Author Topic: brown family  (Read 2120 times)

Offline eda

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
brown family
« on: Friday 10 April 09 19:38 BST (UK) »
     hello a message for citizen smith  do you have any browns in you list for gypseys  in birkenhead  ,my husbands   great grandfather  his name was william brown  in his picture he wears an earing in both ears  . he was  a navvy in the 1891 census . we can not find any marriage records  he was listed as married to elizabeth  and we have found her on the 1881 census living in birkenhead  we know her maiden name was dwyer ,  we think we have found him as a lodger in 1881 near manchester on previous census he has given several birthplaces  the first being  cross green shropshire  the second newport  shropshire and the third birkenhead  . we think he was born around 1861  .  they travelled around   working on the railway lines  . thanks eda
heywood Lancashire  stubbs ,macclesfeild cheshire
winstanley ,  brown, gatley ,mitchel ( milligan/mulligan Blackburn Prescot prestwich Mayo and swineford area )dwyer, Harrison birkenhead and ireland

Offline RomanyRoser

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: brown family
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 April 09 00:15 BST (UK) »
Please contact me via my Web Page. I have several Browns but wouldn't know which is yours. It is a free service-Roser.
My Web Site is http://www.geocities.com/avonvalleycollection/

Offline CitizenSmith

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: brown family
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 April 09 13:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Eda

Sorry - I don't have any references to the name Brown associated with the Birkenhead Gypsies.

Many of the community who lived there in the mid- to late-19th century had origins in the eastern counties - Norfolk/Suffolk/Essex. In those counties they did travel with/intermarry with some Browns - but as far as I'm aware no Browns went with them to Cheshire/Lancashire.

Sharon

Smith - East Anglia & Lancashire
Taylor - East Anglia
Draper
Hope
Shaw
Gray
Boswell
Lovell
Robinson
Chilcott
All Blackpool Gypsies
"Royal Epping Forest Gypsies": ball-giving group
"Borrow's Gypsies": the people that the novelist George Borrow (1803-1881) knew and wrote about