Author Topic: presbyterian church branton northumberland  (Read 21046 times)

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: presbyterian church branton northumberland
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 11 May 11 21:19 BST (UK) »
I can see an s being seen as an e and visa versa.  I do believe these transcripts were done by local folks though unlike whoever did the transcripts of the census ie Northd being read as North Dakota and all those hundreds of thousands with the last name "Do"

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Norman583

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 29 October 11 21:18 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm trying to find the baptism of my 3xgr grandfather Walter Ballantyne born Northumberland circa 1800. Censuses show his birth in Elsdon and Kirkwhelpington.  Most likely trace so far is on familysearch which shows a Walter Ballantyne born 1798 to William and Sarah baptised in Branton Presbyterian. Do you have access to the details?

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 29 October 11 23:38 BST (UK) »
I am away from my home and transcripts so will not be able to look up until next week. 

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb

Offline jora

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 30 October 11 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Baptisms in the Branton Presbyterian register - Walter son of William and Sarah Ballantine was born at Titlington Mount, parish of Eglingham, 11 September 1798, baptised 27 September.

Other children of Walter and Sarah are:-
Margaret born at Eglingham 11 February 1786
David born at Eglingham Moor 9 January 1788
Betty born at Shawdon Woodhouse 3 September 1789
Jane also born at Shawdon Woodhouse 15 October 1791
Sarah born at Brandon Whitehouse 15 January 1796.

Offline meandcupcake

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 12 April 12 22:01 BST (UK) »
2zpool and fullback

Could you clarify this:  I am researching the John Crisp and Mary Elliot family.  According to the 1841 and 51 census at Eglingham village, John Crisp would be born in abt 1782.  The christenings for his children Mary, Ann, Hannah, Adam, etc match up with the census, but William b 1792?  He must belong to another family.  Also, can you confirm that John Crisp was a shepherd at Hareup?  Perhaps he is a brother to James Crisp the shepherd.

Lynne
Smith, Webster, Cruickshank of Aberdeenshire<br />Smith, Legg of Banffshire<br />Smith, Corrie, Thomson, Lockerby of Dumfriesshire

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 13 April 12 02:04 BST (UK) »
It doesn't say anything about occupation:

William Crisp born 8 July 1792, baptised 7 Aug 1792 son of John and Mary of Linhouses

There is a George Crisp having children baptised in the early 1800's of Lilburn South Steads

Here is a fuller baptism of a child in 1810:

Mary Chrisp born 25 Jul 1810 baptised 9 Aug 1810 first daur of John Chrisp, shepard of Hareup, native of Wooler by his wife Mary Elliott, native of Greenside Hill, Ingram parish, the last child I have ot this couple was in 1833.

Then to add confusion:  John Crisp born 25 Sep 1807, baptised --no date--First son of John Crisp, native of Wooler, by his wife Isabel Lee, native Eglingham parish  (Isabel Crisp buried 2 May 1808, wife of John Crisp, Shepard, Hareup, age 31)

There two Crisp brothers--John and James--baptised in Warenford Presbyterian:

John Crisp born 5 Aug 1780, baptised 8 Aug 1780 son of Thomas Chrisp in Wandylaw, parish of Ellingham

James Crisp born 24 Aug 1782, baptised 26 Aug 1782 son of Thomas Chrisp in Wandylaw, parish of Ellingham

Janis

Offline meandcupcake

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 13 April 12 18:11 BST (UK) »
Janis

Thank you for your input.  It looks like John Crisp married Mary Elliot shortly after the death of his first wife Isabel Lee.  Could I trouble you to check if Adam Crisp chr 1819 is recorded as John's 2nd son?   That would prove the connection.  The line I'm following comes through John's son William born about 1830.  There is no christening record for a William, but he is listed in the 1841 census as being between Jane and Henry.  There is a John chr Dec 1829, but he doesn't appear in the census.  So I'm concluding that he is named John William, or William John.
As far as the christenings for James and John, sons of Thomas in Wandlaw, this is a possibility.  The 1851 census shows John Crisp as being born at Chillingham, which isn't too far from Wandlaw and Warenford.  I guess I'm stuck at this point.  But I greatly appreciate your help.

Lynne
Smith, Webster, Cruickshank of Aberdeenshire<br />Smith, Legg of Banffshire<br />Smith, Corrie, Thomson, Lockerby of Dumfriesshire

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 13 April 12 20:53 BST (UK) »
Actually I have seen records where they counted the children oddly-like counting how many sons the father had but not always to that wife.  The record for Adam says 3rd son born 31 Oct and baptised 8 Nov

Janis

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 15 April 12 20:38 BST (UK) »
In 1851 census, Mary Crisp, wife of John, is down as born Greenside Hill. Same place as on the baptism of daughter Mary in 1810, so pretty nailed on that they are the same couple.

The baptism of Johns first son (date blank in the Branton register) was at Eglingham St. Maurice.

22 Nov 1807. John, son of John and Isabel Crisp. Shepherd, of Hareup.

The burial of Isabel Crisp, 1808, was also at Eglingham St.Maurice.

Alan.
Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins