Author Topic: Murphys from Armagh  (Read 6428 times)

Offline wild_thistle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Murphys from Armagh
« on: Friday 17 April 09 02:57 BST (UK) »
Hi
Was wondering if some kind soul can help me. I have been looking for my Grandmothers family on my mothers side. Her name was Gertrude Murphy B: 3 Jan 1907 in Kilnasaggart, Co. Armagh. Her parents were Michael Murphy and Rose(nee Murphy).
I can find no record of either one of them or even my grandmother Gertride.

A couple of posts replied to me have told me no place exists...Kilnasaggart. My uncle has confirmed she was from there.
Any advice please
Many thanks
maclennan harris/ross & cromarty
morrison, macdonald,mackinnon in harris
kane in longford,ireland
murphy

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Murphys from Armagh
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 April 09 08:20 BST (UK) »
Information from your other thread has explained where Kinasaggart, Co. Armagh is located.
Can anyone tell me where KILNASAGGART in Ireland is. I know it is n the North.

Kilnasaggart (Cill na Sagart "church of the priests") is in south Armagh.  The area is reknowned for its Standing Stone. There's a Kilnasaggart Road near Forkhill in the area covered by the Newry and Mourne District Council.

Kilnasaggart is mostly in Jonesborough in County Armagh, I'd say a part of it is also in County Louth. The Kilnasaggart Road runs through Regina Park in Jonesborough, and on to Moyry Castle. The road is sometimes known as the 'old road' locally.
Jonesborough is in the Parish of Dromintee/Drumintee and there are plenty of different Murphy families in this area. You'll find a lot of Murphy's on Dernaroy Road in Dromintee.

Kilnasaggart is a sub-townland division spanning the townlands of Edenappa and Carrickbroad in the extreme south of County Armagh, smack in the middle of the Gap of the North.

I am so glad to know that Kilnasaggart does indeed exist.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 April 09 08:23 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   From Emerald Ancestors:-

Michael Murphy married Rose Murphy in Forkhill R.C. Church, Newry, Co. Armagh on 7 Feb 1885.

I would suspect that there are more children but cannot find any.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline wild_thistle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 April 09 10:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Kingskerswell
Thank you so much for providing that information. How does the emerald site work. Is it pay per veiw and how long does the credits last for etc.
Kind regards
Catherine
kane in longford,ireland
murphy

Offline wild_thistle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Murphys from Forkhill
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 April 09 10:50 BST (UK) »
Hi
I,ve recently discovered that my Murphys are from Forkhill. I found one family on the Griffiths Valuation and I'm sure this is them.I already posted under Murphys from Armagh.
I have two lots of Murphys to find. Can anyone tell me the link the Murphys have with Forkhill and have they lived there for long.
Cheers
Catherine
kane in longford,ireland
murphy

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 April 09 11:05 BST (UK) »
Catherine,
               Emerald Ancestors is a subscription site. Unsure of lengths of time available as my children get me an annual subscription.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline christinac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 23:28 BST (UK) »
 Hello Katherine, I having being trying to contact you for over a week now. I am a distant relative. Your Grandmother Gertrude was a half sister of my Great grandmother Bridget. I have only really got to grips with this side of the family recently. My mum's dad Michael Murphy was only a boy when his dad died and he was sent to live with his uncle. His mother bridget later remarried she had two large families and so Iwas busy searching details on them. However on a recent visit to Groni and then Proni in Belfast I have been able to catch up on the older generation. Was your mum Sheila? DO you now there is a Kathleen looking for you on the internet somewhere? Gertrude is on the 1911 census. She lived with her dad Michael and her mum Rose in 43 Edenappa Jonesborough Co. Armagh. I can send you more details on all the family but if you just check the irish 1911 census online you will find them. The 1901 census is due online in July I know this will not tell you more about Gertrude but her dad Michael is a widower on it and lives in the same house with his first family including bridget my great granny. I hope you are still on here.
 Christina

Offline Maria Mccoy

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 November 19 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi I'm trying to trace my Mother's family. She was born in Daisy Hill Hospital on 12/11/1938. Her mother was called Christina Murphy her family were from Joneborough. Christina was believed to have moved to Liverpool after the birth of my mammy.There is no father named on the Birth Certificate but was believed to be Francis  Loy (Loye).
My mammy was adopted by Edith Maria Boyle and her husband Alfie Boyle. They lived in Newtown Hamilton.

Offline christinac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 05 November 19 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maria, delighted to hear from you!!
My grandfather Michael Murphy and your Granny Christina (Tenie Loye Murphy) were brother and sister. I was called after my mother also Christina Murphy!

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.