Author Topic: Question about marriages in parish registers  (Read 795 times)

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Question about marriages in parish registers
« on: Tuesday 14 April 09 19:28 BST (UK) »
I followed up a hunch (no more than that really) about an 1820s marriage entry on IGI, hoping that there might be some reference in the full PR entry to Gypsies, travellers or similar.  But there wasn't - just the conventional "bachelor/spinster of this parish".  So I'm none the wiser really.  :-\

So my question is, in people's experience, have you found any marriages where you know the parties were travellers, but they weren't described as such in the PR?
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Question about marriages in parish registers
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 April 09 12:30 BST (UK) »
So my question is, in people's experience, have you found any marriages where you know the parties were travellers, but they weren't described as such in the PR?

Yes, I have seen many entries where there is nothing apart from the names and perhaps the names of witnesses which suggest the persons married were travellers.  Sometimes you may find the word "sojourner" ie. temporary resident which could, of course, apply to travellers and non-travellers but more often than not there is nothing pre 1837 and  the start of civil registration.

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Question about marriages in parish registers
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 April 09 12:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that, I was unwilling to discard it completely as one of the witnesses turns out to have a name which occurs in the family too.  I think you only had to be in the parish for three weeks to qualify as "otp", so it's not too much of a stretch then.  I'll let it stay in the "maybe" file for now then!  ;D
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.