Author Topic: Major Boswell  (Read 8976 times)

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Major Boswell
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 21:27 BST (UK) »
  I came across a record about Madonna Gibbs and Emily Linian, two gipsies, so i then looked at records that may connect, maybe they connect back to the older ones in this thread, do not forget the famouse Major Lovell of olden times, everything below extracts plus there are many more records of North Street and the Boswells

Tuesday 16 March 1971
  Birmingham Daily Post
  Warwickshire 

Gipsy chief seeks legal aid The leader of 50 gipsy families camped in Slackey Lane. Walsall. is applying for
 T…….. Gibbs. aged 53. who has travelled in the Walsall area for the past 43 years, has been chosen as a test case by the Gipsy Council and the national Council for Civil Liberties

Saturday 21 February 1942
  Staffordshire Sentinel
  Staffordshire 

STOKE ROMANY LEADER
 H.... Boswell and Mr. Lawrence Boswell, who are both in business as scrap metals dealers in North-street; Mr. Jack Boswell, who is working out of the district; and Mrs. Kirkland, of 63, Brick-kiln-lane. Etruria. His wife, Mrs. Rebecca 

Thursday 11 January 1940
 Staffordshire Sentinel
  Staffordshire 

STOKE ASSAULT Father-in-Law Bound Over Summoned by his son-in-!aw for assault. Zachariah Finney. aged 65. of Trent Vale. was, at Stoke Police Court to-day, bound over for 12 months. Complainant was Lawrence Boswell, of North-street. Stoke

STOKE ROMANY LEADER Death of Rabbi Boswell The Romany community at The Caravans, North - street, Stoke, where there has been an encampment for more than 100 years. has sustained an irreplaceable loss through the death of their leader. Rabbi Boswell

Friday 07 November 1930
 Staffordshire Sentinel
  Staffordshire 

City's Romany Caravan Dwellers
  ROMANTIC CUSTOMS. That a family of the Romany tribe has been living in caravans on land in North-street. Stoke, for 150 years was revealed at the Stoke Stipendiary Court this morning by Mr. H. Grindey, who defended three members of the Boswell tribe

Friday 07 November 1930
  Staffordshire Sentinel
  Staffordshire 

FOR 150 YEARS. In defending the Boswells. Mr. Grinciey said that John and Harry had been on the land for 37 years For 150 years or more a portion of the Waste land had been tenanted by their ancestors. The defendants were gipsies

Thursday 20 April 1911
  Staffordshire Sentinel
  Staffordshire 

SERIOUS CHARGE AGAINST STOKE MEN
  Alleged Robbery with Violence. At the - Stoke Police Court   Hugo Boswell, alias Gibbs. 21. van dweller of North street. Stoke

Saturday 24 February 1900
  Staffordshire Sentinel
  Staffordshire 

STOKE FORTUNE-TELLER SENT TO PRISON
  The defendant was a woman named Madonna alias Gibbs,  a  gipsy's living in a van near North-street, She was charged with pretending tell fortunes 

Tuesday 20 February 1900
  Northern Daily Telegraph
  Lancashire 

FORTUNE-TELLING BY CARDS. At Hanley, yesterday, Madonna Bagguley, alias Gibbs, was charged with fraud by pretending to tell fortunes to two women 

Saturday 24 February 1900
  Leicester Chronicle
  Leicestershire

FORTUNE-TELLER SENT TO PRISON. Before the Potteries Stipendiary Harold Wright, at Hanley. on Monday. Madonna Bagguley, a middle-aged woman, who lives in a van at Cliffe Vale, was charged with pretending to tell fortunes   

Monday 01 March 1897
  Exeter and Plymouth Gazette
  Devon   
  On Saturday evening Joshua Lovell Gibbs, a gipsy, was charged with getting money by false pretence

Saturday 16 November 1895
  Gloucester Journal
 Gloucestershire 

CITY POLICE INTELLIGENCE
  A summons was taken out by Emily Moody against Madonna Buckland, gipsy, for assault. There was a cross-summons, and another against Seenty Buckland, daughter of Madonna Buckland for using threats ' November 7th. All the parties live in ...

Tuesday 22 December 1891
  Gloucester Citizen
  Gloucestershire 

On Monday, at Hanley, Madonna Gibbs and Emily Linian, two gipsies, were sent to prison for one month each for fortune-telling, and they were also ordered to 

Thursday 24 December 1891
 Staffordshire Chronicle
staffordshire
  the gipsy which from an overpowering faith in their power to tamper with forbidden secrets. Madonna Gibbs  in  Stoke the other day, the servants  factory girls paid her mony 

Wednesday 23 December 1891
  Yorkshire Evening Post
  Yorkshire

FORTUNE-TELLING in THE POTTERIES. TRAPPED BY POLICEMEN' WIVES.
 Madonna Gibbs, a gipsy. was charged with breach of the Act by pretending to tell fortunes

Thursday 18 November 1875
 Edinburgh Evening News
  Midlothian   

SUPERSTITION AT BIRMINGHAM.

Madonna Hearn, a young gipsy, was brought before the Birmingham magistrates yesterday charged with obtaining mony from one Selina Palmer  on pretence of telling her fortune   

Saturday 20 September 1862
  Cardiff and Merthyr Guardian, Glamorgan, Monmouth, and Brecon Gazette
  Glamorgan Wales

LLANDAFF PETTY SESSIONS,
  DRUNK AND DISOrDEILY.—Thomas Gibbs, alias Lovell, charged with this offence he was discharged with a strict caution

Offline WOLVERHAMPTON HIGGS

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Major Boswell
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 15 January 23 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi - Here is my Major Boswell puzzle....

I share DNA with Cinemente Boswell, who has a birth entry stating that her father was Major Boswell and mother Lucy Boswell (West Markham, Nottinghamshire, in 1811). She later states on her marriage certificate that her father is John Vernon, but Lucy has remarried a John Vernon by then, so I think she just enters his name.

My direct line (Eliza) was born in 1812, a year after Cinemente.  I also share DNA with an Elijah Boswell, whose birth record is in 1798 - the same year that Major Boswell marries Lucy, which I don't think is a co-incidence.  His birth entry merely states he was a gypsy and does not mention any parental names.

Many people are calling Elijah 'Lazareth', as there is a birth entry for a Lazareth (Elijah is not noted as his name, but their are later entries on other documents for an Elijah Lazareth) to a Lucy Boswell and Viney Boswell. However, I believe that that is a different Lazareth, or Elijah Lazareth. There may be several Lucy's.

I am totally confused. The issue I have is this.....as several people have stated in this thread, and it seems to be generally stated, the story is that the Major Boswell who married Lucy Boswell, later married Mary Linyan/Linion. However, the births of the children do not match up. Major and Mary have children at the same time that Major and Lucy are having children, making it look like he kept swapping between wives. 

If anyone can shed anymore light on this puzzle, or have DNA information for any of these individuals, I would be very grateful if you could post on this thread. Thank you.