Author Topic: P.C. Buchannon of Mount Pleasant, Bumlin  (Read 10459 times)

Offline alexas

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
P.C. Buchannon of Mount Pleasant, Bumlin
« on: Monday 20 April 09 11:17 BST (UK) »
Seeking census records of James and Anne Buchannon of Mount Pleasant whose daughter Mary Jane was baptised 18 Jan 1855 at the Church of Ireland (St. John's?) Bumlin parish, Roscommon by the vicar Joseph Morton.

By 1875 Mary Jane had emigrated to Co. Durham, England and married Alex Briggs.

I should be grateful for any clues.
Alexas
Northumberland - Askew, Ridley, Nicholson, Coulson, Robson, Proud.
Durham - Askew, Robson, Slater, Strong, Anderson, Briggs, Buchannon
Rutland - Dexter, Gant, Rippin, Knowles
Staffordshire - Cope, Huson
Birmingham - Harris, Sampson
London - Butler
Roscommon, Ireland - Buchannan, Powell, Briggs
Roscommon, Ireland - Buchannon
Armagh, N.Ireland - Briggs

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: P.C. Buchannon of Mount Pleasant, Bumlin
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 April 09 14:54 BST (UK) »
Seeking census records of James and Anne Buchannon of Mount Pleasant whose daughter Mary Jane was baptised 18 Jan 1855 at the Church of Ireland (St. John's?) Bumlin parish, Roscommon by the vicar Joseph Morton.
By 1875 Mary Jane had emigrated to Co. Durham, England and married Alex Briggs.
I should be grateful for any clues.
Alexas

First complete census for Ireland in 1901. National Archives is gradually adding 1911 and then 1901 census for all Ireland online bt it will be awhile before it covers the whole country (Roscommon's quite far down the list).
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/about/futureplans.html
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 April 09 15:27 BST (UK) »
Roscommon 1901 census transcripts are available on the Leitrim-Roscommon website at : http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/cgi-bin/newcen-srch

I only see one close match and thats a Buchanan family in Castlerea

William Buchanan, age 32, bank official

with wife (age 35), niece(age 4) and Mary McDermott(17) servant

records are hard to read - so they do not have the full details transcribed.

There are a few Buchanan entries on Griffiths Valuation in Co. Roscommon - all of them in Boyle. For this area the survey was carried out in 1858. Griffiths is a census substitute which only includes heads of household - see : http://griffiths.askaboutireland.ie/gv4/gv_family_search_form.php

Shane

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 April 09 20:00 BST (UK) »
some more info for you :

Thom's of 1863 Ecclesiastical Directory includes :

Joseph Morton A.M., Elphin Diocese, Bulmin Parish, post-town Strokestown

Mount pleasant seems to be a house or estate in or near Strokestown, and owned by a John Devenish esq, J.P. See the Slaters Directory (1846) entry for Strokestown, right hand page, under Gentry & Clergy : http://www.failteromhat.com/slater/0026.pdf

Roscommon Parish transcripts are available on the Irish Family History Website at www.irish-roots.ie  Its a pay site and charge €5 for each record that you choose to view. The basic index search is free once you register.

A search of birth/baptism on the site show 7 Buchanan baptisms in Co. Roscommon - between 1823 and 1883, including a record of a Mary Jane in 1855. I checked a couple of these and they are in the Bumlin parish, CofI records.

There is also a marriage for a James Buchanan in 1853 - but not in the same parish.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline alexas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 April 09 07:33 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to Aghadowey and Shane,

Research in Ireland is all new to me and very interesting.

I had found Mary Jane's baptism on the http://ifhf.brsgenealogy.com  paylist, and knew it was correct as her father's names and occupation checked with our family's verbal history.  This is where I learned her mother's Christian name Anne and of their address at Mount Pleasant which looks from Google-Earth like it could be a  post on the main road in Bumlin Parish.

With your help I have found from http://www.libraryireland.com/topog/s2.php
that the Bumlin CI Church was presumably St. John's Church.  I am hoping that the marriage in 1853 of a James Buchanan at Roscommon Church of Ireland will be my G2 Grandfather but am wary of making a blind purchase.

Similarly I see on the http://ifhf.brsgenealogy.com  paylist, a birth for a James Buckanan in 1830 at Athlone who could be my man.

Would you know if policemen were frequently moved around as they were in England?  I found a James Buchannan on the http://griffiths.askabout ireland.ie website far away at Clonfert in Galway in 1856. 
Time for reflection.  I have a photo of Mary Jane which I will post. 
With renewed thanks for your invaluable help.
Alexas

London - Butler

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 April 09 09:39 BST (UK) »
....Would you know if policemen were frequently moved around as they were in England?  I found a James Buchannan on the http://griffiths.askabout ireland.ie website far away at Clonfert in Galway in 1856. 
Alexas

One of my ancestors was a Coastguard/Customs & Excise man and I've read that they were moved around prevent any possibility of getting on too well with the locals.. certainly his service record supports this. As far as I know the same applied to RIC officers. In later years (1880s onwards) the Irish Times has lists published of policemen being transferred from one station to another.

I will keep an eye out for James in the directories etc....

some info on Mount Pleasant that might be of interest -
Thom's of 1850 (County & Borough section) list John Devenish, Mount Pleasant, Strokestown as a county Magistrate. There's no mention of James in the RIC list ... but this only seems to include officers in charge. The OIC listed for Strokestown is Coleman Bryan O'Loghlen, esq

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline alexas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 April 09 12:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that, Shane.  I can see the sense in moving these folks around.

Mary Jane Buchannon bapt 18 Jan 1855 Bumlin CI is pictured here on the left with my grandmother Maud Briggs born 1875 as a babe in the late 1880's.

From your helpful lead to Slater's Directory at http://www.failteromhat.com/slater/0026.pdf I saw the entry for Mount Pleasant , and wondered if the JP had  a barracks attached to his home.  I then saw the mention of a police barracks in Strokestown and then looked for it on Google-Earth, where I made what could be an interesting discovery.  The hamlet to the WSW of Strokestown is Lisroyne, and for years I have been looking for a place called Lisrain where my grandmother recalled her mother saying she last lived before she came to England.

I could not find the Griffiths mention in Boyle - perhaps I am using the wrong spelling.  I've tried Buchanan, Buchannon, Buckanan but nothing works.

On another tack I did find a likely lad as future husband to Mary Jane - Alexander Briggs lodging at Ballymacbrennan, Magheralin, Lurgan, in County Down in 1864. This ties in with his report in the 1911 census  as coming from nearby Mullaghglass, except that he thought it was Armagh.  Boundaries may have changed.    They married in England on 04 Aug 1875.  In 1911 Mary Jane reported her birthplace as Roscommon, thus sparking off this search.

Regards, Alex
London - Butler

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 April 09 12:20 BST (UK) »
the Roscommon Griffiths entries :

Name / Placename      / Parish

John         BUCHANAN       GRANGEBEG       BOYLE
 Patrick      BUCHANAN      GRANGEBEG      BOYLE
 Barthw.      BUCHANAN      GRANGEBEG      BOYLE

dated : 1858

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline alexas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 April 09 13:30 BST (UK) »
Shane,
Many thanks for your help, which has brought me much more than I was hoping for.
Regards,
Alexas.
London - Butler