Author Topic: Grzimish family: Jewellers Aldgate & Islington  (Read 13409 times)

Offline hd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Grzimish family: Jewellers Aldgate & Islington
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 19 December 10 08:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi  PR lee,thank you for sharing those wonderful oil paintings,they are just wonderful.Very handsome couple i must say.Philip and Esther are my great great Grandparents on my fathers side.My dads mum was a Grimish(GRZYMISCH).So was Bertha Grzymisch philip's sister.I did have a list of their siblings but my filing is not to great.Do you have any info on Philips parents,did they stay in Prussia as it seems alot of them moved to London to live but i haven't heard anything about philips parents.I have been lucky enough to find abit on Esther Barnett,which i find very exciting reading. The name Barnett has been past on to my Dads Uncle who was in WW1,do have a little info if interested .also can tell abit about the Brisbane side of Grimish if needed. CHEERS hd 8)

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 19 December 10 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Prlee

What an incredible piece of information!

Miriam Maud Lee, was the daughter of John Walter Lee and Bertha Grzymisch, not Isa Mabel as at the beginning of this thread. It was Miriam Maud who married thrice, first to Walter Perry the solicitor of Southport, whom she bore a daughter, Isa Mabel Bertha Perry. Walter passed his law exams in 1894 according to the Times.

This is the report of her third marriage to Wilfred Doughty in the Grimsby Telegraph 5th August 1918, which confirms her second marriage,. Is that your great grandmother at the wedding (mother of the bride)

MARRIAGE OF MR. W V DOUGHTY, J.P.
----------------------------
CEREMONY IN LONDON YESTERDAY

The marriage took place quietly yesterday at Holy Trinity Church Brompton, of Councillor Wilfred Vere Doughty, B.A. J.P. of Waltham Hall, the only son of the late Sir George Doughty M.P., to Mrs. Miriam Van de Water of Harrington Court, South Kensington.

The ceremony, which was favoured by ideal weather, the bright genial sunshine lending an added charm to the beautiful interior of the church, was witnessed by a small parade of friends, amongst whom were Mrs. R. Lee (mother of the bride).

The bride’s mother was attired in a black charmeuse embroidered with jet, with beautiful charmeuse cloak lined with flowered nylon and a black velvet and tulle turban trimmed with black ospreys. She carried a sheaf of orchids.

Later in the afternoon Mr. and Mrs. W. V. Doughty left for their honeymoon which was being spent on the south coast. The bride on going away wore a white tailor-made costume and a Serbian embroidered cap and she carried an elegant ivory walking stick with monogram presented to her by the bridegroom. A number of beautiful wedding gifts were received.

I think the south coast resort was Bournemouth-Wilfred owned a house there.

Isa Mabel Bertha married Thomas Docksey, but they later divorced. I have other info on Miriam Maud should you be interested.

Tom

Offline prlee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 19 December 10 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tom,

Very fascinating vignette of my great aunt's 3rd marriage.  My dad called her Auntie Tids.  Anyway, Philip Baron Grzimish was the son of Israel Halevi Grzymisch (1772 to 1843) of Pleschen and Posen in Prussia. Israel's wife was woman named Jette.  Their children were Sura (or Dora),  Moses Levy, Philip Baron, Maryann, Ernestine and Baer.  Philip married Esther Barnett and had the following children:

Julia (1852-1892) m. Michael Joseph and then Henry Bandmacher
Isadore(Israel) (1854-1929) m. Rose Hannah Jones in 1883
Bertha Flora (c1855-          ) m. John Lee in 1876
Rebecca (Rose) (1856 -      )m. Baron Louis Benas (1844-1914)
Samuel (1857-1902) m. Emily Jane Phillips in 1876
Baron(Bernard) (1861-1937)
Adelaide(1863-     ) m. Simon Davis

I have more information about their descendants if anyone is interested

Offline prlee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 20 December 10 01:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tom:

How did you come by that fascinating article from the Grimsby Telegraph?

