Author Topic: 1911 help needed - can't find family  (Read 750 times)

Offline jacdee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
1911 help needed - can't find family
« on: Saturday 11 April 09 14:22 BST (UK) »
Hi
I was wondering if anyone out there could help me search the 1911 census? I've spent the last two days trying to find my granddad and his mother to no avail, though I know they should be there. I think it might be a case of me looking but not seeing! So I hope a fresh pair of eyes may be more successful. Fingers crossed.

The details are -
Ralph Pattison Crowther b.1910 Amble, Northumberland,
His mother - Jane Ann Crowther b.1880 Durham
There is a chance his older sister is with them - Annie Mcleod Crowther b.1900 Amble, Northumberland.

I have found the dad (Henry Crowther b.1880) and the other son (Joseph Henry Crowther b.1902) living in Amble with Henry's mother and two brothers. Henry lists himself as married and he has helpfully filled in the information regarding children to say that he has three living, so Ralph and Annie should be out there somewhere. I can't really understand why they aren't all together.
From what I know about the family, I would expect to find Ralph in Northumberland, but I'm keeping an open mind!

Were some of the census returns damaged? I was wondering whether some were missing from the collection - unable to be transcribed - and thats why I can't find them?

Many thanks in advance for any help...I'm really stuck!

Jacqui
Crowther, Mccloud/mcleod, Harrison, Hawthorn, Hicks, Pattison, Shrimpton
This information is Crown Copyright, from http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treelover

• I have turned off all email notifications
  • --
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1911 help needed - can't find family
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 April 09 14:55 BST (UK) »
Hi

It is still very difficult to search the 1911 and you have to pay for every search result.  So I don't think anybody will be able to help you.

Up to a few months ago,  none of us could see the 1911 census, but in most cases people have managed to trace their family back regardless, I myself cannot find my grandmother even though I know which area she was living in and who with.

Could you order his parents marriage certificate instead and work back from there?

Henry Crowther married Jane McCloud  June 1899 Registered Alnwick  Volume 10b Pg 815

Joan

Joan

Offline jacdee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 April 09 15:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your quick reply.
The Crowther line is proving difficult ot trace, and I have managed to work backwards to 1871 with them.
The marriage ref you provided is the right one.
I am aware that to look at search results will use up credits, and I really wasn't meaning for people to do that. I was just hoping that someone may be able to search and scan through the results - something may jump out at them and then they can point me in the right direction. I've tried searching with just the name Ralph, with and without location, with and without birth year. I've searched with just the surname, I've searched using Jane. I've attempted to do wildcard searches, but not sure if i'm doing that right. I just thought someone with a bit more experience might have some other ideas for me to try!

Jacqui

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 April 09 15:28 BST (UK) »
Well I've been trying too, it costs nothing to search, but nothing is jumping out yet.  Having a similar problem with my gt.grandmother  ::)

Maybe they were visiting relatives somewhere, will keep looking

Barbara  :)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline jacdee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 April 09 19:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks for taking the time to look.
I've tried looking for them under the name McCloud, as that was Jane's maiden name. I've managed to locate her mother and siblings, but Jane herself (with children Ralph and Annie) wasn't with them.
I've noticed a few people are struggling to find ancestors on the 1911, so maybe alot of them didn't fill it in?
Who knows!

Jacqui