Author Topic: Norfolk 1953 Floods  (Read 3343 times)

Offline juliepk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Norfolk 1953 Floods
« on: Friday 17 April 09 14:03 BST (UK) »
I'm wondering if anyone may know of Patricia , Jennifer or Susanne Papworth. The three girls died in the floods. Their sister Janet survived the floods and lived for a while with a family called Turner in Hunstanton. Sadly, Janet is now deceased. I am their half sister and the only remaining member of the family. I would love to hear from anyone who might have any info. Their mother was Phyllis Papworth and their father was Frederick Papworth.

Many thanks
juliepk

Offline Blue-Spirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Researching My Family in Norfolk.
Barker-Barnard-Brooks-Bush.
Eagling-Fincham-Goddard-Gooch.
Hammond-Johnson-Long.
Musk-Mickleborough/Mickleburgh.
Oakley- Parker-Potter-Smith-Wright...

Offline juliepk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Norfolk 1953 Floods
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 April 09 14:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the links. I'll give them a try.

Offline HYLAND

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 July 09 19:41 BST (UK) »
hello,my mother was phylis,s older sister elsie who lived in hunstanton untill she died in 1990.my mother often talked about the floods to me although i was not born untill 1958.

Offline juliepk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 July 09 22:57 BST (UK) »
Hi
Great to hear from you. I made contact with Phyllis' sister, Hilda in 2006. I didn't know there was another sister. Do you have any info re Phyllis and the girls? Is there any chance you might have photos of them? I didn't know of Phyllis and the girls until after my father died in 2004 - it was a huge shock. I now want to try and find out as much as I can about the family I missed out on knowing. I would really appreciate anything you could tell me.
Regards
Julie

Offline HYLAND

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 July 09 19:08 BST (UK) »
hi julie,it was so nice to hear from you.sadly hilda died last year.phyliss had other family my mum elsie who was her older sister june a younger sister who has been dead some years a brother peter who also died last year and an older brother steve who i believe is still alive and living near wisbeach.as i was not born at the time of the floods i only know what my mother told me.janet lived with mr and mrs turner for some time then she married and moved to america,mum lost touch with her and it wasnt until 1977 that janet wrote from her home in tocomma washington.they wrote to each other a couple of times,janet said she had breast cancer not long after that we heard she had died.i have got some old photos and newspaper cuttings about the floods and will send them to you as soon as i can find them . bye for now marlene.

Offline nikitacrane94

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 October 20 21:06 BST (UK) »
Hello both,
I just came across this post, I know it is years later but maybe you will read this. I am too a relative of the Papworths. Janet was my second cousin twice removed. My great great grandmother was Dorothy May Papworth. It was her sister Beatrice who gave birth to Frederick who married Phyllis having Patricia, Janet, Jennifer and Susanne. He left Phyllis after the war and moved to Australia. She was left to work a hard life in an old peoples home to be able to raise her 4 daughters alone. Janet survived the floods because she went to a party that night and the flood prevented her getting home. I have two newspaper article cuttings about the flood. One calls Janet the saddest little girl in Britain and the orphan of the storm, the other is a picture of her with her dog Trixie. That is all she had left from the flood, no family nor belongings. I was happy to see she married and moved to Washington to start a new life, but I was saddened to read your post that she passed away from breast cancer.

I have a lot of information on ancestry about them and other Papworth's, if you're interested I can share this information with you. Or we could swap emails.

Hope to hear from you,
Nikita

Offline DRowley

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 23 March 21 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I just came across this post.

I am Janet's granddaughter. If anyone needs info to help piece anything together, I would be happy to chat.