Author Topic: Christopher OSBORNE b about 1860  (Read 3929 times)

Offline GayleSehpherd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Christopher OSBORNE b about 1860
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 15 April 09 07:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks ever so much for the info. My husband and I have just come home to Perth from a 2 year trip around Australia. One of my favourite places was Burra. I just loved all the history there and the old buildings that have been incredibly well kept. We went to the Cornish Miners settlement and also spent a lot of time just driving around looking at all the history there. I wish I had of known then that my long losts had lived there. South Australia has just so much history for me and I guest that's why I love it so much.
Thanks again
Gayle

Offline Lisa D'arne Harris

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Christopher OSBORNE b about 1860
« Reply #10 on: Friday 19 June 20 04:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Gayle,
Mary Rowe and Charles Poole are my 3rd Great Grandparents, they were married in Cornwall and later Immigrated to Burra, South Australia with Mary's parents Nathaniel and Elizabeth and siblings on the ship "Standard" in 1854. Some of the family both Poole and Rowe must have moved onto Broken Hill as their son Richard Edward Poole married Muriel (Mary) Elizabeth Hoare and then they eventually made their way over to Fremantle and Kalgoorlie. We too drove into Burra years ago thinking what a gorgeous place, we only stayed the night but wished we could have stayed longer. I was researching the Poole and Rowe side of the family back then and had hit a brick wall and had know idea of the Burra connection. There was something about the town and the feeling I got when we were there, we both said we need to come back one day but had know idea why. about two weeks after we arrived home I received an email from a family history place in Adelaide saying that Charles had traveled with the Rowe family to Burra. very spooky. I would love to know more about them but haven't had time.

Does anyone know if there is a registry for where they lived at the time between 1854-1880s? or a registry for the mining companies at all?

I still haven't worked out how Richard and Mary came to fremantle, the Aunties have said by boat to Freo then to Kalgoorlie but a lot went inland aswell.