Author Topic: WHAT REGT : RANK : WAR RECORD ?  (Read 17586 times)

Offline percy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Be Just and Fear Not
    • View Profile
Re: WHAT REGT : RANK : WAR RECORD ?
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 11 May 05 13:28 BST (UK) »

To all those who were kind enough to try to help  identify SYDNEY R.F. SANDYS rank and regiment etc.,

I promised to POST the results sent to me by the New Zealand Defence Dept --- which I have at last received.

From the 1901 UK Census and a South African Postcard sent by Sydney (dated 1904) it is clear that Sydney went to South Africa after Census 1901 and before 1904.  While in South Africa he contracted Malaria.

His New Zealand military record shows that he married a Miss M. Grieves in South Africa on 22nd December 1906 ----- shortly thereafter emigrating to New Zealand, where his first son was born (registered Auckland) 22nd September 1907.  Second son's birth registered Auckland N.Z. June 1910

He prospered there and at the time of enlisting "For the duration" was 'Works Manager' of a major firm.

Promoted L/cpl, Cpl. then Sergeant, he was posted to the UK, and sent to France.   

Following the summer  1917 home leave on which the picture I 'Posted' of him  was taken, he reverted to Private "At his own request", and was sent back to France with 'A' Company, The 4th Reserve Battalion, Auckland Infantry Regiment.

He was again promoted L/Cpl, then Cpl --- but again reverted to the ranks "At his own request", before being wounded in action on 13th September 1918 sufficiently severely to be hospitalized,and receive treatment until 20 October 1919;  shipped back to New Zealand and invalided out in 1919 as a L/Cpl once again.

By Jan 1932 he had recovered sufficiently to have set up a Brewery business, built himself a house and, according to a later 1930's N.Z. Newspaper article, take ship on a six month 'buying trip' with one of his sons, during which they intended to do some big game hunting.

Sydney lived to be 72 and died on 7th April 1951 at Auckland, New Zealand.

Once again, my sincere thanks to everyone ------- especially to my pal AL.

Percy.
HEWITT :  ROSA : (FULLER)SANDYS  :

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 11 May 05 19:04 BST (UK) »
Hello Percy - just had to say I have been following the story of Sydney Sandys with great interest.

Thank you for posting his 'potted' history.  I'm so pleased that you were able to put all the pieces of the puzzle together and how lovely to be able to tell future generations his story - thats one man who won't remain just 'someone' in an old photograph...
Suey
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 15 June 05 06:17 BST (UK) »
nell,your right about the date being wrong,they didnt wear collar badges till after the war,manmack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.