Author Topic: WHAT REGT : RANK : WAR RECORD ?  (Read 17587 times)

Offline Arquebus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: WHAT REGT : RANK : WAR RECORD ?
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 23 February 05 22:37 GMT (UK) »
The trouble is, the diagonal element at top left is too thick for a machine gun barrel, it's more like a rifle barrel.....and it isn't a scroll at the bottom....God knows what it is.

Here is Percy's badge, played with.....you have a go.....I've gone through about 500 images now!

Al.
ENFIELD...Colchester, DEARY & DIX...Norfolk & Oz, SLOLEY / SYMONS...Fremington Devon, BAKER...Deopham Norfolk, BANTACK...Ixworth, ALLISON...Suffolk / ALLISTON / ELLISTON/E...North East Essex, HOW /HOWE...North East Essex, SWALES..York / Middlesboro,METCALFE...York,  WOODS / MOLLETT / GREEN....Norwich, BRATTY...N.Ireland (Derry and Belfast), MORGAN...Bicknor / Coleford Glos. & Middlesboro. FENN / WENDEN / ROOKARD....North East Essex. SNOW...Hampstead & Devon. BULL...Colchester.

Offline mcfc1923

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 23 February 05 23:48 GMT (UK) »
as percy thought, a possible NZ Rifles badge ?, from what i have seen from both forums, i think i have to go with you on this one Al.

jim
WARBURTON, SHELTON, HENDREN, HENDERSON.

Offline percy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Be Just and Fear Not
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 24 February 05 17:40 GMT (UK) »

Hi Alan & Jim,

Have had trouble with my computer to-day.

Attached, I hope, is another attempt at Sydney in uniform , and also a pic of an NZ Rifles badge.

Looking carefully at Sydney's  right-hand facing collar badge, I really believe I see the crossed rifles of the NZ badge --- and conclude that Alan was right all along.

I have heard nothing yet from the MZDF Personnel Archives , but will let you know if they come up with anything..

Will try to port the Sth. Africa snap you mention in a post to follow this.

regards and thanks,  Percy
HEWITT :  ROSA : (FULLER)SANDYS  :

Offline percy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Be Just and Fear Not
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 24 February 05 17:47 GMT (UK) »

Here below -- I hope -- the picture I think you asked for of Sydney in South Africa  at Port Shepstone, Natal in 1904.

I cannot make out which of the two men is Sydney, and he did not indicate which  on the Picture Post-card -- dated 1904.

Sidney was in the Police  in the UK in 1898 -- I believe at St. Ives Huntingdon.  I do not know WHAT he did in South Africa.

Percy

Offline mcfc1923

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 24 February 05 19:42 GMT (UK) »
I have to aggre with you there percy, full marks to Alan.
great photo from 1904, i dare not say which one i think is sydney, i'll leave that to Alan ;)

jim

Offline mcfc1923

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 24 February 05 19:44 GMT (UK) »
I have to aggre with you there percy, full marks to Alan.
great photo from 1904, i dare not say which one i think is sydney, i'll leave that to Alan ;)

jim

Offline percy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Be Just and Fear Not
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 04 March 05 16:27 GMT (UK) »

My Thanks to everyone who read and replied to this one.

It turns out SYDNEY  was a SERGEANT in the NEW ZEALAND ARMY in WW I  on active service on the Continent.

I now have his Service number, but not yet his Regiment.  When I have that I'll Post it to clear up the Badge question.

The New Zealand Defence Force personnel Department are sending me a copy of his file.    He survived the War but -- unsuprisingly -- has since died.

Thanks again everyone --- especially  my pal Al

Percy

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 04 March 05 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Glad to hear you got a result...well done....have enjoyed following this 'mystery' as it has been a welcome break from the many mysteries in my own lines  ;D.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Guinevere

• RootsChat Extra
  • Save the Earth, its the only planet with chocolate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 05 April 05 14:27 BST (UK) »
Wow,Percy,what beautiful photographs,its so nice to see these old pics still survive so well,
I cant help you I'm afraid I'm struggling trying to identify my own family pics,but just wanted to say how very much i enjoyed the photos.Thank you.Love Ann.xx :) ;)
DUBBER,in  U.K,all counties,especially Hampshire,but  worldwide interests in all Dubber surnames.
CRITCHLOW,especially from Staffordshire.
SWORN,from Staffordshire areas,and surrounding.
COLLINS.From Hampshire,especially portsmouth and surrounding areas

http://www.communigate.co.uk/hants/dubbersurname/index.phtml

Any-one who thinks sun-shine is happiness,has never danced in the rain!.