Author Topic: Cummings Of Ballycarton.  (Read 28442 times)

Offline CummingsDonaghy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Cummings Of Ballycarton.
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 22 July 09 00:16 BST (UK) »
Hello Summerhill,
My mother was Geraldine Cummings from Limavady, the daughter of Kenneth Cummings, the son of Samuel Cummings. I can't give you anymore info apart from the fact that as a child my mother would have taken us to Roemill Graveyard where there was ancestors of ours buried there. There is still a lot us  Cummings still living in Limavady and we are all connected.
O'Comain, Misskimmings, Cummings - Limavady
Donaghy, McVey - Ballykelly

Offline pkincaid

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 22 July 09 02:07 BST (UK) »
Just noticing this thread and amazed by the family inter relations which seem to mirror that in the Sussex area of New Brunswick, Canada.  Lots of Cummings in the area.  However, of more particular interest to me is the McDermott connections.  One of the patriarchs was Patrick McDermott (born at the turn of the 1800s) who married Elizabeth Mullins.  I have an interest in an William J. G. McDermott who may be connected to him.  There were marriages with McGlones and Coughlans.

Just wanted to see if this McDermott/Mullins connection rings a bell with researchers related to this thread.

Peter
Kincaids (Kincade, Kinkaid, Kinkead, etc.) of Counties Londonderry and Tyrone.

Gardiners of Ramelton, County Donegal.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 22 July 09 08:06 BST (UK) »
Just noticing this thread and amazed by the family inter relations which seem to mirror that in the Sussex area of New Brunswick, Canada... 
Wonder if that area was settled by many Co. Londonderry families. I've traced McPhersons of Sussex, Kings Co., N.B. that originated from Ringsend area not far from Limavady. Perhaps there are local histories written about the settlers in that area which cae from Co. Londonderry.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline pkincaid

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 22 July 09 18:09 BST (UK) »
There is actually a place named Londonderry just outside of Sussex.  In researching the area I know that there were a number of Londonderry natives who migrated there.  However, there are still a lot of families whose place of origin is simply Ireland.  It may be that quite a few of these were Londonderry area.

I have in my quick access notes the following County Londonderry natives (born in the late 1700s or early 1800s) who settled in the vicinity of Sussex, New Brunswick, Canada (some a bit closer to Coles Island).

Joseph Leggett Mullin
Elizabeth relict of Robert Reed, of Newtown Limavady
Edward Hamilton of Newtown Limavady
Elizabeth Williams of Newtown Limavady
Matthew Ferguson, native of Newtown Limavady
George McAuley of Ballykelly

John Hunter native of Parish of Macosquin
James Lynch of Laremount
Elizabeth McAuley widow of William McAuley
John McCaw of Coleraine
William Macky of Coshquin in Liberties, Londonderry
Andrew, Thomas and David Phillips of Dungiven Parish

John Bond
John Calvin
George Cochran
Agnes Ann Cowan, widow of James Cowan
Eliza Crawford
Nancy Gurney
Mrs. Roseanna Hunter
Richard Hughes
Martha Hunter
Rachel Hunter
Samuel, James and William Irons
Robert Kee
Barnard Kelly
Joseph Kennedy and his wife Mary Christie
Margaret Kilfillen, widow of John Norry

David Kincaid
John Marshall
Thomas Mason
Mrs. Jane McEwen, widow of William McEwen
Andrew Mackie
James Mackie
Hugh McLaren
Ezekiel McLaughlin
Martha relict of William McLaughlin
John Parks
Alexander Quigley
Robert Ross
John Smith
William Smith (married Jane Murphy)
Robert Snell
Martha, wife of Adam Todd
Samuel Thompson
William Young
Kincaids (Kincade, Kinkaid, Kinkead, etc.) of Counties Londonderry and Tyrone.

Gardiners of Ramelton, County Donegal.

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 24 July 09 19:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply Cummings Donaghy.  Itslovely to know that there are still Cummings living in Limavady. I am still working my way through my Cummings family search.  But what I do know as I initially posted  is that my Great Grandmother was Anne Elizabeth Cummings and her father was James Cummings from Ballycarton Limavady. James married Elizabeth Mc Dermott in Belarena Roman Catholic Church in 1871.  Now James'father was alsoJ amesCummings but thats all the info I have.  I dont even know the mothers names nor Cummings ancestors from earlier generations. So I seem to have drawn a blank pre 1871. ButI amhoping to visit Derry& Limavady later this summer ,so perhapsI will be lucky.  By the way do you know how old Roemill cemetery is and who may hold the burial records?

Regards,

Summerhill.

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 24 July 09 19:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks P. Kincaid for your very kind reply.  You enquire about my McDermott connections, wel all I know is that my Great great grandmother was Elizabeth Mc Dermott, from Duncrun ,Limavady. Her father was Charles Mc Dermott a farmer.  Thats all the information I have at the moment . I have not yet gotaround to going back further with the Mc Dermott line yet, as I have mainly concentrated on the Cummings of Limavady and the Campbell families of Derry City. But the mc Dermott name was in fact carried down through the Campbell family throughthe last 3 generations.  there was a Dermott Campbell in each generation.  But when Ivisit Limavady later this summer, I will definately visit Bellarena church to view their records.  I hope I will find lotsof Mc Dermott ,& Cummings ancestors.

I was very interested to see that most of the emigrants from the Limavady area who emigrated to Canada seem to have intermarried.

Regards,

Summerhill.

Offline CummingsDonaghy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 25 July 09 15:26 BST (UK) »
Summerhill: I do not know who would hold the records, but i could try and find out for you. i'll phone the parish office during the week and ask. I am actually marrying into a McDermott from Limavady so my fiancee may actually be long lost cousins lol
O'Comain, Misskimmings, Cummings - Limavady
Donaghy, McVey - Ballykelly

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 25 July 09 15:48 BST (UK) »
See here (under LONDONDERRY CHURCH RECORDS & GRAVEYARDS) to see what records are available-
www.from-ireland.net/derry/derryrcindex.htm
(Coleraine Library also have copies of the PRONI church records)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 02 August 10 22:15 BST (UK) »
This post is related to Alderman Patrick Campbell of Londonderry.  I have posted this reply to assist family members currently doing research.
Just to recap Anne Elizabeth Cummings married Patrick Campbell in 1899. Anne Elizabeths'father was James Cummings from Ballycarton , her Mother was Elizabeth McDermott from Duncrun ,Limavady. They were married in 1871 in Bellarena Church, Tamlaghtard, Limavady.

Hope this helps.
Regards,

Summerhill.