Author Topic: Suicide of Eliza WHAYMAN (nee HAWES)  (Read 3066 times)

Offline post office Kate

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Suicide of Eliza WHAYMAN (nee HAWES)
« on: Saturday 18 April 09 18:07 BST (UK) »
Hi, can anyone tell me if there would be a death certificate for my great great grandmother who I believe committed suicide by drowning at sea? Her son who was called John Whayman committed suicide and the report into his death mentioned the fact that both of his parents also killed themselves. I have found the report into his father's death but not his mother's. As the report mentions that John was quite a child at the time of his mother's death I estimate that this was probably about 1870 give or take a bit. They lived in the Plomesgate area of Suffolk. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks
looking for Goodings and Whaymans of Suffolk, Harpers of Buckinghamshire and Warwickshire, Jacques of Leicestershire and Hudds and Pontings of Gloucestershire

Offline Dave Francis

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cornelius Fisk Goodwin (1880-1961)
    • View Profile
Re: Suicide of Eliza WHAYMAN (nee HAWES)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 April 09 18:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Kate

Suggest you provide a bit more biographical info about John Whayman and his parents. e.g. when was he born? when did he die? what was his father's name etc? This will help us to piece things together.

In the meantime I see that a woman call Eliza Whayman died at age 20 and was buried on 13 July 1874 in Dallinghoo (which is in the reg district of Woodbridge which in turn is next to Plomesgate). A bit to young to be John's mother?

Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames include: FRANCIS in Glamorgan / LANWORN in Monmouth / BLACKMAN, RUSSELL in Sussex / KEARSEY, BARLTROP in Essex / TOOKEY in Leicestershire / LASHMORE in London and Kent / GOODWIN, PASQUE, ATTOE, FISK, QUINTON, RUFFLES, CULLINGFORD and others in Suffolk / MAYOSS anywhere anytime! / GILMORE in Belfast

Offline post office Kate

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 April 09 18:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave, John Whayman committed suicide by hanging himself in 1894 in Iken woods when he was 34 years old. His father Alfred Whayman committed suicide by drowning in 1886 aged 51. In the report into the death of John it mentioned that his mother who was Eliza Whayman nee Hawes (spelt various ways including Hawkes) also drowned. I can't find any record of this incident but would like to know if it was likely there was a death certificate or inquest for Eliza. It would have probably been in the Plomesgate or Woodford district. As it mentions that John was a child when his mother died I guess it would have been about 1870 or so. Thanks for your interest. Kate.
looking for Goodings and Whaymans of Suffolk, Harpers of Buckinghamshire and Warwickshire, Jacques of Leicestershire and Hudds and Pontings of Gloucestershire

Offline Laurina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 April 09 19:01 BST (UK) »
Eliza married in 3Q 1857 - she was born in 1839 in Gedgrave, Suffolk so was 22 at the time of the 1861 census - she was with her husband and had a daughter Emily, 2 and son John W 7months.

By 1871 Alfred, Emily and John are lodgers with William Wayman and Sarah - It says Alfred is unmarried - it could be that Eliza died betwen 1861-1871.

Laurina
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dave Francis

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cornelius Fisk Goodwin (1880-1961)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 April 09 19:50 BST (UK) »
Checking the Suffolk Burials Index for further background:

Alfred Whayman died aged 51 and was buried on 29 June 1866 in Sudbourne.

John Whayman (of Iken) died aged 34 and was buried on 17 May 1894, also in Sudbourne.

Alas I can't find an entry for an Eliza Whayman/Wayman/Whyman.

Alfred said he was unmarried in 1871 and I suppose this would be the literal truth if he was a widower, so the working assumption would be that Eliza died 1861-1871.

There are two death registrations for an Elizabeth Whayman in this period - both in Woodbridge as it happens - but these can be discounted as the burials index show that one is for a young girl and the other for an elderly woman.

Hmm. I suppose it's possible that Eliza was drowned and that her body was never recorded - hence no burial or death registration. Not sure where to go next!
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames include: FRANCIS in Glamorgan / LANWORN in Monmouth / BLACKMAN, RUSSELL in Sussex / KEARSEY, BARLTROP in Essex / TOOKEY in Leicestershire / LASHMORE in London and Kent / GOODWIN, PASQUE, ATTOE, FISK, QUINTON, RUFFLES, CULLINGFORD and others in Suffolk / MAYOSS anywhere anytime! / GILMORE in Belfast

Offline post office Kate

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 April 09 20:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies. It's a really frustrating hobby sometimes isn't it? Kate

Offline bille

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 May 09 07:55 BST (UK) »
Hi  :)
I'm sorry I can't help with your suicide  query!

I do have Wayman/Whayman family from Suffolk.

I believe my 4xG Grandmother was Winifred Wayman born abt 1786 Suffolk marr James Blake in 1806 Haskerton Suffolk
I have no more info other than her marriage to James which I found on free site

Can any help with family members/census, and is it possible Elizabeth/John Whayman  could link to mine?

Billie   :)

Offline wellsead

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 June 22 17:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Post Office Kate

I’ve just started the whayman family tree. Eliza and John are our gx4 grandparents and I’d really love to be able to share any information you have. I am compiling some histories to give to our family. It sounds like we are related.