Author Topic: COMPLETED. Airing the family linen!  (Read 2861 times)

Offline BevL

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
COMPLETED. Airing the family linen!
« on: Saturday 18 April 09 08:19 BST (UK) »
The attached piece of the death certificate of my grandmother has the name of the Friend who attested to her death in 1919 aged 43 in Western Australia.
My grandparents separated and no-one knows the name of the gentleman she lived with 'The Scandal!'
I cannot read it, but would love to know the name and see if I can find anything about him, so can anyone read his name in the first column for me please?
Kind regards
Bev
MOORE (Kent) & FRENCH (Sussex) & Western Australia, LOVE (Kent), ROPER 1810 (N Ireland). ADAM 1808 (Paisley), Scotland, Victoria & West Aust, TROTTER 1700's onwards  Northern Ireland, Scotland & Aust, FLAHERTY 1791/2 (Ireland) CHAPMAN (Kent) &  Western Australia, CARROLL & POWER. Ireland & Western  Australia, FISHER  Lancashire & Western Australia, FIDLER Denton, Lancashire, Victoria, MARSH Essex & Western Australia, COOPER - Southwark, London, Victoria
All to the lucky country.

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: Airing the family linen!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 April 09 08:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Bev  :)

I changed the image to a jpg so people can view it without having to download it  :)

Is there any chance you could scan it a big bigger?  It's very small and enlarging it in a graphics program just makes it blurry.  For the moment I think the first name of the person might be "Boniface"; can't read the surname at all but the first name suggests something Italian  ;)

Prue

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 April 09 09:05 BST (UK) »
And Prue, perhaps you could leave the original scan as well as your transfer to a jpeg ...
The original may be easier for some of us to read.

Given name looks like somewhat like Boniface ...

JAP

Offline BevL

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 April 09 09:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks Prue & Jap,
Yes, I think the word 'Italian' was mentioned behind their hands!
However, I have also put another copy up to see if the surname can be deciphered, otherwise a long and dreary look through cemeteries around Collie (if he didn't move!
Kind regards
Bev
MOORE (Kent) & FRENCH (Sussex) & Western Australia, LOVE (Kent), ROPER 1810 (N Ireland). ADAM 1808 (Paisley), Scotland, Victoria & West Aust, TROTTER 1700's onwards  Northern Ireland, Scotland & Aust, FLAHERTY 1791/2 (Ireland) CHAPMAN (Kent) &  Western Australia, CARROLL & POWER. Ireland & Western  Australia, FISHER  Lancashire & Western Australia, FIDLER Denton, Lancashire, Victoria, MARSH Essex & Western Australia, COOPER - Southwark, London, Victoria

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 April 09 11:36 BST (UK) »
And Prue, perhaps you could leave the original scan as well as your transfer to a jpeg ...
The original may be easier for some of us to read.

Original tif added to first message - I'll be very interested to know whether it's any easier to read than the jpg.

Bev - afraid I still can't make head or tail of the surname...although I keep thinking it ends in something like  "tiare"  ??? :-\

Offline MKG

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Warts and all, they're all mine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 April 09 12:00 BST (UK) »
I do hate to be a cold water pourer - but it looks like Boniface Johnstone to me  :)

Mike
Griffiths, Howard, Johnson, McLeod, Rizz(a)(i)(o)
Berwick (Tweedmouth and Spittal), Blyth(N'land) between the wars, Wrexham, Tattersett

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 April 09 12:12 BST (UK) »
...   could those last 5 letters be  liano ...  :-\  my imagination doesn't help with the rest though sorry

:) mare

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 18 April 09 21:32 BST (UK) »
If he was Italian, his first name would more likely be "Bonifacio", which looks possible, from the document.  Am still working on the second name....!
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BevL

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 19 April 09 03:09 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
Sorry to be so late answering - someone had the cheek to come and visit when I was trying to decipher this name ;D ;D ;D
I agree (now that it has been mentioned) that the first name seems to be Bonifacio to me as well.  The surname I think starts with Iso?.... and I agree with the liano at the end. Just a thought it wouldn't be Italiano would it? It seems to be written smaller than everything, perhaps to fit it into the space, because for a 1919 certificate it is very smudged isn't it?
Kind regards
Rae