Author Topic: Welshpool and Ceffnllys enquiry: boatbuilding  (Read 4644 times)

Offline AlexStewart

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Welshpool and Ceffnllys enquiry: boatbuilding
« on: Monday 13 April 09 10:05 BST (UK) »
I have a query about a John Henry Ward who was born in Runcorn, Cheshire, but lived in 1881 in Salop Road, Welshpool with his family and is described as a boatbuilder. I believe the house was adjoining The Grapes Inn and the Bank house. Last Tuesday I saw Sussex House dated 1835 between the two above. I think that was the house but I am not certain. It is also referred to as number 17, and may well have received the Sussex House name later. Can anyone throw any light on this and on boat building around Welshpool at that time, or suggest where I could find such information from a local source.
In 1891 John Henry and his family are found in Ceffnllys, the ancient community near and well before the creation of Llandrindrod Wells in the 1800s. Can anyone throw any light on boat building in that region?
Again I was there on Tuesday but found little evidence of Ceffnllys. The address in 1891 was 1 North Crescent, but no-one knew where that was.
Any helpful material on the above queries would be most welcome and appreciated.
Alex
Stewart:Donegal
Babington: Donegal and Londonderry
Patton:Donegal

Offline kmo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Welshpool and Ceffnllys enquiry: boatbuilding
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 April 09 13:21 BST (UK) »
Hi
In this instance I think ,Cefnllys is the name of the parish that Llandrindod was situated in.
North Crescent seems to have only had three houses in it and doesn't seem to exist on any modern map, although there is a South crescent which may help with finding it's location.

Offline AlexStewart

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 April 09 14:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks. I was told of the area of South Crescent but it was a considerable distance from the area of Ceffnylls. I understand a church remains but I saw no sign of it when I drove to the end of Ceffnylls Lane.
Alex

Offline keigcf

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 August 09 11:38 BST (UK) »
There is a little church, you walk down a track to it. If your looking on a map, go out of Llandrindod past cefnlys school, about 1/2 way to penybont the church is on your left

Offline AlexStewart

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 August 09 13:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the directions to the church.  I was near there last March, but now I am a long way from it. When I am next in the area I will find that church.
I suspect the old houses of North Crescent, including number 1, have gone.

Offline keigcf

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 08 August 09 13:53 BST (UK) »
North Crescent doesn't ring any bells with me I must admit. Logically looking at it, North Crescent must have been where Broadway is now, linking South crescent and Cefnlys school...