Author Topic: Visit to Clonakilty  (Read 10413 times)

Offline suep968

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Visit to Clonakilty
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 21 April 09 14:16 BST (UK) »
I don't know when Richard left Ireland, I only know he became a postmaster at a post office in london.

Apparently there was a family row after the death of my great great grandfather Patrick Nagle when he left the farm to the eldest child Mary .  It seems that most of the siblings left Ireland but if and when any of them went back to ireland at a later date is unknown.  My great grandfather James Nagle I would estimate probably left Ireland sometime around 1907/1908 as he married in Llanwonno, South Wales in  1910.

Sue

Offline Brendan Joseph

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 21 April 09 14:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,

Whe you say that there was a big row, you will probably find that there was a court case, they were called "equity suites" and were quite often used in land disputes, the case was probably held in Bandon, obviously Mary won the case.

In the Valuation office in Dublin there is a full history up to today for the farm that Patrick lived on, if there was a court case it will be recorded there, they are called "the Cancelled Tenant Books" unfortunately not online.

Brendan

Offline Brendan Joseph

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 21 April 09 15:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,

I know you are looking at a 1911 death for Patrick, there is another record a Patrick born 1834, died 1894.

Also have you looked at the possibility that your James may have gone to Pontipridd because he had relations there, there are Nagle births there before he arrived and married Emily.

Brendan

Offline Brendan Joseph

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 21 April 09 15:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,

Your Richard was in London 1911, He says he was from Ardfield, Clonakilty

Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

Brendan

Offline Wicklow Rose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 21 April 09 19:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue.

Richfordstown appears on some maps (including the OS Discovery series) as Maulmacredmond, the townland's early Irish name.

However, on Multimap.com and Google Earth it is the anglicised name that is used.

Whichever type of map you look at, if you think of the centre of Clonakilty as the middle of a clock, you'll find Richfordstown at just before four o'clock.  It's about four miles east of the town.

I know the area reasonably well and have a friend who lives there. She doesn't know of a Richmond Farm. While she wouldn't claim to be infallible, I'd be surprised if she's wrong... it's a very small townland.  Suggests to me that it's been renamed.  The Valuation Office in Dublin which Brendan mentioned is where you'll be able to find out.

If you're going to Clonakilty anyway, I'd recommend you go to Richfordstown and knock on a few doors.  Local knowledge and history can often move your research on apace.

Good luck.

Rose

Santry - Cork
O'Driscoll - Cork
Doolittle - Wicklow
Nichols - Wicklow
Doyle - Wexford
Tierney - Tipperary

Offline suep968

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 22 April 09 12:29 BST (UK) »
The family have said that we had no Nagle relatives in Pontypridd when James moved there and married Emily.  In fact the only Nagle relatives we had in England/Wales were James and Emily and their children. The story goes that  after he left Ireland he had nothing to do with his family and rarely spoke about them.   He had been training to be either a doctor or dentist in Ireland before the death of his father and subsequently had to give this up.   The fact that he cut off his family  can't be 100% true as my great aunt was writing to her grandmother in Ireland in the 1920s and at sometime in the 1950's both she and her husband went to Ireland and apparently tracked down the farm.  It is said that at the time we still had a distant relation living there.  Unfortunately my great aunt and uncle had no children and no other details seem to be known of this visit.  I would have thought they would have told someone if the name of the farm had been changed at that time, but possibly not.  The family had trouble tracking down my great grandfather after the death of one of his siblings who had willed some money to him.  I think it took them years and then they only found him because  the marriage of his eldest daughter was announced in the catholic times.

I think a trip to the valuation office in Dublin would be an excellent idea.  To find a full history of the farm would be most interesting and to find out what the name of the farm has been changed to and when would be fantastic.

The info about Richard from the 1911 census is obviously the right one.  I don't think there will be any more Richard Nagle's from Ardfield, Clonakilty living in that area at the time.

The info you have shared is fantastic and will really help when I finally get to visit Ireland.

Sue

Offline Brendan Joseph

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 22 April 09 12:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,

He was a boarder living in the house, occupation clerk in post office, I think that Ardfield was interesting, that must be where he was born.

Brendan

Offline suep968

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 22 April 09 12:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Brendan

I know on my great grandfathers birth certificate it states - Carrigroe, Rathbarry as the place of birth on 3/3/1877 and then on his baptism certificate it states baptised in the parish of Ardfield and Rathbarry on 4/3/1877.  He told everyone he was born at Richmond Farm, Clonakilty.  I would assume that his siblings birth and baptism details would all be similar.

Sue

Offline Brendan Joseph

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 22 April 09 13:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,

They are probably one and the same. Just had an idea, attached to Griffiths are the maps for the townlands, go back and check Patricks record then check the map, if you magnify the map you just might find a Richmond farm in small writing.

Brendan