Cheers'

prlee

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 20 December 10 09:11 GMT (UK) »
prlee,

It's fortunate that the Grimsby Telegraph was originally owned by Wilfred's father Sir George Doughty who used the newspaper for his own political aims. Wilfred, the bridegroom in this report, became its editor. Then in Grimsby at the time, anything "Doughty" was reported on, except when Sir George's wife was named in a divorce case-that was reported in a rival Hull newspaper! Having an interest in the Doughty family I have a collection of newspaper articles relating to them-they are not online, so it's a matter of looking at microfilm, photocopying & typing out the result-quite a task but well worth it.The library staff are very helpful at the library, so should you want to know anything just ask-they have a very good local history library, and the local North East Lincolnshire Archives at Grimsby has quite a collection of articles on the fishing industry-Sir George owned a fishing fleet both in Grimsby & later in the Pacific north west.

When Isa Mabel Bertha Perry had her 21st birthday at Grimsby Town Hall the newspaper reported on it!

Tom

Offline hd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 20 December 10 09:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you prlee for your information on Philip Grzymisch ,i have never been able to find anything on his parents,very interesting .Do you know if they stayed in Prussia or moved to London like Philip.Philips son Samuel was my greatgrandfather which i have some info on .His wife Emily Jane died very Young and all the children were sent to foster care apparently,do you know anything about this especially about Clara(my gran).Thank you again for any information i do appreciate it  CHEERS hd  8)

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 20 February 11 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

Having upgraded my subscription to a well-known Family History resource, I have now learnt Mrs. Miriam Van de Water of Harrington Court, London on the marriage record at the church on 7th August 1918, not 4th August as above, stated her age was 35, making her birth around 1883! Then to confuse matters further, both their respective fathers are mentioned on the record as is usual; Wilfred Doughty the groom, is George Doughty, Knight & JP, and the bride's, is Robert and a gentleman. The trouble is that George was dead at the time-he died in 1914, and the bride isn't given away by her father, but by her brother in law a Mr. Sutcliffe. The bride's mother, Prlee's Aunt Tids, is mentioned as Mrs R. Lee, which confirms with name of bride's father.

I have realised why I made the mistake about the marriage date, I mis-read the date at the top of the newspaper as 5th August when it is actually 8th August!

When Mrs. Miriam Maud Doughty died in 1963 she left several thousand pounds, again my new subscription provided probate records, showing her aged 83, so born 1880 not 1883, so maybe she being a woman lied about her age! But I just wonder who was Robert Lee and have a made the wrong conclusion.

Tom

Offline Dannygr

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 27 July 11 00:23 BST (UK) »
Hi everybody in this chat!

I was googling my name, which i do once or twice a year, and found this chat for the first time.
I am not an expert genealoger? (if the word exists), but I think that you guys may be the British part of my family.
I was born in Argentina (too many years ago), OK, in 1949, to German parents. Both my parents flew Germany just before the war. From family tales, I know that the origins were somewhere in Prussia, and that the name goes back to the Austro-Hungarian Empire's time.
I know certainly that my grandfather (father's side) was Georg Grzymisch, born on December 01, 1878 in Pleschen. His father was Samuel Grzymisch, also born in Pleschen and his mother was Sophie Grzymisch nee Badt, Born in Grätz. My great-grandparents were Moses Grzymisch and Röschen Grzymisch nee Lewzyk. I have no birth dates of all those named w/o the date.
Because in the chat many of you mentioned Preussen an Pleschen, I think there has to be a relation somewhere, even if the name is spelled different, but basically, in my opinion, it has to be originated in the same family.

If anybody wants to catch up on this matter I would be very happy to receive news.

Offline hd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 26 May 12 11:43 BST (UK) »
HI,just looking through Roots Chat and came across you message and thought i would send you some info.My Great Great grand father was a Philip Grzimish(Gryzmisch)who also came from Prussia and lived in London until his death.His son Samuel came to Australia and married Emily Jane Philips,Their daughter Clara was my grandmother.Don't know much about Philip but have a little info on our Samuel, who was a Taylor in Brisbane Australia for many years. Philip and Esther grzimish had came from an area in Prussia called Prosen philip was the son of  Israel ha-Levi Gryzimish and Jette ,Esther was the daughter of Dayan,Rabbi Aryeh Loeb Barnett-Lichtenstad.I am an Australian connection of this name and would be pleased to help if i can CHEERS : :D