Author Topic: LOWTHER family  (Read 5080 times)

Offline ferret1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
LOWTHER family
« on: Saturday 19 February 05 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am researching the LOWTHER family and have got back to JAMES LOWTHER who was born in c. 1767 in OUNDLE.

GEORGE, James' son moved to Cambridgeshire in about 1824 and the family stayed there in the Cambridge and Ely areas.

Ferret1
CARR, HARCOURT, JERMY, REEDER, SPENCER, WATERS, BOYS, DOUGHTY - NFK
CHILTON, COOPER, CRAMPTON, LEE/S, SMEDLEY, SHARPE - NTTS
COOPER, DENNIS, JENNINGS, KNIGHTS, LOWTHER,   WALSHAM - CAMBS
FISHER, BULL, GARROOD, MARRIOTT, PIPE - SFK,
HOLT, MANNERS, RUSSEL/L, BERRIDGE - LINCS
LOWTHER - NORTHANTS
TYRWHIT - ANY
WHICHCOT/E - ANY
BERRIDGE - RUTLAND
BOYS - KENT

Offline wendover

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: LOWTHER family
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 October 16 18:18 BST (UK) »
Hello. I, too am researching this branch of the Lowther family. My great grandmother was Susannah Lowther, daughter of George Lowther. She had many brothers and sisters. I think she met my great grandfather James Thompson when she was in service as he came from Buckinghamshire, where he was a baker. They settled there and they had nine children, the youngest being my grandfather Harry Charles Thompson, also a baker. It would be great if we could exchange information. George Lowther was born in Oundle, Northamptonshire in 1799 and died in Ely, Cambridgeshire in 1862. He was a plumber. Yours sincerely Sarah.

Offline wendover

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 19:06 BST (UK) »
My great Grandmother was Susannah Lowther the daughter of George Lowther and Ann Jennings.
She met my great grand father James Thompson while in service in London. They married in London but then lived in Wendover, Buckinghamshire where he was a baker. They had seven children, many of whom I knew. My grandfather Harry Charles was their youngest child. I have more information about the Lowthers but I am missing a section I had previously researched, which has dissapeared off my "ancestry" records. The section I am missing is about the Lowthers in Ely when part of the family were living in a property associated with the catherdral. I am reall frustrated at losing this, so if anyone can fill me in I would be most grateful. Sarah.

Offline Lumastar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 August 19 21:34 BST (UK) »
Hi sarah,
I have been away from my genealogy research for a while but I am descended from the Ely branch of the lowther family. My great grandmother was Eliza Ann Lowther. She died when my grandmother was very young but I often heard stories about Aunt Lillian. I found her house in Ely at the back of the cathedral. I have further information on this part of the family if you would still be interested.
Julia