Author Topic: Help To Decipher Please  (Read 1485 times)

Offline waiteohman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help To Decipher Please
« Reply #9 on: Monday 20 April 09 04:07 BST (UK) »
I believe he was a day labourer who worked at the Dunkerque Hospice. He could also have died there, I don't believe they are giving his place of death in your document, but the fact he is deceased and his profession. Can you compare to other entries for similar documents.

If one said deceased worker, it would be travailleur décédé, thus deceased day labourer = journalier décédé.

If he had died at, would expect to see décédé à. We see dans instead of à . So looks to me he was a dayworker in the Hospice and he was a deceased person.

Linda
Dorman, Waite, Moore, Clark/Clarke, Neil, Rennie/Rainey, Brown, Mclean, Day, Millar/Miller, Gunion/Gunzion, Thomson, Black, Milvain, McCubbin, Steadman, Kirby

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help To Decipher Please
« Reply #10 on: Monday 20 April 09 10:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks Linda, I was erring on that side but not sure.
I've a significant number to attempt to transcribe and translate, so I'll see what else crops up as I plod along.
WIMBUSH - Everywhere :: MARLOW/JECOCK/JUSTICE - Northamptonshire/Warwickshire/Oxfordshire :: SCALES/BRIDGES/ENGLISH/SPINK/PETCH/GOOCH/COCKSEDGE - Suffolk :: GARRETT/GIBBS/FEARN - Warwickshire :: DEVOS - Scotland (Aberdeen)/France(Dunkerque) :: MURRAY - Ireland(Down)/Scotland(Lochs) :: TIGHE/TREACY - Cork

Stanley Charles SCALES b.1899 - Where are you?    ***