Author Topic: Howick Family, Sussex  (Read 1575 times)

Offline Trish Salter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Howick Family, Sussex
« on: Saturday 19 February 05 03:13 GMT (UK) »
I am seeking information on the Howick family, especially around 1900 - 1906.  I know Mary Eleanor Howick married Ernest Tidd in Midhurst in December 03 and four children were born of that marriage, the two eldest in Midhurst.  Would appreciate any clues.  Mary Howick is my grandmother who died many years before I was born.
Trish Salter

Offline Clazy2000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Howick Family, Sussex
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 February 05 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish
Can you supply any other info.?
I have found a Mary Howick from Eastbourne b.1881
Her father's name was John and her mother was Eleanor.Looks promising!
Have you got a wedding cert.for her that would give father's name?
If this is the correct one it might be worth checking www.familysearch.org site for 1881 census and looking under mother or fathers name just in case she wasn't born by date of census, or a free search on BMD site.
Get back if I can be of any more help.
Regards
Gill
Adams;Clackson;Cottle;Dunk;Gwatkin;Woodcock

Offline Trish Salter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 February 05 04:44 GMT (UK) »
Gill - so many thanks for the information.  Unfortunately I don't have any documents - my starting point was when I learned the name of my grandmother Mary Howick who married Ernest Tidd in Midhurst in 1903.  Up until then I had never known her name.  My dad, Cecil Tidd died aged 42, I was then 11 years of age and his parents had died before I was born.  Moving to Australia in 1963 left with me with no documentation. 
Naturally I am now very keen to learn all I can. 
I think you have the right Mary Howick and if you can "dig" up any further information would be absolutely delighted.  In the meantime, I will plod on. 
From information gathered, it appears she moved to Willesden aged about 20.  That is actually where my mother, Mary Middleton and father Cecil Tidd married and he worked for some time.
Will keep going and thanks again - look forward to anything new.  Warmest regards  Trish Salter

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 February 05 09:31 GMT (UK) »
Do take care not to muddle Easebourne and Eastbourne - easily done but they are miles apart!
Andrea

Offline Clazy2000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 February 05 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Many apologies for that I've been back to census image and it is Easebourne, the 'e' is sort of looped but if I had looked further I would have seen Midhurst which as you say is miles away.
Gill
Adams;Clackson;Cottle;Dunk;Gwatkin;Woodcock