigrated to Beckwith township, Ontario at present.

Throth (www.borenich.co.uk)

Offline MarilynStewart96

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 January 12 19:52 GMT (UK) »
THROTH:
I have not been back to this site for a long time and just got your message. Thank you so much for the information. I am really struggling with this website and spent quite some time trying to figure out how to reply/post back to you. I have some info on the line of Stewart's in Beckwith Township and can actually put you in touch with some descendants - might take me a bit of time as I would need to get the contact info from someone.
Alexander Stewart and Margaret Robertson had a son John who married Elizabeth Douglass. John and Margaret are buried in White Lake. Their son John and Elizabeth are the beginning of what is known here as the Waba Stewart's.
When I first started researching our Stewart's several years ago and went to White Lake, I was told there were several Stewart lines. There is the Archibald Stewart line that came from Argyll, the Waba Stewart's (yours), the Brandy Creek Stewart's (mine) and there is also a line of Stewart's descended from Allan Stewart who was also from Perthshire.
I have long believed that some of the different lines from Perthshire were connected back in Scotland, especially the Brandy Creek and Waba Stewart's.

Offline Shelley Stewart Leonard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 21:00 BST (UK) »
John Stewart was my 2nd GGrandfather.  He along with his wife Christina Robertson and children emigrated to Canada July 1, 1857 on the ship Inkerman from Greenock, Scotland.  His parents were James and Isabel.  James father was Alexander Stewart 1722, mother was Christian 1724.  Alexander's parents were John 1700 & Christian (popular name ;-0) I believe his father was John 1652 (of Duntanlich) but not 100% sure.  Cant seem to find anything prior to that though.

Offline Throth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 22:46 BST (UK) »
Hi, Are you related to Marilyn?  She was over here in Perthshire a couple of years ago and was very excited to visit where her ancestors had been living.

Have you read the our web-page on this family?

http://www.borenich.co.uk/Ross_Document/Stewart_Fossgamekeeper.html

We would be very interested in check whether we have facts correct or not.  We take the family back to the marriage of Alexander Stewart and Christian Stewart, but no further back.  Do you have a family bible, or letters?

Throth

Offline Shelley Stewart Leonard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 23:08 BST (UK) »
No I don't know Marilyn.

Yes, I have read the Borenich web page, it was really helpful. I have all my info on Ancestery.com you wan to check it.

No family bible, I just have the passenger contract ticket for John and his family, which is pretty cool.
So do you know if Alexander was and officer in the Atholle Brigade of Duntanlich?

My father, Donald James Alexander Stewart, was born in Sask. Canada it was his grandfather.

Do you live in Perthshire?